The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 10:11am
He would like QBert. QBert is a known white supremacist.
Just because he's Slavic—look at all those consonants—doesn't mean Q*Bert is a white supremacist. :naughty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 10:35pm
tepista wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 10:27pm
Those Flock of Seagulls haircuts were probably the worst ever.
Someone should tell Brett Kavanaugh and his buddies that there is someone who "looks" like Ali Campbell in this image... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

tepista wrote:
No Phil Collins, criminal.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
tepista wrote:
No Phil Collins because he's a musical criminal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:38pm
Heston wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
tepista wrote:
No Phil Collins because he's a musical criminal.
Alas, Phil has never been hip... :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man, Elfman was so weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 1:10pm
Finally, some good news: https://globalnews.ca/news/4585307/rush ... s-to-tour/
Yeah, well, Phil Collins said so as well and look what happened.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 1:10pm
Finally, some good news: https://globalnews.ca/news/4585307/rush ... s-to-tour/
Yeah, well, Phil Collins said so as well and look what happened.
Don't ruin my hopes!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Settle something for me. I'm a member of a FB group with some friends, and a lot of other people I don't know, in which we talk about stuff that we don't want on our own FB pages. Mainly politics. But sometimes GNDA as well. Yesterday, someone posted the news story about Tracy Chapman suing Nicki Minaj for copyright infringement. I replied "Good for Tracy. But she's still a mediocre artist. I'm not saying she sucks. She's...fine." Several people JUMPED down my throat as if I insulted their puppies. One guy said "She's won three Grammys!!!" I said "So has Creed!!!" Am I crazy for thinking this? Is Tracy Chapman considered one of the greats now? Or is this like the millenials loving Toto?
Got a Rake? Sure!

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

JennyB wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 9:53am
Settle something for me. I'm a member of a FB group with some friends, and a lot of other people I don't know, in which we talk about stuff that we don't want on our own FB pages. Mainly politics. But sometimes GNDA as well. Yesterday, someone posted the news story about Tracy Chapman suing Nicki Minaj for copyright infringement. I replied "Good for Tracy. But she's still a mediocre artist. I'm not saying she sucks. She's...fine." Several people JUMPED down my throat as if I insulted their puppies. One guy said "She's won three Grammys!!!" I said "So has Creed!!!" Am I crazy for thinking this? Is Tracy Chapman considered one of the greats now? Or is this like the millenials loving Toto?
She's okay, but she's no Suzanne Vega.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 10:24am
JennyB wrote:
Right! She's...fine.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 10:41am
JoseUnidos wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 10:24am
JennyB wrote:
Right! She's...fine.
Fast Car is good, apparently overplayed to certain age groups. There was some minor hit in the late 90s "Give Me a Reason" or something? that was pretty blah to me. Yeah, she's okay. Definitely can't imagine feeling strongly one way or the other about her.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
There is zero evidence that she's anything but okay in terms of wider influence or critical appeal. She's made a living of artistry and good for her, but she's by no means Important.