13 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:03pm
revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:46am

I'm currently working on a complete Chilliwack LP collection... :mrgreen:

We went to a really cool shop in Orillia and the owner talked my ear off about Bruce Cockburn.
I never heard of him til I moved here in the late 80s. All the peacenik hippie types loved him.
Which is funny because he's such a miserable downer.
I have to confess that I felt pressured to purchase a copy of Cockburn's "Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws" LP because the shop owner kept talking about it. He claimed it was a classic Canadian album and actually pulled out a copy and handed it to me. The guy was really nice and it was only $5 Canadian so I bought it. I'm thinking I'll never probably listen to it - but hey - I guess it can always be a reminder about our trip to Orillia, Ontario!
Flex did the same to me when I visited his old music store.

And $5 Canadian does that mean he paid you to take it?
I think so... :mrgreen:

I also think if I would have said no that he probably would have just given me the LP for free. He was adamant that I hear it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 10:43am
I also think if I would have said no that he probably would have just given me the LP for free. He was adamant that I hear it.
Had you known what you were getting yourself into, you could have been armed with a copy of CtC as part of a swap. Let that be a lesson to us all, carry around a copy of CtC for emergencies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 10:49am
WestwayKid wrote:
Had you known what you were getting yourself into, you could have been armed with a copy of CtC as part of a swap. Let that be a lesson to us all, carry around a copy of CtC for emergencies.
I thought all copies had been destroyed. Didn't you all get the memo? I've done my part.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I thought all copies had been destroyed. Didn't you all get the memo? I've done my part.
I don't have any physical product—but at various times I've had it on cassette, vinyl, and cd; tho only the cassette was purchased new—but I think I have, like, five different versions of the album, including Marky's stuff, a Japanese edition, etc. It's beyond perverse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 11:16am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I don't have any physical product—but at various times I've had it on cassette, vinyl, and cd; tho only the cassette was purchased new—but I think I have, like, five different versions of the album, including Marky's stuff, a Japanese edition, etc. It's beyond perverse.
It's the greatest artefact of the 21st century.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
What Marky is saying is that it was 15 years ahead of its time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 12:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Or a hundred years ahead, and predicts total social and cultural collapse.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 12:56pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think it predicts the total clusterfuck of Brexit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 12:56pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think it predicts the total clusterfuck of Brexit.
Bernie, you goddamned genius!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Always smart to pick an album title that invites a shit-ton of snarky responses.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I must have heard ABBA's Chiquitita and Fernando hundreds of times and to this day it still takes me to the vocals to come in to work out what song it is. They're not even that similar, anyone else see it?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 10:23am
Always smart to pick an album title that invites a shit-ton of snarky responses.
I heard the lead off single yesterday and quite liked it. Typical sound but it's got a tune.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My entry point was PiL. Before it was anyone else's!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:43pm
My entry point was PiL. Before it was anyone else's!
PiL would be mine, too, but in a roundabout way. Album to Sex Pistols to Second Edition and This Is What You Want.