Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 9:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 1:35pm
An expression of angst: I'm about to read a term paper about Supertramp's Breakfast in America. X(
Great song.
No. And the paper was not good.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 9:54pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An expression of angst: I'm about to read a term paper about Supertramp's Breakfast in America. X(
Great song.
Not much of a girlfriend (girlfriend)

Never seem to get a lot
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 10:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Great song.

Never seem to get a lot
No. You shouldn't do that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 10:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Great song.

Never seem to get a lot
Ah, the Gym Class Heroes.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 7:52pm
An expression of joy: a paper on Cyndi Lauper and wrestling. It's quite wonderful.
That sounds delightful. Gave me a smile on a Monday morning.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An expression of joy: a paper on Cyndi Lauper and wrestling. It's quite wonderful.
The kid writes quite well and, holy moly, he knows a lot about pro wrestling. The implications of his argument are pretty modest, but the whole thing is executed very well.

edit: Reading one now on Jello and the PMRC, which has extra interest for me personally and because I plan on writing about it myself in the next couple years.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:58am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The kid writes quite well and, holy moly, he knows a lot about pro wrestling. The implications of his argument are pretty modest, but the whole thing is executed very well.

edit: Reading one now on Jello and the PMRC, which has extra interest for me personally and because I plan on writing about it myself in the next couple years.
It sounds like your class is turning our better than you'd hoped?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 11:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh god, no. I've just hit the elite patch at the end. The papers have been very poor as a whole. I've had to downgrade my expectations or else there might have been only one A in the whole class. Despite my talking to them a great deal about do's and do-not-do's on writing and argument, I've concluded that I sound like the teachers in Peanuts cartoons. Trust me, as much as I liked most of them on a personal level, as a group they weren't intellectually curious.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:01pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh god, no. I've just hit the elite patch at the end. The papers have been very poor as a whole. I've had to downgrade my expectations or else there might have been only one A in the whole class. Despite my talking to them a great deal about do's and do-not-do's on writing and argument, I've concluded that I sound like the teachers in Peanuts cartoons. Trust me, as much as I liked most of them on a personal level, as a group they weren't intellectually curious.
I remember all that shit. The Wild Samoans are The Rock's uncles, ya know.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

But what about the Angry Samoans?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:44pm
tepista wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But what about the Angry Samoans?
They were left out, thats why so angry.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i am sitting here dying of laughter at this whole exchange
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for the musicians here (more precisely the gee-tarists): Is there a term for the guitar thing (the more prominent part in the mix) that Geordie is doing? That rhythmic pattern, I mean. It's a pretty common device, especially in early punk, and I'm curious whether it has a name, even a slang one. As in, "Hey, Nige, play a [that guitar thing] here."

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 8:31pm
Question for the musicians here (more precisely the gee-tarists): Is there a term for the guitar thing (the more prominent part in the mix) that Geordie is doing? That rhythmic pattern, I mean. It's a pretty common device, especially in early punk, and I'm curious whether it has a name, even a slang one. As in, "Hey, Nige, play a [that guitar thing] here."

It's called a "Hey, Nige, play a pretty common device found in early punk" riff. :mrgreen:

If it was more melodic/catchier/stood out more it might be called a "figure".
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs