Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 9:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 9:02pm

This absolutely hideous/hilarious late 70s Canadian vaguely prog piece of shit popped into my brainbox. Listen to/endure this, drink up the lyrics, and remember the kind of stuff that punk opposed with righteous scorn.
Needs more cowbell.
Needs more firing squad.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Prank Caller Immediately Regrets Calling Jello Biafra

https://thehardtimes.net/music/punk-har ... linkin.bio

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 2:24pm
Prank Caller Immediately Regrets Calling Jello Biafra

https://thehardtimes.net/music/punk-har ... linkin.bio
I’ve seen that one before. It works because it seems so plausible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 9:15pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This absolutely hideous/hilarious late 70s Canadian vaguely prog piece of shit popped into my brainbox. Listen to/endure this, drink up the lyrics, and remember the kind of stuff that punk opposed with righteous scorn.
Needs more cowbell.
Needs more firing squad.
Curious about them, I looked them up on Wikipedia and found this tidbit about their original lead singer:

"Several former members of Prism were in the preliminary discussion stages of a Prism reunion in late 1984. Al Harlow and Ron Tabak had made plans to spend Christmas 1984 together at Harlow's place in Kitsilano. Tabak decided to cycle to Harlow's home on Christmas Eve as a way to get some exercise. This turned out to be poor judgment, as the roads were snow covered and he rode at night without a headlight and helmet and had consumed a large quantity of alcohol. On the way, near Kingsway and Earles Street, Tabak was struck by a passing vehicle, fell and hit his head on the pavement. He was taken by ambulance to the Burnaby General Hospital where he abruptly became abusive and uncooperative, prompting staff to call Burnaby RCM Police. Two Constables arrested him, thinking he was under the influence of alcohol and he was held in Burnaby cells. He was later discovered unconscious in his jail cell and was rushed by ambulance to Royal Columbian Hospital. A second examination discovered a blood clot had developed on the right side of his brain. Tabak died of an aneurysm on Christmas Day 1984, before a pending neurosurgical operation could be performed. Previously discussed plans for a Prism reunion were canceled, out of respect for Tabak's death."
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 5:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Needs more cowbell.
Needs more firing squad.
Curious about them, I looked them up on Wikipedia and found this tidbit about their original lead singer:

"Several former members of Prism were in the preliminary discussion stages of a Prism reunion in late 1984. Al Harlow and Ron Tabak had made plans to spend Christmas 1984 together at Harlow's place in Kitsilano. Tabak decided to cycle to Harlow's home on Christmas Eve as a way to get some exercise. This turned out to be poor judgment, as the roads were snow covered and he rode at night without a headlight and helmet and had consumed a large quantity of alcohol. On the way, near Kingsway and Earles Street, Tabak was struck by a passing vehicle, fell and hit his head on the pavement. He was taken by ambulance to the Burnaby General Hospital where he abruptly became abusive and uncooperative, prompting staff to call Burnaby RCM Police. Two Constables arrested him, thinking he was under the influence of alcohol and he was held in Burnaby cells. He was later discovered unconscious in his jail cell and was rushed by ambulance to Royal Columbian Hospital. A second examination discovered a blood clot had developed on the right side of his brain. Tabak died of an aneurysm on Christmas Day 1984, before a pending neurosurgical operation could be performed. Previously discussed plans for a Prism reunion were canceled, out of respect for Tabak's death."
Well, that's unfortunate. It doesn't change how much contempt I feel for their shitty music, but that's still sad.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 6:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Needs more cowbell.
Needs more firing squad.

Well, that's unfortunate. It doesn't change how much contempt I feel for their shitty music, but that's still sad.
Canada can't even do rock and roll deaths very well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 6:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Needs more cowbell.
Needs more firing squad.

Canada can't even do rock and roll deaths very well.
I … can't refute this. At all. :disshame:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I reckon the band were originally an R&B band called Dog's Leg. At a band meeting the singer says "sorry lads this isn't going to get us any sweet chart action".
"I suggest we change our name to Prism and play a mix of Pink Floyd meets Kiss via Leif Garrett".

The rest of the band in unison,
"Rock on!"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 10:51am
I reckon the band were originally an R&B band called Dog's Leg. At a band meeting the singer says "sorry lads this isn't going to get us any sweet chart action".
"I suggest we change our name to Prism and play a mix of Pink Floyd meets Kiss via Leif Garrett".

"Rock on!"
Throw in Canadian content rules for the media and the stage was set for successful mediocrity!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:

"Rock on!"
Throw in Canadian content rules for the media and the stage was set for successful mediocrity!
From the Wikipedia entry for the song you posted: "Musically the song was influenced by "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk, songs from the album Who's Next by the Who, and "Free Ride" by the Edgar Winter Group."
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:

"Rock on!"
From the Wikipedia entry for the song you posted: "Musically the song was influenced by "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk, songs from the album Who's Next by the Who, and "Free Ride" by the Edgar Winter Group."
Also influenced by a mean shit the songwriter took that day.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 9:11pm
The best satire doesn’t read as satire.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20230303_174515_Instagram.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 6:46pm
Screenshot_20230303_174515_Instagram.jpg
You've made an enemy who follows at least five social influencers.