The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 8:31pm
Question for the musicians here (more precisely the gee-tarists): Is there a term for the guitar thing (the more prominent part in the mix) that Geordie is doing? That rhythmic pattern, I mean. It's a pretty common device, especially in early punk, and I'm curious whether it has a name, even a slang one. As in, "Hey, Nige, play a [that guitar thing] here."

I've nicknamed it "chugging" but I don't know if it has a name that exists outside my head.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 6:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Question for the musicians here (more precisely the gee-tarists): Is there a term for the guitar thing (the more prominent part in the mix) that Geordie is doing? That rhythmic pattern, I mean. It's a pretty common device, especially in early punk, and I'm curious whether it has a name, even a slang one. As in, "Hey, Nige, play a [that guitar thing] here."

I've nicknamed it "chugging" but I don't know if it has a name that exists outside my head.
Yeah, that's what I call it, too, especially when I hear it in metal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 7:08am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

When I read the descriptions, I thought it was going to be a palm-muted 16th note part, but what's on the recording doesn't really have a name. It's just a rhythm.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

When I read the descriptions, I thought it was going to be a palm-muted 16th note part, but what's on the recording doesn't really have a name. It's just a rhythm.
So if you were in a band, you'd tell the guitarist to play what? How do you communicate that?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 3:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So if you were in a band, you'd tell the guitarist to play what? How do you communicate that?
You can't. All you can do is imitate it with your voice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 3:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yeah or I'd play it for him on my bass to show him what I'm talking about. If he was the type, I might notate the rhythm for him though.

I think I'd write it as staccato 8th notes on the one, the & of two, and the four, repeated.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Well, then I think James and I should get some kind of linguistic credit and you dumb musicians should call it chugging.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 4:01pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, then I think James and I should get some kind of linguistic credit and you dumb musicians should call it chugging.
It would look something like this.

This would be chugging:

Last edited by Kory on 13 Dec 2017, 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 4:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

To the patent office!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

This would be chugging:

Not many.guitar players I know can read, never mind read music.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 4:27pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This would be chugging:

Not many.guitar players I know can read, never mind read music.
You've spoken a great truth today.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Thats not chugging, this is chugging

Also from urban dictionary
chugging
In the UK - drinking game for naked guys, usually rugby-football players. Needs three guys. One guy bends over with his ass in the air. Another pours a can of beer from high up so the beer trickles down the first guy's ass crack and over his balls. Meanwhile a third guy holds his head between the first guy's thighs and the beer goes in his mouth and he drinks it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 5:25pm

chugging
In the UK - drinking game for naked guys, usually rugby-football players. Needs three guys. One guy bends over with his ass in the air. Another pours a can of beer from high up so the beer trickles down the first guy's ass crack and over his balls. Meanwhile a third guy holds his head between the first guy's thighs and the beer goes in his mouth and he drinks it.
The world is ill. X(

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:

chugging
The world is ill. X(
Ok Mr Moore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:

chugging
The world is ill. X(
Ok Mr Moore.
I don't want to brag, but I'm also totally unelectable.