The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Inder »

A thousand curses upon anyone using the term "cultural appropriation" at all seriously.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 9:57am
A thousand curses upon anyone using the term "cultural appropriation" at all seriously.
Think I had a 10'' single by them once. I didn't like it though it sounded too distorted.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hey there, funky skunks:

Just found a blog of obscure music—public-embarrassment-blues.blogspot.ca—including some interesting post-punk compilations, a UK one call Messthetics and an American series called Homework. But there's tons more in there.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:23pm
Hey there, funky skunks:

Just found a blog of obscure music—public-embarrassment-blues.blogspot.ca—including some interesting post-punk compilations, a UK one call Messthetics and an American series called Homework. But there's tons more in there.
NIIIIICE. I’ll check it out.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 10:08am
Inder wrote:
Think I had a 10'' single by them once. I didn't like it though it sounded too distorted.
:lol:
A couple days ago I saw a headline on my Google news feed - a headline - saying "Bruno Mars accused of cultural appropriation." Didn't read it, but my only thought was "Oh. Really?"
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 7:30pm

From an article I'm reading about music and hypnotism/brainwashing. This would be a solid album cover photo and/or poster.
Did I ever mention that my step-grandfather helped pioneer hypnosis therapy for burn victims? He was also a narcissistic asshole, but it's interesting stuff.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 10:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

From an article I'm reading about music and hypnotism/brainwashing. This would be a solid album cover photo and/or poster.
Did I ever mention that my step-grandfather helped pioneer hypnosis therapy for burn victims? He was also a narcissistic asshole, but it's interesting stuff.
Cool. You consistently show that you have a seriously fascinating set of relatives.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 12:11pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Cool. You consistently show that you have a seriously fascinating set of relatives.
Well, I do have a couple of cousins who totally suck.
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was the hypnosis for pain relief? as that is a subject I am interested in. If so why only burn victims was there something different about burn injuries?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 3:39pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was the hypnosis for pain relief? as that is a subject I am interested in. If so why only burn victims was there something different about burn injuries?
No, it was for pain relief, but he focused on burn victims. I think I recall a patient of his whose car was bombed in some kind of mafia revenge plot or something like that. I will have to find the article.

ETA - here it is: https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... rs-keeper/

(it's a really interesting article, actually. More about the bombing than my grandfather).
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 3:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 3:39pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, it was for pain relief, but he focused on burn victims. I think I recall a patient of his whose car was bombed in some kind of mafia revenge plot or something like that. I will have to find the article.

ETA - here it is: https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... rs-keeper/

(it's a really interesting article, actually. More about the bombing than my grandfather).
Thanks. It is a very interesting science and I don’t understand why it isn’t more widely explored. Pain is not a real thing and if you can block it out it can change the way we deal with medical procedures / anaesthetic opening up the field of surgery to everyone plus the cost implications.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

muppet hi fi wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 6:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
A couple days ago I saw a headline on my Google news feed - a headline - saying "Bruno Mars accused of cultural appropriation." Didn't read it, but my only thought was "Oh. Really?"
Yeah.

The idea that culture is something that should be walled off and jealously guarded — and people are only allowed to understand/appreciate/approach it if they pass whatever arbitrary standards whatever arbitrary self-appointed guardian decides passes muster — is something I find fundamentally objectionable. Like with so many other faddish online social justice things, it's so much half-cocked critical theory that somehow enters mainstream discourse by mixing up a way of understanding things with a way of diagnosing things.

If your problem is with capital and racism, say your problem is with capital and racism. Don't hop on the buzzy bandwagon and proclaim yourself the fucking Great Decider of Culture.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:50pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
Yeah.

The idea that culture is something that should be walled off and jealously guarded — and people are only allowed to understand/appreciate/approach it if they pass whatever arbitrary standards whatever arbitrary self-appointed guardian decides passes muster — is something I find fundamentally objectionable. Like with so many other faddish online social justice things, it's so much half-cocked critical theory that somehow enters mainstream discourse by mixing up a way of understanding things with a way of diagnosing things.

If your problem is with capital and racism, say your problem is with capital and racism. Don't hop on the buzzy bandwagon and proclaim yourself the fucking Great Decider of Culture.
As I understand it, the issue is mainly of white artists using bits of other culture, making a ton of money, and not crediting or paying their sources, is that right? Like the much reported-on Led Zeppelin debacles?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 3:08pm
Inder wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
Yeah.

As I understand it, the issue is mainly of white artists using bits of other culture, making a ton of money, and not crediting or paying their sources, is that right? Like the much reported-on Led Zeppelin debacles?
More or less. The Bruno Mars thing has less to do with Bruno Mars' music itself, than mainstream America's reception of his music relative to the black artists he borrows/steals from, which I don't think is an unfair point. But again, that might fall under the "racism" umbrella and is not so much a criticism of Mars himself.

I've seen this extend to cooking/food as well which everyone does. If you see a white guy cooking at a Chinese restaurant, most people would scoff and make some broadly assumptive comment about "authenticity" or lack thereof as if people should only recreate the food of their childhood and never venture beyond.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 3:08pm
Inder wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
Yeah.

I was referring mainly to the Bruno Mars stuff.

Her point, "we want our black culture from non-black bodies," is very valid. That's where a discussion/critique of racism and capital should come in, not this idiotic notion that cultural spaces should be closed to anyone who doesn't fill whatever criteria you decide to make up.

Edit: what Matey said, too.