Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 9:22am
Flex wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 8:19am
I've been seeing more and more of "this [album] turns [year] today" pieces of late. Is it more a case of an easy way to generate content or the sense that we're regarding music/culture in the past tense now? I assume it's more the former, but can't dismiss the latter.
It's just clickbait nonsense. "Thing from your adolescence is old now. You are old now." Yeah, that's how the passage of time works, AI generated "article"
Just for conversation's sake—because I largely agree with you here—there is a presumption that there's an audience for this, that wants to relive the past in this way. Is the present/future stagnant enough that someone in their 20s wants to celebrate something from their adolescence? We all go into consolidation mode as we get older when it comes to culture, but it's unsettling if "older" is getting younger and younger.
Its like a that album you may have liked and maybe owned at one time is now X years old and you can probably buy it again or maybe for the first time and show it off at your next party so we can sell more over priced vinyl that will maybe get played once.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 9:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've been seeing more and more of "this [album] turns [year] today" pieces of late. Is it more a case of an easy way to generate content or the sense that we're regarding music/culture in the past tense now? I assume it's more the former, but can't dismiss the latter.
It's just clickbait nonsense. "Thing from your adolescence is old now. You are old now." Yeah, that's how the passage of time works, AI generated "article"
Just for conversation's sake—because I largely agree with you here—there is a presumption that there's an audience for this, that wants to relive the past in this way. Is the present/future stagnant enough that someone in their 20s wants to celebrate something from their adolescence? We all go into consolidation mode as we get older when it comes to culture, but it's unsettling if "older" is getting younger and younger.
I need the internet to tell me when we hit the 25th anniversary of Crazy Town's The Gift of Game.
I initially read this as 25 anniversary of Crazy Train and for a moment thought I was much younger.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I need the internet to tell me when we hit the 25th anniversary of Crazy Town's The Gift of Game.
Hoy is our mad hacker because he’s broken into another person’s account.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 9:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Its like a that album you may have liked and maybe owned at one time is now X years old and you can probably buy it again or maybe for the first time and show it off at your next party so we can sell more over priced vinyl that will maybe get played once.
Like CtC!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:04am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There is a good chance he already knows then the 25th anniversary is.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Also, Shifty Shellshock might be the 90-ist name ever.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

There is a good chance he already knows then the 25th anniversary is.
He’s having the party catered, assuming he can find a caterer that stocks Surge.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:30am
Well that's something. I can tell from the periodic times when he's playing, that he knows how to play properly based on his technique.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:42am
revbob wrote:
Well that's something. I can tell from the periodic times when he's playing, that he knows how to play properly based on his technique.
Heston would approve

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:44am
matedog wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 10:42am
revbob wrote:
Heston would approve
He does love amelodic free jazz.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://qthemusic.com/p/pete-townshend- ... well-tour/

Among the worst Boomer qualities, it's the inability to know when it's time to get off the stage.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20240401_160847.jpg
20240401_155324.jpg
Finally made this pilgrimage. Im a bit disappointed by the scaffolding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I had a memory of the Rush comp I bought in college having a music video collection and there being some terrible in the mix. I tried to find the video, but it turns out all Rush videos are horribly bad: