The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

Brian Wilson. For fan of: The Skamaphoridites, Napalm Death and Hank Williams.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Bottom line, however - is that I now have a SLF's show to look forward to in October!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
08 May 2019, 11:45am
Brian Wilson. For fan of: The Skamaphoridites, Napalm Death and Hank Williams.
Ha! Funny you mention Mr. Wilson, however. I also got a Facebook notification that he's playing Milwaukee in September with the Zombies. It's a 1968 themed show. The Zombies are playing Odessey and Oracle and Brian is playing selections from Friends and Sunflower. I think I definitely want to see this show. Sunflower doesn't quite fit the 1968 theme, however. I believe the first sessions that would go towards Sunflower were the sessions Dennis conducted in early 1969.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:38pm
Ha! Funny you mention Mr. Wilson, however. I also got a Facebook notification that he's playing Milwaukee in September with the Zombies. It's a 1968 themed show. The Zombies are playing Odessey and Oracle and Brian is playing selections from Friends and Sunflower. I think I definitely want to see this show. Sunflower doesn't quite fit the 1968 theme, however. I believe the first sessions that would go towards Sunflower were the sessions Dennis conducted in early 1969.
Yeah, I saw that announcement as well (so he was on the brain). DEFINITELY gonna be trying to make both that and the SLF show when they hit Denver. I've seen Brian solo a couple times and it's been very rewarding with Blondie and Al in the band, although I heard his last holiday themed tour was pretty bad. I'd do pretty unspeakable things in order to see Brian perform Til I Die live.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

SLF are still superb live. Jake's still got the voice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:38pm
Yeah, I saw that announcement as well (so he was on the brain). DEFINITELY gonna be trying to make both that and the SLF show when they hit Denver. I've seen Brian solo a couple times and it's been very rewarding with Blondie and Al in the band, although I heard his last holiday themed tour was pretty bad. I'd do pretty unspeakable things in order to see Brian perform Til I Die live.
I've also seen him solo a couple of times and it's been hit and miss. He definitely benefits from having a solid backing band and I agree - Blondie and Al have really elevated the whole show. I've heard Brian perform Til I Die live - back on the Pet Sounds Tour in 2000 in Chicago. I like the idea of a 1968 era show - Friends and Sunflower are some of my fave BB records. I'm thinking he'd also pull out some 20/20 era tracks, too.

I've read some differing opinions on whether or not Brian actually enjoys touring. The most eye opening came from Jon Stebbins in The Beach Boys FAQ. It was kind of a bummer and really left me wondering if Brian actually does enjoy playing live or whether it is something pushed on him. I want to say off the top of my head I've seen him solo 6 times and it's been all over the board. There were shows where he clearly was not engaged and it was uncomfortable to watch. I've also seen shows where he has been very much on and it has been fantastic - his voice has sounded great and he really seemed happy to be taking an active part in the performance of his music.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
08 May 2019, 1:30pm
SLF are still superb live. Jake's still got the voice.
I'm definitely not going to miss this one!!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Ebony & Ivory came on earlier. It's nowhere near as bad as these 'worst songs ever' polls make out. It's far from perfect but the chorus is quite pleasant.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:45pm
Ebony & Ivory came on earlier. It's nowhere near as bad as these 'worst songs ever' polls make out. It's far from perfect but the chorus is quite pleasant.
I guess it is all perspective. There are worse songs but this is a Beatle and Stevie Wonder!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
The awful rep is in no small part because everyone knows that McCartney (and Wonder) can do better, yet, fuck a duck, he keeps emptying the slop bucket. On the other hand, that album has "Take It Away," maybe my favourite solo McCartney songs.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
I heard it yesterday on Smoooooth FM. It's a bit mawkish but a great melody. Certainly nowhere near a list of worst songs of any description.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:56pm
BitterTom wrote:
I guess it is all perspective. There are worse songs but this is a Beatle and Stevie Wonder!!!
I get the angle now, bit like if Messi and Ronaldo both went to Arsenal and were crap yeah?

Still a nice little ditty however

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:12pm
BitterTom wrote:
I heard it yesterday on Smoooooth FM. It's a bit mawkish but a great melody. Certainly nowhere near a list of worst songs of any description.
And you'll never guess what consistently tops those lists... :rolleyes:

What do they know anyway?

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:21pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

They certainly don't know about subversion.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:23pm
BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:21pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

They certainly don't know about subversion.
Blew my mind.