Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:16pm
Question for the Two-Tone crowd: What's the view on Madness' "Our House"? It's popped in my head a few times the last several days—I think it's being used for a commercial and it's penetrating my skull—and I've wondered if it's treated as legit in their catalogue or a dumb tune that caught the ear of the masses.
I like it. With a band that goofy, I think it's hard to justify anything as being "legit."
Less the goofy aspect than not being in any way ska. Is that meaningful to serious fans. Kind of like a lot of Clash fans sneering at TiV or SISTOSIG.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:14pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Question for the Two-Tone crowd: What's the view on Madness' "Our House"? It's popped in my head a few times the last several days—I think it's being used for a commercial and it's penetrating my skull—and I've wondered if it's treated as legit in their catalogue or a dumb tune that caught the ear of the masses.
I like it. With a band that goofy, I think it's hard to justify anything as being "legit."
Less the goofy aspect than not being in any way ska. Is that meaningful to serious fans. Kind of like a lot of Clash fans sneering at TiV or SISTOSIG.
Madness moved away from ska after the first album and took on their own sound although they did come back to ska later on Wonderful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Madness moved away from ska after the first album and took on their own sound although they did come back to ska later on Wonderful.
So Madness fans are accepting of that diversity and don't regard the ska-themed records as more "authentic"?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In my case (and thanks to the Clash, really) I'm not very hardline about a band sticking with the genre they introduced themselves as. I usually appreciate the chutzpah it takes to do something like that, and more power if the song is as good as "Our House." I'm sure there's much more militant 2-tone fans out there though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So Madness fans are accepting of that diversity and don't regard the ska-themed records as more "authentic"?
I would think so, same as any "serious" English Beat fan would probably feel the same way about that band.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In my case (and thanks to the Clash, really) I'm not very hardline about a band sticking with the genre they introduced themselves as. I usually appreciate the chutzpah it takes to do something like that, and more power if the song is as good as "Our House." I'm sure there's much more militant 2-tone fans out there though.
At one point in my life, I would have been part of that outraged "sell-out!" crowd, but I've come to believe those kinds of straitjackets that fans place on bands are symptomatic of the worst part of fandom.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The first Madness song I ever heard was Our House. Ive never been inclined to hear anymore.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I love Our House and never tire of it, it makes such brilliant observations about the mundaneness of life. It has something similar to what I hear in the Kinks, like an inherent sadness but it cheers you up at the same time.

"The kids are playing up downstairs" is such a brilliant line but the best part is that bit where Suggs and Chas Smash do that little duet....
I remember way back then when everything was true and when
We would have such a very good time, such a fine time
Such a happy time
And I remember how we'd play, simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us
Two dreamers
The strings are playing away in the background and it's just dripping with pathos. Fucking love it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:00pm
The first Madness song I ever heard was Our House. Ive never been inclined to hear anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_srIE-YAb8

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
This is wronger than anything I have ever wronged on here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:31pm
Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
At one point in my life, I would have been part of that outraged "sell-out!" crowd, but I've come to believe those kinds of straitjackets that fans place on bands are symptomatic of the worst part of fandom.
Madness were never just a ska band but because their first single was on the 2 Tone label and was a nod to Prince Buster (see above) they were considered a ska / 2 Tone band. Their debut album is a mix of ska, music hall, fairground, Kilburn and the High Roads, pop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:20pm
Madness were never just a ska band but because their first single was on the 2 Tone label and was a nod to Prince Buster (see above) they were considered a ska / 2 Tone band. Their debut album is a mix of ska, music hall, fairground, Kilburn and the High Roads, pop.
Huh. Okay, then I'm seriously ill-informed in thinking they were a ska band that branched out/sold out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:16pm
revbob wrote:
Your honour Id like to introduce exhibit A: The Kiss Thread, and exhibit B: the accusers claim that no good music existed before 1960.

And.... I rest my case.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:46pm
Heston wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:16pm
revbob wrote:
Your honour Id like to introduce exhibit A: The Kiss Thread, and exhibit B: the accusers claim that no good music existed before 1960.

And.... I rest my case.
it was 1964 actually. And just for the record, I didn't say that no good music existed, I just said that was when shit started to get really interesting. ;)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Is there an American or Canadian equivalent of Our House?