The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 11:17am
Thanks for that input. I really appreciate it. Mutant bizarreness is a good way to put it. I get the feeling I need to approach the Fall from that angle specifically. I’ll keep at it, and will check out 458489 and Palace of Swords Reversed and some of the Brix records. Listening to Prole Art Threat right now, the vid you posted…it’s on my comp but it never stood out until now. I’ve had it on repeat since I read your post, and I dig it. So much potential there for stuff I probably should like, but the immensity of the Fall catalog makes it a bit inaccessible to a relative newcomer. Thanks Doc.
You’re very welcome. Marky and SM—the two other Fall fans here that I know of—might have a different take, but I’d suggest doing Brix era first, then, if you’re still in the game, go backwards to the beginning. Then, go to the 21st century with The Unutterable up to Reformation. Stuff from the 90s and after Reformation is spotty—nothing awful, but nothing outstanding. There is a comp of 90s stuff called A Past Gone Mad that saves a lot of hassle, but even that is a bit ho-hum. And Dave Simpson’s book The Fallen, about all the people who have come and gone from the band, is worthwhile reading as a companion because it makes it all the more baffling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 8:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 8:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 7:22am
Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 3:41pm
I still can't get into them for some reason. I don't typically have any issues with sprechstimme (see: Devoto), but there's something about them I just don't find very interesting that I can't quite place.
It either clicks or doesn't. When people say they don't like the Fall, I never go into that, "Oh, you just haven't heard the right album yet" or something like that. They're not a group worth proselytizing about.
Oh, you just haven't proselytized about the right album yet.
Which album (non-compilation) would you use as an introduction to The Fall? I'm guessing something from the Brix years as that was their most accessible period.
That's actually a very good question. I would have to base my answer on the individual I was introducing the band to. Knowing what their tastes are first would make me choose from a early to later work.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 8:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 8:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 7:22am
Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 3:41pm
I still can't get into them for some reason. I don't typically have any issues with sprechstimme (see: Devoto), but there's something about them I just don't find very interesting that I can't quite place.
It either clicks or doesn't. When people say they don't like the Fall, I never go into that, "Oh, you just haven't heard the right album yet" or something like that. They're not a group worth proselytizing about.
Oh, you just haven't proselytized about the right album yet.
Which album (non-compilation) would you use as an introduction to The Fall? I'm guessing something from the Brix years as that was their most accessible period.
Most people tell me to try HEH, which I've done, and also lots of others. It might just be one of those things that hits me one day. I don't DISlike them, I just can't get excited about them really.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Neighbourhood of Infinity" (god what a good title!) off Perverted By Language (another good title) is my favourite Fall tune. Or has been for a couple years.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 3:57pm
https://loudwire.com/people-mad-pink-fl ... o-rainbow/

This is fantastic!
Everytime I see a rainbow in the sky it rains in my heart. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Whenever these things happens—deliberate or misinterpretation—it's baffling to think that someone would declare their fandom is over because the subject of their love had made a point of recognizing some people as human beings.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 5:11pm
WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Whenever these things happens—deliberate or misinterpretation—it's baffling to think that someone would declare their fandom is over because the subject of their love had made a point of recognizing some people as human beings.
Agreed.

Also, this underscores my belief that people just want to be outraged these days and they'll seek out any opportunity to express that outrage. How many people went to Floyd's Facebook page just to vent because they heard something was up? Anyone who is an actual fan of the band (and who would even be in a position to stop listening to them) would know why they created that logo to promote Dark Side's anniversary. Heck, it's one of the most iconic album covers ever. You can even buy Dark Side t-shirts at Target these days.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Unfollow

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Unfollow
:sad:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Agreed.

Also, this underscores my belief that people just want to be outraged these days and they'll seek out any opportunity to express that outrage. How many people went to Floyd's Facebook page just to vent because they heard something was up? Anyone who is an actual fan of the band (and who would even be in a position to stop listening to them) would know why they created that logo to promote Dark Side's anniversary. Heck, it's one of the most iconic album covers ever. You can even buy Dark Side t-shirts at Target these days.
It's suggestive as to how addictive faux outrage is, that people need that fix and the validation that comes from it. It seems a really sad existence, and I say this a person who isn't exactly bubbly.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:

This is fantastic!
Satire is dead
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Never saw thid before

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 11:23am
Never saw thid before
The look on Chuck's face says it all. :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Yoko's cool. Post punk before punk. Those boys didn't know how to deal with her, with their pop music and haircuts.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/