The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 9:13am
Id read this before. Smith definitely comes across as the one I would least likely to want to spend any time with.
There's a really good book called The Fallen where the author tries to track down all six thousand people who were in The Fall at one time or another to discuss their experiences. Plenty of horror stories but, bizarrely, so many would (or did) go back for another go 'round. To the outsider it's incomprehensible, yet there must be something there. Graham Duff's book Foreground Music also has a chapter on his friendship with MES that offers glimpses into the man's very strange charm.

(Whenever I now read these things involving MES, I think of Heston's beautiful line to some asshole poster here, "Are you this difficult in real life or is it an internet thing?" Just a perfect and concise textual pop in the nose.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I know this will help some people sleep better at night from not obsessing over the origin of the name Foghat. Also, I always forget they were/are? Brits.

https://americansongwriter.com/behind-t ... me-foghat/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 10:55am
I know this will help some people sleep better at night from not obsessing over the origin of the name Foghat. Also, I always forget they were/are? Brits.

I don’t mean this in a snotty way, but I’ve never paused to think about the name. Pointing it out, yeah, it is strange, but it’s gone completely past my consciousness this whole time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 11:30am
revbob wrote:

I don’t mean this in a snotty way, but I’ve never paused to think about the name. Pointing it out, yeah, it is strange, but it’s gone completely past my consciousness this whole time.
You're welcome.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 11:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You're welcome.
God but "Slow Ride" is nasty stripper music.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tumblr_ola5hithYD1u2m44po1_640.jpg
tumblr_ola5hithYD1u2m44po1_640.jpg (129 KiB) Viewed 370 times
One of the greatest 70's rock photos ever...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 12:03pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You're welcome.
It has its downsides, too, though.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You're welcome.
Take it easy Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 12:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You're welcome.
It has its downsides, too, though.
Name one.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just watched this documentary, which is more of a concert film than a documentary, I guess, but either way it was awesome. These dudes could straight up rock. I wasn't around in 1969, but it seemed as when rock was getting bigger and bloated and pretentious - here come these 4 guys from Frisco who were the opposite of that: straight forward rock and roll.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

In 1975 I went to a concert headlined by Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Supporting them on the bill that night was Foghat, a band I never heard of at the time. My lasting memory of their performance was one song that lasted like ten minutes, a Slow Ride indeed. They sounded pretty good but I wasn't there to see/hear them.

As for Creedence, they were a great little hit machine rock and roll band. John Fogerty is a living legend who wrote some awesome stuff. Love them.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

weller259 wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:12pm
In 1975 I went to a concert headlined by Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Supporting them on the bill that night was Foghat, a band I never heard of at the time. My lasting memory of their performance was one song that lasted like ten minutes, a Slow Ride indeed. They sounded pretty good but I wasn't there to see/hear them.

As for Creedence, they were a great little hit machine rock and roll band. John Fogerty is a living legend who wrote some awesome stuff. Love them.
Yeah, the amount of great stuff that was written in such a short span of time is amazing.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:03pm

Just watched this documentary, which is more of a concert film than a documentary, I guess, but either way it was awesome. These dudes could straight up rock. I wasn't around in 1969, but it seemed as when rock was getting bigger and bloated and pretentious - here come these 4 guys from Frisco who were the opposite of that: straight forward rock and roll.
I remember listening to a friends older brothers "Willy and the Poor Boys" LP when we were in grade school. I've always liked CCR & Fogerty, what's the name of the documentary you watched?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:17pm
weller259 wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:12pm

Yeah, the amount of great stuff that was written in such a short span of time is amazing.
I remember hearing a weird bit of trivia about them that they hold the record for the most top ten songs without a #1.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 2:03pm

I remember listening to a friends older brothers "Willy and the Poor Boys" LP when we were in grade school. I've always liked CCR & Fogerty, what's the name of the documentary you watched?
Here's the trailer: