The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

Hazel Eyes is far and away the best song off of "One Way Ticket..." As good as the better stuff on the first album.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Hazel Eyes is far and away the best song off of "One Way Ticket..." As good as the better stuff on the first album.
An observation: I hate you.

Another observation: the new Alice Donut album is pretty damned solid.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kurt Cobain doing Morrissey
[youtube][/youtube]
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Observation: I really like what I've heard of the new Tom Petty live anthology. I know exactly what I'm listening to during my 8-hour drive coming up in a couple weeks.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Billy Joel wrote:Observation: I really like what I've heard of the new Tom Petty live anthology. I know exactly what I'm listening to during my 8-hour drive coming up in a couple weeks.
You'd make my sister proud. Heading back up to Redding?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Billy Joel wrote:Observation: I really like what I've heard of the new Tom Petty live anthology. I know exactly what I'm listening to during my 8-hour drive coming up in a couple weeks.
Assjack?

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Flex wrote:
Assjack?
Yeah, in keeping with the philosophy of Xzibit, I've got a 6-CD changer so I put Assjack in all of them. FUCK YEAH

P.S. Yeah, going to Redding for 3 weeks. It'll be cool. Me and my grandpa are gonna meet Merle Haggard and I'll get to live somewhere where nobody knows me, which is like the most liberating feeling in the world.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:Hazel Eyes is far and away the best song off of "One Way Ticket..." As good as the better stuff on the first album.
I like Hazel Eyes, but it's not as good as the title track.

Best Darkness song is Friday Night, it's just wonderful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Fast forward to 2.55 and it sounds very like the bridge in Death Or Glory. Who'd a thunk Mick and Joe were listening to the Scorps?

[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Ha, thats my fave scorps song, that and speedys coming
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:

Best Darkness song is Friday Night, it's just wonderful.
My friend played Friday Night as his exit music at his wedding. Matt Patrol and I got so excited we started shouting the lyrics before we realized we were ruining them walking down the aisle.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Back in the 80's I thought this was a great song. The bass sounds better on a proper stereo.
[youtube][/youtube]

matedog

Post by matedog »

Suggestions:
My cheesy cover band is debating between playing Blur Song 2 and Hives' Hate to Say.... Given this will be for drunk folks in the middle of a set with ACDC, Zeppelin, RHCP, etc., what would be a better song to play?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Suggestions:
My cheesy cover band is debating between playing Blur Song 2 and Hives' Hate to Say.... Given this will be for drunk folks in the middle of a set with ACDC, Zeppelin, RHCP, etc., what would be a better song to play?
Song #2. They might recognize it from a commercial.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Suggestions:
Answer: Last Caress.

Pex Lives!