Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 6:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 6:48pm
On one hand i find that sad but when i think about it, it's at least more than i myself brought to my own college education which was a rugged determination to get as drunk for as long and cheaply as possible and not to hopelessly drown when i was suddenly thrown into this ocean of female talent i thought only existed in my dreams. So i basically squandered that chance, ended up in shit jobs for years and have never stopped regretting it even though rediscovering that yearning for education through adult learning courses has helped redress that balance. Still haunted though, in a course i loved and just wasted it. Did have some fun times all the same, so there is that too!
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't want to seem a scold who rejects any kind of social life at that age. It's in no small part in reaction to my own concerted efforts to let students be imaginative and, as much as possible, let them read and write about the stuff that means the most to them. It's like opening the door to the cage and telling them to run around, and instead they sit glumly in the cage. I fully understand that I'm always going to be the most enthusiastic dork in the classroom, whatever the topic (honestly, I'd probably do this shit for free), but it's disheartening how many are just killing time rather than come up with odd questions. Shit is supposed to be hard but it's also supposed to be fun.
Sounds to me you cant do anymore but its worth trying anyway. Can lead horse to water but cant make it drink kind of way. I know our system here is so heavily geared towards written exams that dont always test true life skills or imagination, rather the narrower skill sets needed to pass them. In my case i went straight from the suffocating confinement of school to the wild freedom of college and i couldnt handle that so effectively copped out. Think its better for this generation but not all that much.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 12:54pm
Inder wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 12:33pm

This is very strange and very bad.
I did not enjoy that.
There's no chance you would.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
On one hand i find that sad but when i think about it, it's at least more than i myself brought to my own college education which was a rugged determination to get as drunk for as long and cheaply as possible and not to hopelessly drown when i was suddenly thrown into this ocean of female talent i thought only existed in my dreams. So i basically squandered that chance, ended up in shit jobs for years and have never stopped regretting it even though rediscovering that yearning for education through adult learning courses has helped redress that balance. Still haunted though, in a course i loved and just wasted it. Did have some fun times all the same, so there is that too!
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't want to seem a scold who rejects any kind of social life at that age. It's in no small part in reaction to my own concerted efforts to let students be imaginative and, as much as possible, let them read and write about the stuff that means the most to them. It's like opening the door to the cage and telling them to run around, and instead they sit glumly in the cage. I fully understand that I'm always going to be the most enthusiastic dork in the classroom, whatever the topic (honestly, I'd probably do this shit for free), but it's disheartening how many are just killing time rather than come up with odd questions. Shit is supposed to be hard but it's also supposed to be fun.
Sounds to me you cant do anymore but its worth trying anyway. Can lead horse to water but cant make it drink kind of way. I know our system here is so heavily geared towards written exams that dont always test true life skills or imagination, rather the narrower skill sets needed to pass them. In my case i went straight from the suffocating confinement of school to the wild freedom of college and i couldnt handle that so effectively copped out. Think its better for this generation but not all that much.
It's the same way here. Pre-college school is suffocating and work is restrictive. I get the freedom of college and I'm not against it. Far from it, I wish more students figured out that there are other expressions of freedom than getting drunk and blowing off classes. It's because work life stinks that this is such a rare opportunity. Worse is the fact that it costs so damned much now for students. You're starting off adult life deep in debt, so maybe do more with it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 7:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It's the same way here. Pre-college school is suffocating and work is restrictive. I get the freedom of college and I'm not against it. Far from it, I wish more students figured out that there are other expressions of freedom than getting drunk and blowing off classes. It's because work life stinks that this is such a rare opportunity. Worse is the fact that it costs so damned much now for students. You're starting off adult life deep in debt, so maybe do more with it.
I agree completely, hence my shame and regret for blowing my own chance. Again only my experience, but when i reached college the onus to learn was all on me. Not saying that was wrong, but if i wanted to go to classes or tutorials or whatever and refuse to engage, nobody had a problem with that. They simply engaged with those who wanted to engage. I passed exams, not always first go but eventually, and neither learned anything nor left with anything meaningful beyond a worthless scroll. And only myself to blame.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 7:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I agree completely, hence my shame and regret for blowing my own chance. Again only my experience, but when i reached college the onus to learn was all on me. Not saying that was wrong, but if i wanted to go to classes or tutorials or whatever and refuse to engage, nobody had a problem with that. They simply engaged with those who wanted to engage. I passed exams, not always first go but eventually, and neither learned anything nor left with anything meaningful beyond a worthless scroll. And only myself to blame.
Hello,

This type of thinking (or lack of thinking) gets ingrained early as kids are taught "Pass this test'" rather than "Solve this problem" or "Figure out why this works". Administrators propel this downward onto faculty and preach to parents who adopt this mentality as well.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Side note about Art History. I took a 300-level High/Late Italian Renaissance course as an elective, and the actual Art History majors seemed shocked and resentful that I (at the time a weirdo studio art major with a theatre minor - those later flipped) was the only one in the class to get an A on the term paper. They were some of the least intellectually curious people I’ve ever met. It was depressing because the course fascinated me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 9:06pm
This type of thinking (or lack of thinking) gets ingrained early as kids are taught "Pass this test'" rather than "Solve this problem" or "Figure out why this works". Administrators propel this downward onto faculty and preach to parents who adopt this mentality as well.
So true. It's about getting the 3 CU rather than learning, having skills challenged and acquired. And, yeah, I can remember the pressures and expectations to get good grades and all that, but I also remember having my perspectives exploded and wanting to understand more. And it wasn't like I was a keener type. I barely got thru high school and my first year of university was spent directionless. But then shit clicked.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

[/quote]

Hello,

[/quote]

Yeah, scary thing for me was with the points system in place for college entry at the time, i only needed the very bare minimum to get to do the basic English/history arts degree i wanted to do. Now i check and you need a certain level of points to be accepted, a good deal more than i certainly would have been capable of as i had no aptitude for science or maths and was sadly useless at languages. I'm jealous of kids now in the sense that schools are more dynamic places with enlightened syllabi, but in another sense a little bit horrified at how much bigger a rat race the whole thing appears to have become.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Just wanna say very interesting discussion re: higher education and degrees visa vis the the culture at large, etc. And my hat's off to our two resident pro edumacators - Doc and gkbill (I know it can't be easy, chaps. No matter how occasionally satisfying or even fun). And it occurred to me that, while we all have the Clash in common here, the two biggest fans (other than me and Marky) of, to me, the Clash's equal - the Screaming Blue Messiahs - are both professors/teachers. hmmm...
"I didn't learn much
when I was young
Cuz ya don't learn much
where I come from..." - (SBM's "Smash the Market Place", 1984).
Anyway, carry on, gents...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 3:39am
Just wanna say very interesting discussion re: higher education and degrees visa vis the the culture at large, etc. And my hat's off to our two resident pro edumacators - Doc and gkbill (I know it can't be easy, chaps. No matter how occasionally satisfying or even fun). And it occurred to me that, while we all have the Clash in common here, the two biggest fans (other than me and Marky) of, to me, the Clash's equal - the Screaming Blue Messiahs - are both professors/teachers. hmmm...
"I didn't learn much
when I was young
Cuz ya don't learn much
where I come from..." - (SBM's "Smash the Market Place", 1984).
Anyway, carry on, gents...
I learnt nuffink in skool. I learned everything in school.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 4:46pm
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'll be honest although it isn't racist in the context of this or some other songs it is not a word I will usually even sing in my head as Im playing this song. And I have always been careful about playing it in front of my kids.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »