Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 1:29pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 12:35pm
Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:54pm
Yeah, I should do that or at least go the DVD backup route. Cloud storage irritates me because I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to store my music (on top of initial purchase plus paying for Internet). Of course, I'd rather have paid for that than lose a bunch of music, as I can attest.
Yeah, Backblaze is only $5 a month, which is worth it for me in case ALL of my physical storage gets damaged somehow.
How do you like Backblaze? $5 seems like a pretty decent price. How much storage does that get you?
It's unlimited cloud storage, but I can't speak to its actual value since I've never had to use it. It bills itself as a sort of armageddon backup that protects you against your entire computer getting destroyed. So I can't actually stream my music from it, but if my HD takes a dive, I can theoretically download the whole thing into a new computer.
Thanks for the info. With pCloud - I'm able to stream my music - which is a really nice feature.
I'll look into this, can't hurt to have a 4th backup!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 10:45am
I just brought a turntable up from the basement. We reconfigured the living/dining room into more of a great room - including some space for a small library and I thought it would be a nice fit. I was also inspired by our recent trip to Toronto as we visited a handful of used record shops and I rediscovered how much fun it is to browse the racks.
Sounds like someone's been bitten by the Chilliwack bug. Make sure your will is up to date.
I'm currently working on a complete Chilliwack LP collection... :mrgreen:

We went to a really cool shop in Orillia and the owner talked my ear off about Bruce Cockburn.
I never heard of him til I moved here in the late 80s. All the peacenik hippie types loved him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I just brought a turntable up from the basement. We reconfigured the living/dining room into more of a great room - including some space for a small library and I thought it would be a nice fit. I was also inspired by our recent trip to Toronto as we visited a handful of used record shops and I rediscovered how much fun it is to browse the racks.
Sounds like someone's been bitten by the Chilliwack bug. Make sure your will is up to date.

We went to a really cool shop in Orillia and the owner talked my ear off about Bruce Cockburn.
I never heard of him til I moved here in the late 80s. All the peacenik hippie types loved him.
Which is funny because he's such a miserable downer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:03pm
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I have to confess that I felt pressured to purchase a copy of Cockburn's "Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws" LP because the shop owner kept talking about it. He claimed it was a classic Canadian album and actually pulled out a copy and handed it to me. The guy was really nice and it was only $5 Canadian so I bought it. I'm thinking I'll never probably listen to it - but hey - I guess it can always be a reminder about our trip to Orillia, Ontario!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think he did some fundraising shows for Bernie back in the day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have to confess that I felt pressured to purchase a copy of Cockburn's "Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws" LP because the shop owner kept talking about it. He claimed it was a classic Canadian album and actually pulled out a copy and handed it to me. The guy was really nice and it was only $5 Canadian so I bought it. I'm thinking I'll never probably listen to it - but hey - I guess it can always be a reminder about our trip to Orillia, Ontario!
He was probably trying to prune back the 35 used copies he had in stock. Seriously, tho, I've never even heard of that one, so, yeah, it must be a Canadian classic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha, I can see that—a perfect match of personalities. Still, I remember hearing that he once played Monty Python's "Bright Side of Life" in concert to belie his reputation. I'll give him that.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Today I managed to hear both the Supremes and Phil Collins versions of Can’t Hurry Love in fairly rapid succession while out running errands and I have to renew my opinion that Heston has a brain worm.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:40pm
revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Ha, I can see that—a perfect match of personalities. Still, I remember hearing that he once played Monty Python's "Bright Side of Life" in concert to belie his reputation. I'll give him that.
Nothing wrong with a little Bruce Cockburn. Still can't believe this lyric is from 1983. The more things change, the more they stay the same I suppose:

Strikes across the frontier and strikes for higher wage
Planet lurches to the right as ideologies engage
Suddenly it's repression, moratorium on rights
What did they think the politics of panic would invite?
Person in the street shrugs -- "Security comes first"
But the trouble with normal is it always gets worse

Callous men in business costume speak computerese
Play pinball with the third world trying to keep it on its knees
Their single crop starvation plans put sugar in your tea
And the local third world's kept on reservations you don't see
"It'll all go back to normal if we put our nation first"
But the trouble with normal is it always gets worse

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Flex did the same to me when I visited his old music store.

And $5 Canadian does that mean he paid you to take it?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

https://www.post-punk.com/david-hasselh ... K6bHb0ytgE

and yeah, yeah, I don't read this thread, probably.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 6:24pm
Today I managed to hear both the Supremes and Phil Collins versions of Can’t Hurry Love in fairly rapid succession while out running errands and I have to renew my opinion that Heston has a brain worm.
Phil's version is all about the fantastic strings and improved drums. It has a bit of wallop unlike the rather flaccid Supremes version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 12:04am
Wolter wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 6:24pm
Phil's version is all about the fantastic strings and improved drums. It has a bit of wallop unlike the rather flaccid Supremes version.
No. It really doesn’t have a wallop at all. It’s sterile and weak. You’re wrong. Just...wrong.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:02pm

No. Just no.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 2:36am
tepista wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:02pm

No. Just no.
He can hasselh off!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia