Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 8:18am
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 7:29am
I'm glad I have no idea who Dave Matthews is or what he sounds like. A side benefit of being a Limey I suppose.
He's a cross between Kajagoogoo, Unmasked-era KISS, and Starship.
Shy Creatures City.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 8:18am
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 7:29am
I'm glad I have no idea who Dave Matthews is or what he sounds like. A side benefit of being a Limey I suppose.
He's a cross between Kajagoogoo, Unmasked-era KISS, and Starship.
I've just downloaded his full discography.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 5:44am
I heard Barenaked Ladies' "One Week" blaring over the PA in a Costco yesterday for the first time in like 15 years, and have never wanted to firebomb a Tim Hortons or airdrop a plague of diseased deer ticks on the Great White North so badly in my entire life. The "Chickity China the Chinese chicken. . ." verse has to be the worst lyric the English language has ever vomited up. X(
I have a new coworker who claims them as her favorite band. I hadn't said a word because I was trying to be nice, but then she started making fun of me for liking Depeche Mode. So I let her have it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 6:38am
So...I'm coaching my son's little league game last night and every time I took my position as 1st base coach I got to listen to a group of parents sitting in the stands talking about the prior night's DMB concert. A few things I gleaned:

1) One can never, ever call him Dave Matthews. He is always Dave. You can also not refer to it as a Dave Matthews Band concert. It's just Dave.
Since you are relatively new to the board, you haven't seen this little anecdote from a few years back:

Me: Hey, Liz, what are you up to this weekend?
Liz: I'm going up to Wisconsin? To see Dave? (she's an uptalker)
Me: Oh, cool. Is that the new guy you are dating?
Liz: Um, nooooo. Dave Matthews?

It's so true! Sorry you had to endure that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
I heard Barenaked Ladies' "One Week" blaring over the PA in a Costco yesterday for the first time in like 15 years, and have never wanted to firebomb a Tim Hortons or airdrop a plague of diseased deer ticks on the Great White North so badly in my entire life. The "Chickity China the Chinese chicken. . ." verse has to be the worst lyric the English language has ever vomited up. X(
I believe it's some sort of homage to that line from Busta's classic verse in "Scenario."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Rat Patrol wrote:
I heard Barenaked Ladies' "One Week"
:cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Flex wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 9:58am
Rat Patrol wrote:
I heard Barenaked Ladies' "One Week"
:cool:
I wonder if newly installed fascist dictators feel a profound buzzkill when they sloganeer about who'll be first against the wall and that annoying teacher's pet guy in the front row excitedly interrupts shouting "Oh...me, me, me first!" :shifty:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 9:34am
WestwayKid wrote:
So...I'm coaching my son's little league game last night and every time I took my position as 1st base coach I got to listen to a group of parents sitting in the stands talking about the prior night's DMB concert. A few things I gleaned:

1) One can never, ever call him Dave Matthews. He is always Dave. You can also not refer to it as a Dave Matthews Band concert. It's just Dave.
Since you are relatively new to the board, you haven't seen this little anecdote from a few years back:

Brilliant!! :mrgreen:

The sad thing is that I almost felt left out last night! Ha! It literally was people who went and saw Dave or people who wished they had seen Dave and wanted to know how the show was, but the truly funny thing was that most opinions I heard were negative! They definitely went on and on about the violin player no longer being in the band. I'm 41 - so if Dave was ever going to hook me - he'd have done it by now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 10:13am
JennyB wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 9:34am
WestwayKid wrote:

Brilliant!! :mrgreen:

The sad thing is that I almost felt left out last night! Ha! It literally was people who went and saw Dave or people who wished they had seen Dave and wanted to know how the show was, but the truly funny thing was that most opinions I heard were negative! They definitely went on and on about the violin player no longer being in the band. I'm 41 - so if Dave was ever going to hook me - he'd have done it by now.
Right. You should have started talking to them about the Clash and that it all went downhill after Topper was sacked. <crickets>
Got a Rake? Sure!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 9:50am
Rat Patrol wrote:
I believe it's some sort of homage to that line from Busta's classic verse in "Scenario."
Hello,

I was at a Sheetz (gas station/quick food/beer cooler type of place - they're actually pretty nice as I spend a lot of time on the road) in Kernersville, NC and the music playing over the speakers at the pumps was Bowie's "Boys Keep Swinging" - so I went inside and got a Sheetz loyalty card (people in the US will get it).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 2:22pm
matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Hello,

I was at a Sheetz (gas station/quick food/beer cooler type of place - they're actually pretty nice as I spend a lot of time on the road) in Kernersville, NC and the music playing over the speakers at the pumps was Bowie's "Boys Keep Swinging" - so I went inside and got a Sheetz loyalty card (people in the US will get it).
Im more the Kum n Go kind of guy.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 2:37pm
gkbill wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 2:22pm
matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Hello,

Im more the Kum n Go kind of guy.
Does that pic refer to the book they relesed equating Pandas to males in general 'Eats shoots and Leaves'?

Hope yo' enjoying yo' vacation mr

Am from thee UK and no, I dint get the Sheetz one !!! :meh:
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An observation: I adore everything about this: band name, album title, sleeve. Gloriously tasteless.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:35pm
An observation: I adore everything about this: band name, album title, sleeve. Gloriously tasteless.
WWTD?
T=Tipper

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:35pm
WWTD?
T=Tipper
Pine for the innocent days of WASP and Frankenchrist, perhaps.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft