Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Olaf wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 10:44am
Olaf wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 10:20am
Heston wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 7:31pm
The most financially succcessful acts from each hood...I suppose Sting ain't too bad compared to some of the other wretched names involved...

I wonder who would represent this region (NRW) in a German version of this. I'd like to think Kraftwerk, but I'm guessing it's Nena.
Well I did some research and found contradictory information on this. One site actually suggests Kraftwerk, another one Nena. Could be worse I guess: in neighboring Lower Saxony the Scorps and Scooter are battling for the crown.

It's hard to do this for Germany though, as it seems most internationally successful acts are artificial creatures with no real place of origin except Frankenstein's laboratory (Boney M, Snap, Milli Vanilli...). Which makes me sad.
My little corner of the world would probably have to be the icky Steve Miller Band - guy sold gobs of records in the 70's and early 80's - though SE Wisconsin also gave the world some guy named Les Paul - and while he might not have made the cash someone like Steve Miller made - he definitely left rock with a far, far, far richer legacy!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:26am
Olaf wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
The most financially succcessful acts from each hood...I suppose Sting ain't too bad compared to some of the other wretched names involved...

I wonder who would represent this region (NRW) in a German version of this. I'd like to think Kraftwerk, but I'm guessing it's Nena.
Well I did some research and found contradictory information on this. One site actually suggests Kraftwerk, another one Nena. Could be worse I guess: in neighboring Lower Saxony the Scorps and Scooter are battling for the crown.

It's hard to do this for Germany though, as it seems most internationally successful acts are artificial creatures with no real place of origin except Frankenstein's laboratory (Boney M, Snap, Milli Vanilli...). Which makes me sad.
My little corner of the world would probably have to be the icky Steve Miller Band - guy sold gobs of records in the 70's and early 80's - though SE Wisconsin also gave the world some guy named Les Paul - and while he might not have made the cash someone like Steve Miller made - he definitely left rock with a far, far, far richer legacy!
My city may suck, but at least we can claim Chuck Berry.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Phish...feel my shame.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:02pm
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Phish...feel my shame.
I'm stuck with Macklemore, history's greatest monster.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:03pm
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Phish...feel my shame.
Seattle? Fuck that shit you have Hendrix

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Phish...feel my shame.
If we go by Ottawa, I've got Paul Anka or Alanis Morrissette. If it's Saskatoon, it'll be the Northern Pikes. So, a big ol' fuckaduck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:07pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Phish...feel my shame.
Seattle? Fuck that shit you have Hendrix
If I had to guess, I would think that Macklemore has sold more records than Hendrix by now.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hey, Boney M are great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:01pm

Hey, Boney M are great.
You're drunk from your Duran Duran poll victory.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:24am
All the woke people were really into FKA Twigs for a second there, what was her deal again?
She had a really good song in like 2014.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:05pm
Heston wrote:

Hey, Boney M are great.
Their basslines were wicked.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hey, Boney M are great.
A couple of teriffic singles. I like Ma Baker, Daddy Cool, and Rasputin.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 3:31pm
Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hey, Boney M are great.
A couple of teriffic singles. I like Ma Baker, Daddy Cool, and Rasputin.
I'll add Gotta Go Home, Belfast and Painter Man to that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:17pm
Flex wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 11:24am
All the woke people were really into FKA Twigs for a second there, what was her deal again?
She had a really good song in like 2014.
The whole album is great, I own a physical copy. Here's a good article on her for the unfamiliar: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... r-182240/
Edit: and here she is dancing in this recent Spike Jonz commercial:

Last edited by Kory on 20 Aug 2018, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »