coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 1:13pm
matedog wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:33am
The Ramones' "Chinese Rock" is superior to the Heartbreakers' version right?
Nope. A good cover but no way can you beat that Thunders guitar sound. I say cover as The Heartbreakers made it famous however Dee Dee was one it's writers.
As big of a Ramones fan as I am I still thing The Heartbreakers version is definitive, Johnny sings it like he means it, Joey sings it like it's a cover even though it was written by Dee Dee.

Legend has it, Dee Dee, Hell, Thunders and the rest were trying to come up with something as good as Heroin by the Velvets. I think they came pretty close.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 8:50am
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Nope. A good cover but no way can you beat that Thunders guitar sound. I say cover as The Heartbreakers made it famous however Dee Dee was one it's writers.
As big of a Ramones fan as I am I still thing The Heartbreakers version is definitive, Johnny sings it like he means it, Joey sings it like it's a cover even though it was written by Dee Dee.

Legend has it, Dee Dee, Hell, Thunders and the rest were trying to come up with something as good as Heroin by the Velvets. I think they came pretty close.
I prefer Chinese Rock(s) to VU's Heroin. It's worth mentioning that The Ramones didn't originally want the song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The Ramones’ version is great but come on. Heartbreakers by a fair margin.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Maybe it's like how it took me forever to appreciation the Beach Boys' "Do You Wanna Dance?" because it was soooo much slower than the Ramones' version, but the faster tempo does more for me than the Thunders version. Doesn't mean much for me that Joey didn't write the lyrics because he didn't write a shit ton of Ramones lyrics.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Actually he wrote quite a few Ramones songs. Him and Dee Dee were the main songwirters

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 10:09am
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I prefer Chinese Rock(s) to VU's Heroin. It's worth mentioning that The Ramones didn't originally want the song.
I've heard that too but they played almost every show from 1980 onwards

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 11:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 10:09am
coffeepotman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

I've heard that too but they played almost every show from 1980 onwards
True but they ignored it for 5 years being written in '75.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

That is true, not played till EOTC album and tour

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
I always thought it strange when they eventually did record it. I'm sure I remember reading a story where it was said they recorded their version to right the wrong of Thunders/Nolan/Wrath stealing the writing credits. I may have imagined this though.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 6:02pm
coffeepotman wrote:
I always thought it strange when they eventually did record it. I'm sure I remember reading a story where it was said they recorded their version to right the wrong of Thunders/Nolan/Wrath stealing the writing credits. I may have imagined this though.
As I recall, Johnny didn't want to do a song about heroin, but relaxed this policy when the group started to become less prolific in their songwriting.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 2:40am
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
As I recall, Johnny didn't want to do a song about heroin, but relaxed this policy when the group started to become less prolific in their songwriting.
Destroying your brain cells with Carbona was always preferable to Johnny.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 2:40am
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
They needed the album filler after the "Just Say No!" rap was rejected by the record label. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Chuck D to narrate 'Stay Free: The Story of The Clash'
https://www.punknews.org/article/69109/ ... -the-clash

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This is kind of an interesting read, Billboard ranks every Grammy Album of the Year winner and opines on whether they should have won: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... ear-ranked

The opinions are semi-interesting, but it's a great run-through of what else was nominated and they mention great albums from the given year that weren't even nominated. Kinda fascinating.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 12:38pm
This is kind of an interesting read, Billboard ranks every Grammy Album of the Year winner and opines on whether they should have won: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... ear-ranked

The opinions are semi-interesting, but it's a great run-through of what else was nominated and they mention great albums from the given year that weren't even nominated. Kinda fascinating.
I remember that REM considered (jokingly) calling a record Unforgettable after losing to Natalie Cole.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft