The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Hated it at the time. In 2008 I spent hours trapped on a party boat (wow, I was a different person then) where the DJ played it four times. Now, I've got nostalgia for it and, I guess, that boat where it was four pounds for a tiny bottle of beer. The only Black Eyed Peas that's any good is Where Is the Love.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Hate it.
I hate anything that resembles forced fun.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I had a disagreement with a friend a few days ago — I put this on

and said something to the effect of how I prefer this sort of stuff to the Buckingham/Nicks coke fantasies. My point was while Rumours/etc are great, there's nothing "special" about them to me — those songs and albums have achieved a sort of Bob Marley dorm-room-poster cultural ubiquity and are getting kind of tiresome. He didn't see it that way.

So today, while doing grocery rounds, I heard Don't Stop in one supermarket and Dreams in another.

lol

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 5:10am
Hated it at the time. In 2008 I spent hours trapped on a party boat (wow, I was a different person then) where the DJ played it four times. Now, I've got nostalgia for it and, I guess, that boat where it was four pounds for a tiny bottle of beer. The only Black Eyed Peas that's any good is Where Is the Love.
I cannot measure the level of eye rolling that I go through every time it’s played at any wedding or bar mitzvah on Ali’s sure of the family and a room full of Jews sing “MAZEL TOV” like it’s “LEONARD BERNSTEIN” from End of the World. It’s like “look! They’re pandering to us!”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 5:03pm

and said something to the effect of how I prefer this sort of stuff to the Buckingham/Nicks coke fantasies. My point was while Rumours/etc are great, there's nothing "special" about them to me — those songs and albums have achieved a sort of Bob Marley dorm-room-poster cultural ubiquity and are getting kind of tiresome. He didn't see it that way.

So today, while doing grocery rounds, I heard Don't Stop in one supermarket and Dreams in another.

lol
Great stuff of course credited to "Earl Vince & The Valiants" and not to forget the great version by the Rezillos.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 5:40pm
Inder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 5:03pm

lol
Great stuff of course credited to "Earl Vince & The Valiants" and not to forget the great version by the Rezillos.
I feel like it's possible to appreciate both.

Honestly, a lot of the early Fleetwood Mac blues numbers feel pretty by the book. I'd rather hear weird, nervy, coked up Buckingham Tusk songs than another white British blooze number from the late 60s. There are some massive numbers from the early days, but there is just as much filler as killer.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sure. I think my point was vaguely along the lines of "they're great, but I don't really ever play them on because they're already everywhere, whereas you can still dig around in the Peter Green stuff and find the odd interesting gem."
Marky Dread wrote:

The Rezillos version is fab. I'm partial to this DMZ cover — rougher and meaner.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 12:52pm
Sure. I think my point was vaguely along the lines of "they're great, but I don't really ever play them on because they're already everywhere, whereas you can still dig around in the Peter Green stuff and find the odd interesting gem."
Marky Dread wrote:

The Rezillos version is fab. I'm partial to this DMZ cover — rougher and meaner.

Never heard that version before. :cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 5:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 5:10am
I cannot measure the level of eye rolling that I go through every time it’s played at any wedding or bar mitzvah on Ali’s sure of the family and a room full of Jews sing “MAZEL TOV” like it’s “LEONARD BERNSTEIN” from End of the World. It’s like “look! They’re pandering to us!”
And the thing is, they technically should be saying "L'Chaim."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 4:08pm
Say, what's more annoying than that Black-eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling" song? How about "I Gotta Feeling" as an instrumental with strings and piano while on hold? Just that little extra fuck you from corporate customer service. X(
I don't mind that song. :shifty:
Me neither. It is what it is and is sufficiently catchy.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

People, no matter what Big Brother tells you, do not forget this: We have always been at war with Hoyston.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Songwriters: I'm killing myself trying to think of the term for when a chorus is way, way late in the song, which sets up tension until it explodes in catchy hellfire. I heard it once years ago and now I can't remember the name for it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 2:54pm
Songwriters: I'm killing myself trying to think of the term for when a chorus is way, way late in the song, which sets up tension until it explodes in catchy hellfire. I heard it once years ago and now I can't remember the name for it.
Chorjaculation.

As heard in Don't Stop Believin'.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 3:24pm
Kory wrote:
Chorjaculation.

Love those songs - Swamp Thing is a great example

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

drowninghere wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 3:49pm
Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 3:24pm
Kory wrote:
Chorjaculation.

Love those songs - Swamp Thing is a great example
Ooh yeah that's a great one. Is it called delayed something or other?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc