Page 9 of 12

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:13pm
by eumaas
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote: Another issue with this rating system is that it weighs each song equally. But seriously, I give almost no 10's, very few 9's, and so on, so a 9 or 10 rated album is pretty much impossible under this system, so a 7 rating is actually very good.
If you don't really give 10s, you've just shifted the scale by one. I remember hearing of a very dumb professor who claimed never to give an A. Well, then A- takes the place of A, and B the place of A- and so on.
Except I do. Just very rarely as I only consider very very few songs to be "perfect." I gave VU's "Heroin" a 10. Same for Outkast's "B.O.B." and "Billie Jean." On the other hand, I have yet to give a song a one rating, although the next album will have it. For a song to be released by a mainstream band to fail so miserably is really rare. I'd consider "Boogie With Your Children" a one because it is so absolutely ineptly written and performed.
Those are song ratings, though. What album would rate a 10?
Using an overall album rating system, it's a little more cloudy (although not necessarily inaccurate as a sense of how I really feel about listening to the album). Although I'd rate London Calling way up there on my list of favorite albums of all time, I can't say it is a 10.
Is there any album rated as 10? If there isn't, you're doing the scale shifting thing like I said.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:14pm
by Flex
Yeah, what would rate a 10?

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:16pm
by Chuck Mangione
Flex wrote:Yeah, what would rate a 10?
Image

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:17pm
by Dr. Medulla
It's a matter of averaging out the individual song ratings, then consider the whole album and whether collectively that average should be bumped up or down. I don't think it's profitable to just stop at the averaging; use it as a sensible base for considering the whole.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:18pm
by Flex
ImSoBoredWithTheUSA wrote:
Flex wrote:Yeah, what would rate a 10?
http://image.betamonline.com/sdimages/disk18/298667.jpg
I liked your first answer more.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:20pm
by Chuck Mangione
Dr. Medulla wrote:It's a matter of averaging out the individual song ratings, then consider the whole album and whether collectively that average should be bumped up or down. I don't think it's profitable to just stop at the averaging; use it as a sensible base for considering the whole.
That's how I do it.

Based on how fucking awesome and mind-blowing each song is on The Velvet Underground & Nico, let's say, and how short the tracklisting is, it allows it a very high whole rating, i.e. 9 or 10.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:26pm
by matedog
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote: If you don't really give 10s, you've just shifted the scale by one. I remember hearing of a very dumb professor who claimed never to give an A. Well, then A- takes the place of A, and B the place of A- and so on.
Except I do. Just very rarely as I only consider very very few songs to be "perfect." I gave VU's "Heroin" a 10. Same for Outkast's "B.O.B." and "Billie Jean." On the other hand, I have yet to give a song a one rating, although the next album will have it. For a song to be released by a mainstream band to fail so miserably is really rare. I'd consider "Boogie With Your Children" a one because it is so absolutely ineptly written and performed.
Those are song ratings, though. What album would rate a 10?
Using an overall album rating system, it's a little more cloudy (although not necessarily inaccurate as a sense of how I really feel about listening to the album). Although I'd rate London Calling way up there on my list of favorite albums of all time, I can't say it is a 10.
Is there any album rated as 10? If there isn't, you're doing the scale shifting thing like I said.
If I don't have an album rated a 10 but I see a 10 rating as being theoretically plausible through the existence of components (ie songs) that can be rated that highly, then I don't know if it is really scale shifting in the truest sense.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 5:55pm
by eumaas
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote: Except I do. Just very rarely as I only consider very very few songs to be "perfect." I gave VU's "Heroin" a 10. Same for Outkast's "B.O.B." and "Billie Jean." On the other hand, I have yet to give a song a one rating, although the next album will have it. For a song to be released by a mainstream band to fail so miserably is really rare. I'd consider "Boogie With Your Children" a one because it is so absolutely ineptly written and performed.
Those are song ratings, though. What album would rate a 10?
Using an overall album rating system, it's a little more cloudy (although not necessarily inaccurate as a sense of how I really feel about listening to the album). Although I'd rate London Calling way up there on my list of favorite albums of all time, I can't say it is a 10.
Is there any album rated as 10? If there isn't, you're doing the scale shifting thing like I said.
If I don't have an album rated a 10 but I see a 10 rating as being theoretically plausible through the existence of components (ie songs) that can be rated that highly, then I don't know if it is really scale shifting in the truest sense.
If you can't point to any example of a 10, then you're talking about a platonic ideal. That means the scale in real terms has simply shifted over, and your album scale is actually 0 to 9.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 6:46pm
by Marky Dread
Metal Box is an 11 out of 9.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 6:52pm
by Silent Majority
Here are just 6 albums that get the coveted 10/10 SM Seal of Approval. I've gone for ones that our man Chuck would agree with.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 6:59pm
by eumaas
Silent Majority wrote:Here are just 6 albums that get the coveted 10/10 SM Seal of Approval. I've gone for ones that our man Chuck would agree with.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Good choices all.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 7:02pm
by Chuck Mangione
Silent Majority wrote:Here are just 6 albums that get the coveted 10/10 SM Seal of Approval. I've gone for ones that our man Chuck would agree with.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Believe it or not, I was gonna say "The Velvet Underground & Nico" and "Fun House" in my sentence as two examples but instead went with one.

Thumbs up on Hunky Dory and Rocket to Russia those two are also great and never get old, and The Clash, of course.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 7:05pm
by Chuck Mangione
Such excellent albums shouldn't be in the same thread belonging to Weezer though, (I'm not a fan) no offense Hoy or any other fervent listeners, I just don't think Weezer are that fascinating or fantastic.

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 7:07pm
by Silent Majority
eumaas wrote:Good choices all.
They may not all contain the artist's best moments on them, but they hang together exceptionally well. The execution of the album, the tracklisting, the shifting moods from track to track are what make them 10/10. The best songs sound better because of the lesser entries, and the conceptions are utterly solid. A great album is an experience, rather than a collection of songs
Chuck wrote:Believe it or not, I was gonna say "The Velvet Underground & Nico" and "Fun House" in my sentence as two examples but instead went with one.

Thumbs up on Hunky Dory and Rocket to Russia those two are also great and never get old, and The Clash, of course.
Have you heard the Pogues?

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Posted: 23 Jul 2010, 7:15pm
by Chuck Mangione
Silent Majority wrote:
eumaas wrote:Good choices all.
They may not all contain the artist's best moments on them, but they hang together exceptionally well. The execution of the album, the tracklisting, the shifting moods from track to track are what make them 10/10. The best songs sound better because of the lesser entries, and the conceptions are utterly solid. A great album is an experience, rather than a collection of songs
Chuck wrote:Believe it or not, I was gonna say "The Velvet Underground & Nico" and "Fun House" in my sentence as two examples but instead went with one.

Thumbs up on Hunky Dory and Rocket to Russia those two are also great and never get old, and The Clash, of course.
Have you heard the Pogues?
Yeah, of course. Haven't got (really) into them yet, planning on it someday. Nor have I listened to/own that album which is I why I didn't comment on it. :meh: