Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Post by Flex »

eumaas wrote:
Flex wrote:You should do these album reviews for, like, some Everclear albums or something. :shifty:
Jesus. People listen to that?
You know matedog does.

Actually, I have their song "Santa Monica" on a Woodstock (99?) comp and it's alright.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Flex wrote:You should do these album reviews for, like, some Everclear albums or something. :shifty:
Jesus. People listen to that?
You know matedog does.

Actually, I have their song "Santa Monica" on a Woodstock (99?) comp and it's alright.
Santa Monica was a huge hit when I was in 7th Grade. I knew it as the "watch the world die" song. I do own and did enjoy Sparkle and Fade. Haven't listened to it in ages though.

Wait, you mean people haven't written extensively about two-minute long songs that appeared on the Angus soundtrack (btw, J.A.R. is one of my favorite Green Day songs)
Last edited by matedog on 10 Nov 2009, 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Still216 wrote:
matedog wrote: 7. El Scorcho – 8. Green Day, WWF references, Public Enemy quotes, double time almost punk bridge, and a big gang chorus vocal. Not part of the song critique, but also one of my favorite videos of all time.
Excellent review and I hate to detract, but Pinkerton came out in 1996, and "Watching Grunge legdrop New Jack through a press table" was an ECW reference, back when they were on at 2AM, or equally obscure timeslots, on various regional sports networks and UHF stations. I remember hearing that line on the CD and I completely freaked out. I was 16 at the time, but ECW was as punk rock as anything back in the death-of-grunge days of 1996.
Thank you. In spite of my Macho Man love, I know jack shit about pro wrestling beyond the obvious.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:Rivers is tired of meaningless relationships and is in search of something special. Well fuck that, this song rocks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:Rivers is tired of meaningless relationships and is in search of something special. Well fuck that, this song rocks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the subject of Tired of Sex, here is my Weezer Tribute Band playing it at the end of the first of our two shows seven years ago. The video gets real good around 1:40 when the camera gets positioned to my side. Chaos ensues at the end. Yeah we weren't great, but years later I'm still known as "the drummer from Wepeel".
[youtube][/youtube]

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Who are Weezer?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:Who are Weezer?
No way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
No way.
Just jokin', chief.

They've had two hits over here, Buddy Holly (which is fucking superb) and Hash Pipe (meh). Never investigated much further.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No way.
Just jokin', chief.

They've had two hits over here, Buddy Holly (which is fucking superb) and Hash Pipe (meh). Never investigated much further.
8. In the Garage –5. Heston’s favorite Weezer song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No way.
Just jokin', chief.
I would have investigated the possibility of a Killboat.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

I've just checked, they had a hit with Beverly Hills over here, which I must totally have missed. I also noticed Buddy Holly didn't chart in the US, it was a smash over here, you guys are strange....

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No way.
Just jokin', chief.

That's right. They've got the same posters on the wall.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:I've just checked, they had a hit with Beverly Hills over here, which I must totally have missed. I also noticed Buddy Holly didn't chart in the US, it was a smash over here, you guys are strange....
I'm actually a little surprised it didn't chart either. I think everyone of my generation knows "Buddy Holly."
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No way.
Just jokin', chief.

That's right. They've got the same posters on the wall.
I must've missed that (hurries to YouTube)......

Heston

Post by Heston »

You see, those guys had taste.

Were there Replacements poster on the wall? No Wolter, there wasn't, you damn fool.