The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by muppet hi fi » 23 May 2014, 7:23pm

matedog wrote:I've been going through the back catalog lately and was on Disc 2 of Tracks. Restless Nights and Roulette are so much better than anything that made it on The River.
Better than anything?? That seems a stretch. (Independence Day, Ties That Bind, Wreck On the Highway, Ramrod, etc.).
Yeah, "Roulette" is a monster song, very ferocious and unique in it's unbridled anger and paranoia, never mind the tempo and drumming.
"Restless Nights" is a great performance, PHYSICALLY speaking - nice lead work and b-# from Danny, and Max's drumming is lithe, active and groovy, but the song's a bit week in the melody/hooks department, nor a particularly great lyric. Very exciting performance, but by no means a great song, says me.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35328
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Marky Dread » 23 May 2014, 7:36pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
matedog wrote:I've been going through the back catalog lately and was on Disc 2 of Tracks. Restless Nights and Roulette are so much better than anything that made it on The River.
Better than anything?? That seems a stretch. (Independence Day, Ties That Bind, Wreck On the Highway, Ramrod, etc.).
Yeah, "Roulette" is a monster song, very ferocious and unique in it's unbridled anger and paranoia, never mind the tempo and drumming.
"Restless Nights" is a great performance, PHYSICALLY speaking - nice lead work and b-# from Danny, and Max's drumming is lithe, active and groovy, but the song's a bit week in the melody/hooks department, nor a particularly great lyric. Very exciting performance, but by no means a great song, says me.
I think both tracks should've made the cut but nothing else should be omitted.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by muppet hi fi » 27 May 2014, 4:54am

Broooooce rocks with young punk rock kids. Not bad, not bad.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19887
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog » 27 May 2014, 11:04am

muppet hi fi wrote:
matedog wrote:I've been going through the back catalog lately and was on Disc 2 of Tracks. Restless Nights and Roulette are so much better than anything that made it on The River.
Better than anything?? That seems a stretch. (Independence Day, Ties That Bind, Wreck On the Highway, Ramrod, etc.).
Yeah, "Roulette" is a monster song, very ferocious and unique in it's unbridled anger and paranoia, never mind the tempo and drumming.
"Restless Nights" is a great performance, PHYSICALLY speaking - nice lead work and b-# from Danny, and Max's drumming is lithe, active and groovy, but the song's a bit week in the melody/hooks department, nor a particularly great lyric. Very exciting performance, but by no means a great song, says me.
Maybe not "so much better", but I can't think of a song that beats either. I love the vocal interplay on Restless and the verse-prechorus-chorus arrangement and also the guitar/organ solos. There are some great songs on The River, but he really left some mediocrity on while leaving some great stuff off ("Drive All Night", "Ramrod" are both bad songs to me).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Jimmy Jazz
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1490
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 6:40pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Jimmy Jazz » 06 Jun 2014, 11:26pm

matedog wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
matedog wrote:I've been going through the back catalog lately and was on Disc 2 of Tracks. Restless Nights and Roulette are so much better than anything that made it on The River.
Better than anything?? That seems a stretch. (Independence Day, Ties That Bind, Wreck On the Highway, Ramrod, etc.).
Yeah, "Roulette" is a monster song, very ferocious and unique in it's unbridled anger and paranoia, never mind the tempo and drumming.
"Restless Nights" is a great performance, PHYSICALLY speaking - nice lead work and b-# from Danny, and Max's drumming is lithe, active and groovy, but the song's a bit week in the melody/hooks department, nor a particularly great lyric. Very exciting performance, but by no means a great song, says me.
Maybe not "so much better", but I can't think of a song that beats either. I love the vocal interplay on Restless and the verse-prechorus-chorus arrangement and also the guitar/organ solos. There are some great songs on The River, but he really left some mediocrity on while leaving some great stuff off ("Drive All Night", "Ramrod" are both bad songs to me).
I don't mind those two that much, though Roulette, Restless Nights, Loose Ends and maybe a few other outtakes are a lot better. Crush On You and I'm A Rocker are probably the worst two songs on The River for me. Don't hate them but they're the kind of song Bruce can write in his sleep. That album probably has his most puzzling song choices. Most of the time a great song is left off an album, it doesn't really fit the theme he was going for but these songs all go together pretty well. It's still one of my favorite Bruce albums though.

It's kind of a shame Bruce wasn't an EP/B-Side kind of guy, he certainly had the material.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Jun 2014, 11:40pm

I still love Crush On You; Steve's open-G guitar sounds like Keef and the whole vibe is just infectious. Great lyric too. I like fun bruuuce as much as serious or depressed bruuuce. He does fun really really well.

Also we shouldn't be posting on/bumping this thread, as it pisses off a sizable percentage of board members whose screen name is in reference to an elite British Army reconn unit from WWII. :naughty:

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35328
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Marky Dread » 07 Jun 2014, 6:15am

Finally got 'round to listening properly to the American Beauty EP. This is great not a duff track and far better than his recent album for me.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by muppet hi fi » 10 Jun 2014, 1:36am

Marky Dread wrote:Finally got 'round to listening properly to the American Beauty EP. This is great not a duff track and far better than his recent album for me.
Marky - I'm curious as to what you think of the last track "Hey Blue Eyes". Murph (SM) said he thought it was a good lyric but that he wasn't sure about the delivery/playing/production. I think he thought it should have been (musically?) even subtler. And I agree the track is super compressed (it was recorded for the 'Magic' album in '07, the Bush Wars album, that was really loud and compressed and nearly distorted, but I thought fitting for the album's vibe).
Anyway, I love the title track (Josh Freese on drums and timpani (!!); long time Westerberg drummer, current Replacements), but I think Hey Blue Eyes might be a modern day bruuuce classic. Curious as to how you received it.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35328
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Jun 2014, 3:04am

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Finally got 'round to listening properly to the American Beauty EP. This is great not a duff track and far better than his recent album for me.
Marky - I'm curious as to what you think of the last track "Hey Blue Eyes". Murph (SM) said he thought it was a good lyric but that he wasn't sure about the delivery/playing/production. I think he thought it should have been (musically?) even subtler. And I agree the track is super compressed (it was recorded for the 'Magic' album in '07, the Bush Wars album, that was really loud and compressed and nearly distorted, but I thought fitting for the album's vibe).
Anyway, I love the title track (Josh Freese on drums and timpani (!!); long time Westerberg drummer, current Replacements), but I think Hey Blue Eyes might be a modern day bruuuce classic. Curious as to how you received it.
Everything about it is great apart from the over compression on that organ wobble sound. It sounds like it's underwater but the delivery and lyrics are top notch. Would it work better with just Bruce and an acoustic? yes it would it would feel more organic but a good song is good song either way.

May I be so bold as to ask who is Catherine Joan O'brien? She looks beautiful in that picture.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by muppet hi fi » 10 Jun 2014, 10:45pm

Marky Dread wrote:May I be so bold as to ask who is Catherine Joan O'brien? She looks beautiful in that picture.
Yeah that's my buddy Katie (she always spelled her name with a 'K', don't know why the funeral home people got it wrong. Went to grade school with her (she was 2 years ahead of me); we became mates later. Then we were room mates (where I met the Stinson brothers from the 'Mats); then me and my brother Matt formed Dutch Oven with her (bass, vocals) and Christine and played the first 5 or 6 gigs, which were phenomenal, (before we quit to focus on a crappy money-making cover band) as Katie was the queen of the hipsters about town (and many other cities). Then she died. Yeah, she was really beautiful (inside and out); in the film 'Come Feel Me Tremble', Westerberg talks about her briefly, and there's that scene where he takes that very same memorial card, kisses it, and then puts it in the fireplace and watches it burn as he smokes his cigar. Very heavy scene for me to watch to this day. I remember at her wake, Paul couldn't even speak to me - there in his suit - while Lori Barbero was literally screaming in the room where Kate's coffin was. A couple days later there was close to 1,000 people at her funeral, Jim Walsh wrote a piece about her in the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the City Pages weekly had an article and all these fucking people and scenesters all knew her and supposedely loved her but she came to my parents house for Christmas after her mom and dad and brother died. So much to tell, mate. If you'd met her once Marky, you'd have been smitten. I do miss her. She was Rock n' Roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35328
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Jun 2014, 10:55pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:May I be so bold as to ask who is Catherine Joan O'brien? She looks beautiful in that picture.
Yeah that's my buddy Katie (she always spelled her name with a 'K', don't know why the funeral home people got it wrong. Went to grade school with her (she was 2 years ahead of me); we became mates later. Then we were room mates (where I met the Stinson brothers from the 'Mats); then me and my brother Matt formed Dutch Oven with her (bass, vocals) and Christine and played the first 5 or 6 gigs, which were phenomenal, (before we quit to focus on a crappy money-making cover band) as Katie was the queen of the hipsters about town (and many other cities). Then she died. Yeah, she was really beautiful (inside and out); in the film 'Come Feel Me Tremble', Westerberg talks about her briefly, and there's that scene where he takes that very same memorial card, kisses it, and then puts it in the fireplace and watches it burn as he smokes his cigar. Very heavy scene for me to watch to this day. I remember at her wake, Paul couldn't even speak to me - there in his suit - while Lori Barbero was literally screaming in the room where Kate's coffin was. A couple days later there was close to 1,000 people at her funeral, Jim Walsh wrote a piece about her in the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the City Pages weekly had an article and all these fucking people and scenesters all knew her and supposedely loved her but she came to my parents house for Christmas after her mom and dad and brother died. So much to tell, mate. If you'd met her once Marky, you'd have been smitten. I do miss her. She was Rock n' Roll.
That's a terrific if somewhat personal story. She sounds like she was one of life's special people. Cheers for sharing. :approve:
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71088
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Jul 2014, 12:39pm

Bruce Springsteen is the perfect embodiment of what sportswriters want to see in the athletes they cover. He is the musical David Eckstein. He's tough! He's scrappy! He comes from humble roots and is self-made. He's blue collar. He's the first guy to get to the stadium and the last guy to leave. He runs out his pop flies. He's loyal to his home state of New Jersey, even though he moved to L.A. for a bit and also has a house in Florida. He is every shitty, awful sports-unicorn trope amassed into a single singer-songwriter. And he writes songs that are "rocking" without anywhere being close to threatening. He is the underdog that so many sportswriters want to see in themselves, which is how they end up composing endless paeans to the sax break in "Born to Run."

When a sportswriter professes his devotion to Bruce Springsteen, he's making a statement about himself (or herself!). He's letting you know that he's a good old-fashioned hard-working American fella with strong values, just like you, Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen Table! You can count on your Bruce fanboy columnist to write about the game the RIGHT WAY, with buttloads of class. And you can count on your local columnist to be the sort of insufferable dipshit who looks back longingly on his Golden American youth and then somehow links it to a double play from last night's Reds game.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/why-do ... 1598497909
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71088
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Nov 2014, 11:56am

File Under: How To Write Like Greil Marcus
How a Bruce Springsteen concert helped bring down the Berlin Wall
According to the author of a book on the concert, it may have even, along with other factors, led directly to the fall of the Berlin Wall 16 months later.
Sure, there were "other factors," but it was mainly Springsteen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-a-bruc ... -1.2825639
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19887
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog » 06 Nov 2014, 11:58am

Dr. Medulla wrote:File Under: How To Write Like Greil Marcus
How a Bruce Springsteen concert helped bring down the Berlin Wall
According to the author of a book on the concert, it may have even, along with other factors, led directly to the fall of the Berlin Wall 16 months later.
Sure, there were "other factors," but it was mainly Springsteen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-a-bruc ... -1.2825639
Well it certainly wasn't Reagan, so the only other option is Bruce.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71088
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Nov 2014, 12:03pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:File Under: How To Write Like Greil Marcus
How a Bruce Springsteen concert helped bring down the Berlin Wall
According to the author of a book on the concert, it may have even, along with other factors, led directly to the fall of the Berlin Wall 16 months later.
Sure, there were "other factors," but it was mainly Springsteen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-a-bruc ... -1.2825639
Well it certainly wasn't Reagan, so the only other option is Bruce.
According to Billboard, the number one song in the US that week was Cheap Trick's "The Flame" (Jesus …), so I'm nominating that as the reason the Wall came down. Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest