GTFO:
Point Blank
Drive All Night
Ramrod
Mary Lou
Night Fire
Paradise by the C
Chain Lightning
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 2:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 12:52pm
I'm listening to The Ties That Bind set today and I kind of dig the original (unreleased) 10-track version of what would become The River.
I always liked Cindy. There are a lot of little changes too: different lead vocal on Ties, different verse on Price You Pay, lacking SVZ’s vocal on the last chorus of River.

River sessions is an almost Sandinista like exercise of what you’d include as a double and even as a single.
Me too! I had a boot of the original album before the boxed set came out and I'd listen to that track on repeat.

I think the 10-track version retains the happy/sad dynamic of The River - it goes from "Hungry Heart" to "Stolen Car" and so on, while also not feeling overly long.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 5:36pm
He needs a new carburetor: https://globalnews.ca/news/9944564/bruc ... tic-ulcer/
Sounds like some old people shit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 6:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 5:36pm
He needs a new carburetor: https://globalnews.ca/news/9944564/bruc ... tic-ulcer/
Sounds like some old people shit.
He's not old; he's classic. Like, I dunno, a '65 Mustang? (I don't know anything about cars.)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Just remembered my all time favorite Songmeanings entry in this case for “I’m on Fire”:
“This song is about a dude who is, literally, on fire, and before he burns to the ground he's asking a girl if she's home alone so he can poke her cooze with his flaming hot rod.”

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 1:28am
Just remembered my all time favorite Songmeanings entry in this case for “I’m on Fire”:
“This song is about a dude who is, literally, on fire, and before he burns to the ground he's asking a girl if she's home alone so he can poke her cooze with his flaming hot rod.”
Death of the author. Because he's on fire.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 1:28am
:lol: Also, it's a return to form.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog

Post by matedog »

I forgot to post about this awhile back, but I took a 24 hour trip to New Jersey a few weeks ago to attend the 50th Anniversary Symposium on my favorite Bruce album, The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. I took a red eye Friday night and flew out at 7am Sunday morning, so it was a real short trip but I think I made the most of it.

The symposium itself was great and really well done, incorporating as many people as possible from the making of the album. Bruce ended up making a surprise appearance and sat in for a few hours. Absolute highlight for me was hearing his original piano player play his terrific intro to New York City Serenade. He even did a very inspired variation of it showing that he still wasn't ready to rest on his laurels.

I ended up getting a cheap room in Asbury Park and walked the boardwalk and surrounding areas seeing some classic Bruce spots, a pilgrimage if you will. Even got to check out a couple breweries along the way.

The last thing I have to say is the symposium reinforced how little I have in common with your average Bruce fan. Even beyond the fact that I was 20+ years younger than the average person there, I just couldn't relate to them beyond one shared interest. Hell, even my one real life Bruce fan friend was baffled that I would go to the symposium at all. Going was a no brainer to me and I'm super glad I did.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 8:53pm
LOL, I missed this. According to Laura Jane Grace, Jay and his dad suck as people.

Edit - I see Doc's post above supports this as well.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was working in the other room and I could hear my wife was Hoying out to soe Springsteen earlier.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 10:36pm
I was working in the other room and I could hear my wife was Hoying out to soe Springsteen earlier.
I am so sorry to read this. We're here for you, man.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 10:36pm
Ask her what # Marlene you are.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!