Should I...?

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Should I...?

Post by matedog »

Ice Cube is playing across the street at The Fillmore in a month or so. I don't know whether I should go or not
Pros - It's fucking Cube!
Cons - Tickets are like $50. I haven't liked any of his material for the last fifteen years.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Should I...?

Post by Heston »

I say no. He's rubbish.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:I say no. He's rubbish.
Someone obviously hasn't heard Death Certificate.

I'm just worried he'd be doing more "We Be Clubbin" and less "Givin Up the Nappy Dug Out."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote: Cons - Tickets are like $50. I haven't liked any of his material for the last fifteen years.
Perhaps he'll perform a scene from Are We There Yet?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

I'm just worried he'd be doing more "We Be Clubbin" and less "Givin Up the Nappy Dug Out."
Nah, I've never heard it. I've heard a few gruntings of his, nothing that ever reeled me in.
Mind you, my idea of good rap is Malcolm McClaren.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Nah, I've never heard it. I've heard a few gruntings of his, nothing that ever reeled me in.
Man, the English are SO WHITE.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:Man, the English are SO WHITE.
Do you not mean RIGHT?

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Man, the English are SO WHITE.
Heston's 2nd favourite rap album:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:Man, the English are SO WHITE.
Do you not mean RIGHT?
Almost never, Heston. Almost never.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

threecoffins wrote:Heston's 2nd favourite rap album:
Ah yes, MC Procol and DJ Harum, wack as fuck.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:Ice Cube is playing across the street at The Fillmore in a month or so. I don't know whether I should go or not
Cons - Tickets are like $50. I haven't liked any of his material for the last fifteen years.
Mate, if you live near The Fillmore, how about going to the Pioneers of Punk show this Saturday the 26th? I don't think it's sold out yet. I'm going.

The line-up:

Flipper (w/ Krist Novoselic)
Avengers (opened for the Sex Pistols at Winterland)
Mutants
Negative Trend (1st reunion in 29 years...opened for The Clash next door at the Geary Temple (now the Post Office)
Target Video (footage of punk bands, circa '78-'84)

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:Ice Cube is playing across the street at The Fillmore in a month or so. I don't know whether I should go or not
Mate, if you live near The Fillmore, how about going to the Pioneers of Punk show this Saturday the 26th? I don't think it's sold out yet. I'm going.

The line-up:

Mutants
Negative Trend (1st reunion in 29 years...opened for The Clash next door at the Geary Temple (now the Post Office)
shit, this would be amazing!

matedog

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

The line-up:

Mutants
No dice. My mama is coming to town from the CT this weekend.
Geary Temple (now Post Office) is where Jim Jones got big right?

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

The line-up:

Mutants
Oh, OK then.
No, the Geary Temple was a synagogue, I think...the People's Temple (Jim Jones) must've been next door to that.

I think it was:

The Fillmore - Geary Temple - People's Temple

According to BMC, the Geary Temple is now The Fillmore, that's not correct. The Fillmore (West) was there, too.

Oh yeah, Malcolm McLaren wanted Negative Trend to play Winterland after the Pistols finished their set, but Bill Graham one-upped him by playing Winterland's exit music. Mate, did you know that the apartments at 2000 Post (corner of Post & Steiner) was where Winterland used to be? I heard or read that Joe & Gaby stayed at those apartments.

matedog

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
matedog wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

The line-up:

Mutants
Oh, OK then.
No, the Geary Temple was a synagogue, I think...the People's Temple (Jim Jones) must've been next door to that.

I think it was:

The Fillmore - Geary Temple - People's Temple

According to BMC, the Geary Temple is now The Fillmore, that's not correct. The Fillmore (West) was there, too.

Oh yeah, Malcolm McLaren wanted Negative Trend to play Winterland after the Pistols finished their set, but Bill Graham one-upped him by playing Winterland's exit music. Mate, did you know that the apartments at 2000 Post (corner of Post & Steiner) was where Winterland used to be? I heard or read that Joe & Gaby stayed at those apartments.

Uhhh, that's actually where I live.