Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83653
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Sep 2019, 1:25pm

Flex wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 1:14pm
The last two PiL albums have some fine tunes on them.
Yeah, actually I thought the recent PiL stuff was probably a lot better than it had any right to be (which isn't to say "great" necessarily, but no embarrassments that I can think of).
That's where I'm at. Nothing that really stands out for me, but nothing wretched. Which is perfectly fine. I'm good with just enjoyable PiL records at this point.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 30925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Heston » 03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm

I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Why should I plan for the future? Let the future make plans for me.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83653
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm

Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9145
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by revbob » 03 Sep 2019, 5:53pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
Some of the old John still shines thru from time to time but yeah mostly asshole now.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 18797
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by 101Walterton » 03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm

I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83653
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Sep 2019, 8:45pm

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm
I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 18797
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by 101Walterton » 03 Sep 2019, 10:37pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm
I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.
Yes I don’t believe for one minute he behaves like he does at home. He should retire Rotten and speak as himself I am sure there would be some great insight.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1561
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by dave202 » 04 Sep 2019, 9:55am

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm
I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.
Yes I don’t believe for one minute he behaves like he does at home. He should retire Rotten and speak as himself I am sure there would be some great insight.
That's what pisses me off about him and also makes me sad for him too. At moments he can have clear insight when he's talking, genuine words. At other times he seems to "have to be" the Rotten guy and seems to have to say things in a "Rotten" way. That's like him being aware of the Sid Vicious problem but suffering from it too.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 42577
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Sep 2019, 12:29pm

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm
I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.
Yes I don’t believe for one minute he behaves like he does at home. He should retire Rotten and speak as himself I am sure there would be some great insight.
Interesting as I think Rotten as a persona didn't start until midway through PiL. Rotten in the Pistols never seemed to be an act to me and that's when he made most sense.
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14971
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Silent Majority » 05 Sep 2019, 2:58am

Reading Glen's book at the moment and it looks like that side of him was always there, even allowing for opposing personality types not realising when one was taking the piss out of the other.
There's a lot of wreckage in the ravine

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 42577
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 05 Sep 2019, 4:37am

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 2:58am
Reading Glen's book at the moment and it looks like that side of him was always there, even allowing for opposing personality types not realising when one was taking the piss out of the other.
John didnt like Glen from day one. Glen tolerated John until the Pistols started to get their first slice of notoriety and then Glen claims it went to Johns head.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10808
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 06 Sep 2019, 6:35pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83653
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Sep 2019, 7:10pm

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
Speaking of asshole singers, last night I finished David J's Bauhaus memoir (mentioned above). Peter Murphy comes off as having some serious personality problems. He'd go from pleasant to deeply despondent and possibly suicidal to, as David J writes, Mr. Hyde. Totally belligerent to everyone around, massive chip on his shoulder, paranoid, treating the rest of the band as side men. Yet, J certainly doesn't deny his ability as a mesmerizing front man. But the psychological cost of being around him was so great that the rest of them nixed a world tour that would have made them all quite wealthy. If J is accurate, there's some psychological illness at work there.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10808
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 06 Sep 2019, 7:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:10pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
Speaking of asshole singers, last night I finished David J's Bauhaus memoir (mentioned above). Peter Murphy comes off as having some serious personality problems. He'd go from pleasant to deeply despondent and possibly suicidal to, as David J writes, Mr. Hyde. Totally belligerent to everyone around, massive chip on his shoulder, paranoid, treating the rest of the band as side men. Yet, J certainly doesn't deny his ability as a mesmerizing front man. But the psychological cost of being around him was so great that the rest of them nixed a world tour that would have made them all quite wealthy. If J is accurate, there's some psychological illness at work there.
The recent reports of him throwing bottles at his audience would back this up.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83653
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 Sep 2019, 8:07pm

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:10pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
Speaking of asshole singers, last night I finished David J's Bauhaus memoir (mentioned above). Peter Murphy comes off as having some serious personality problems. He'd go from pleasant to deeply despondent and possibly suicidal to, as David J writes, Mr. Hyde. Totally belligerent to everyone around, massive chip on his shoulder, paranoid, treating the rest of the band as side men. Yet, J certainly doesn't deny his ability as a mesmerizing front man. But the psychological cost of being around him was so great that the rest of them nixed a world tour that would have made them all quite wealthy. If J is accurate, there's some psychological illness at work there.
The recent reports of him throwing bottles at his audience would back this up.
After I finished the book, I revisited an interview that a friend of mine conducted with PM around ten years ago, and he was utterly charming. It was done as a Skype because PM lives in Turkey, so my buddy sent me the video, and my memory was that he seemed in great humour, which is how the text read. It's hard not to think that there's something biochemical going on there.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests