Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 7:50am
That's interesting. I'm not suggesting for a second that Lydon doesn't play the contrary prima donna but I do understand some of the paranoia. After the Pistols he was set up on a few occasions.

I read in another post where revbob and your good self were discussing Jello and rev saying he understood why Jello was the way he was due to police raids . Well the same thing would happen to Lydon at Gunter grove, London. Police with sniffer dogs raiding his digs and even ripping apart his poor cat. Add to this the drug state of the band and his distrust of managers after McLaren's manipulations.
Right, I agree. It's a mix of column A and row 2. Lydon had become a prima donna in his Pistols days and that only worsened with PiL, but he'd also been targeted by the police and media, and fucked over by managers and industry weasels. Combined, it encouraged the worst parts about him.
Back to the story if I had paid to rehearse somewhere for a new bass player and I was paying for someone to turn up only to be told he wanted to jam so he can tell his friends I once jammed with PiL I doubt very much i'd be over impressed either. But it appears that Lydon likes the guy and respects him so fair play for that.
Sure, I can understand him being pissed off. It's funny, tho, because Lydon's never been shying about shitting on other musicians. Having a musician jerk him around—even if not deliberately out of malice—is mild justice for that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 9:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 7:50am
That's interesting. I'm not suggesting for a second that Lydon doesn't play the contrary prima donna but I do understand some of the paranoia. After the Pistols he was set up on a few occasions.

I read in another post where revbob and your good self were discussing Jello and rev saying he understood why Jello was the way he was due to police raids . Well the same thing would happen to Lydon at Gunter grove, London. Police with sniffer dogs raiding his digs and even ripping apart his poor cat. Add to this the drug state of the band and his distrust of managers after McLaren's manipulations.
Right, I agree. It's a mix of column A and row 2. Lydon had become a prima donna in his Pistols days and that only worsened with PiL, but he'd also been targeted by the police and media, and fucked over by managers and industry weasels. Combined, it encouraged the worst parts about him.
Back to the story if I had paid to rehearse somewhere for a new bass player and I was paying for someone to turn up only to be told he wanted to jam so he can tell his friends I once jammed with PiL I doubt very much i'd be over impressed either. But it appears that Lydon likes the guy and respects him so fair play for that.
Sure, I can understand him being pissed off. It's funny, tho, because Lydon's never been shying about shitting on other musicians. Having a musician jerk him around—even if not deliberately out of malice—is mild justice for that.
Yeah I agree totally and the story of Flea is a good one. The only thing that surprised me was never hearing the end of the story before. Knowing what big a thing everything seems to be surrounding Lydon an all I don't doubt the factualality of the story.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just found out the PiL documentary has been available on vimeo since early May. Just bought my copy and dl'd it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:16am
Just found out the PiL documentary has been available on vimeo since early May. Just bought my copy and dl'd it.
I've seen highlights which looked good. I did see it was on Vimeo which was linked to via the God save the Sex Pistols site.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've seen highlights which looked good. I did see it was on Vimeo which was linked to via the God save the Sex Pistols site.
No idea of the quality of the film, only that it's taken forever to get a home release. I have no idea whether that's indicative of anything.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No idea of the quality of the film, only that it's taken forever to get a home release. I have no idea whether that's indicative of anything.
I'm in no rush to watch it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I hope to watch it in the next day or two. Watch this space for my incisive commentary on the subject! :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I hope to watch it in the next day or two. Watch this space for my incisive commentary on the subject! :shifty:
I'm all ears. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm all ears. :mrgreen:
Oh no!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I watched it a few months ago, but strangely can't remember anything about it. I watched it in the same night as the Adrian Borland doc, which was way more interesting and carpeted over my PiL memories, I suppose.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I watched it a few months ago, but strangely can't remember anything about it. I watched it in the same night as the Adrian Borland doc, which was way more interesting and carpeted over my PiL memories, I suppose.
If you were a real fan, you'd remember!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 3:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Disclaimer: I was real drunk.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 5:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That would make you more a Lydon fan than Levene fan.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 5:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Can’t it be both?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 5:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 5:41pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Can’t it be both?
Lydon equals drunk on booze; Levene equals strung out on junk.