What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 7:29pm

Bought "Kray Twins" 7'' on release and the follow up of "Probably A Robbery" both great tracks. And the 12'' of the track that sampled "White Riot" called "The Phantom". Was not that keen on the album though.

Around the 4.30 mark.
That's a great version, I've not heard that version as I don't have any of their vinyl, the Clash sample is on the shorter version on the best of CD, I like that longer version though, its more immediate, it's like Afrobeat which is a genre I like, you might want to go back and have a listen to that album you weren't keen on, you may have mellowed a bit ;) it's not exactly an in yer face album, am going to snag that version ;)
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46189
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by Marky Dread »

hairydot61 wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 5:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 7:29pm

Bought "Kray Twins" 7'' on release and the follow up of "Probably A Robbery" both great tracks. And the 12'' of the track that sampled "White Riot" called "The Phantom". Was not that keen on the album though.

Around the 4.30 mark.
That's a great version, I've not heard that version as I don't have any of their vinyl, the Clash sample is on the shorter version on the best of CD, I like that longer version though, its more immediate, it's like Afrobeat which is a genre I like, you might want to go back and have a listen to that album you weren't keen on, you may have mellowed a bit ;) it's not exactly an in yer face album, am going to snag that version ;)
The album is ok. It just never struck me the same way as the first couple of singles did.
Image

hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

If you have HD you are in for a visual treat
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

Very Similar to The Sabres of Paradise 'Wilmot' although not quite, there's an approximate year of 1974 for this track, lovely sound, mellow and simple,
the second track here is The Sabres of Paradise track Wilmot meets Lord Scruffage from 94', a remix by Mr Scruff and my favourite version, labelled wrongly on youtube as Wilmot's last Skank, dedicated to 101's BBQ.
SUGAR BELLY COUSIN - JOE PART 1

THE SABRES OF PARADISE - WILMOT MEETS LORD SCUFFAGE
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk
Posts: 50
Joined: 22 Dec 2017, 7:55pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Found this thread when searching to see what conversations were being had about Sleaford Mods (one of the best things to happen to music this decade, in my opinion).

Since that was already a well wrought conversation, I'll throw Kikagaku Moyo into the mix. They just keep getting better. Here's one of their new ones:


hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 10:37pm
Found this thread when searching to see what conversations were being had about Sleaford Mods (one of the best things to happen to music this decade, in my opinion).

Since that was already a well wrought conversation, I'll throw Kikagaku Moyo into the mix. They just keep getting better. Here's one of their new ones:

wooah, that Gathering track ticks all my boxes, would love to hear that in a decent system, as I'm at work and listening on a phone it was mucho impressive, never heard of them but will investigate and possibly curate :mrgreen:
Nice one, limited phone data so will have to wait to listen to thee other tracks
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk
Posts: 50
Joined: 22 Dec 2017, 7:55pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

hairydot61 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 5:29am
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 10:37pm
Found this thread when searching to see what conversations were being had about Sleaford Mods (one of the best things to happen to music this decade, in my opinion).

Since that was already a well wrought conversation, I'll throw Kikagaku Moyo into the mix. They just keep getting better. Here's one of their new ones:

wooah, that Gathering track ticks all my boxes, would love to hear that in a decent system, as I'm at work and listening on a phone it was mucho impressive, never heard of them but will investigate and possibly curate :mrgreen:
Nice one, limited phone data so will have to wait to listen to thee other tracks
Same for me. Both groovy and rocking. Sounds great on a proper sound system, and even better live. I definitely recommend catching them out if they pass through.

This album served as my introduction to them:


hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

Same for me. Both groovy and rocking. Sounds great on a proper sound system, and even better live. I definitely recommend catching them out if they pass through.

This album served as my introduction to them:


[/quote]
Yes, I listened to that, good progression to the Manassa Temples album, the Gatherings track is mos def a gateway drug!, someone knows what they are doing when recording them as their music files balancing of bass, mid and treble are really tight, nice recommedation.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12212
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by Kory »

hairydot61 wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 11:08am
If you have HD you are in for a visual treat
What if I don't have HD
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46189
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:04pm
hairydot61 wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 11:08am
If you have HD you are in for a visual treat
What if I don't have HD
Suck your feet.
Image

hairydot61
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 306
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:18pm
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:04pm
hairydot61 wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 11:08am
If you have HD you are in for a visual treat
What if I don't have HD
Suck your feet.
:mrgreen: the alternative is to find a friend that does have HD like I was lucky enough to do, sorry bout that bopper :meh: , great track though and the video is just dressing anyway!.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Post Reply