What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
hairydot61
Junco Partner

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by hairydot61 »

revbob wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:29pm
hairydot61 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 2:17am
I was surpised to see on the printed cover of the LaTour CD that this track came from that they thanked The Screaming Blue Messiahs, nice.
Next Cracker with a great chugging slice of pop rock and Teen Angst (What the world needs now), great lyrics, I purposely left Ministry to last because, Well, basically most tracks might have trouble following it (imho), when old school guitars and cutting edge technology come together with a Gibby Haynes sometimes incomprehesible vocal, well, judge for yourself.

LA TOUR - ALLENS GOT A NEW HI FI

CRACKER - TEEN ANGST - w.t.w.n.n

MINISTRY - JESUS BUILT MY HOT ROD
Ministry were easily one of the brightest acts in the 90s.
True enough, groundbreaking musical style and Al Jourgensen is still formidable, absolutley owns it!.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Heres a couple of tracks from a musician, we'll call him Scott, thats how he likes to be known, he's done gigs with a band but he mostly does solo gigs, he is what you might call a virtuoso Guitar player, as far as I know his band never had a violin player so he's never left the band, so in effect we can't complain about that.
Fans of DAVE might enjoy SCOTT.
Next up a similar acoustic vibration from Tyler Ramsey, lovely tune and a great voice, what you might call Downtempo.
I try to source links without adverts but it is becoming more difficult, ....in the words of the late Bill Hicks, " Is there anyone here who works in advertising?, ...Kill Yourself, no, Seriously!.. Kill Yourself.".

"Sorry about that Boppers"
Scott MATTHEWS - ELUSIVE

SCOTT MATTHEWS - PASSING STRANGER

TYLER RAMSEY - A LONG DREAM

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

We've had a couple of tracks of studio Fluke, here is a fan made video of a Glastonbury performance from 98', its 40 minutes of Electronic sounds from 20  years ago, if you stay till the end the second but last track incorporates The Happy Mondays W.F.L, very well done, for a fan video its great, 20 years old and still sounds fresh.
FLUKE - GLASTONBURY 1998

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Was recently reminded how great theses guys were.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

revbob wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 7:21am
Was recently reminded how great theses guys were.

I'd heard of them but not heard anything by them till now, remind me of a bit o' Buzzcocks melody with Undertone pop sensibilities, and the vocal tone of them singing in their native welsh remind me of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, which I have a bit of, ain't got a clue what their singin' about but thats the same as Tamikrest or Tinariwen, go with the vibe and melody.
Three words
SUPER FURRY ANIMALS ;) Love a bit

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

I Love most of The Damneds early output, the debut on Stiff, Damned Damned Damned, then Music for Pleasure with a similar shift to The Clash's first two albums, both bands debuts were pretty direct garagey Punk and then the second album song structure and sonically sounding different to their debuts, I think The Clash came out looking the better of the two bands, ...Machine gun etiquette was a strong album with some great singles, The Black album (1980), again the band sonically changing their musical outlook, also it was a double album, well the one I have is, I think it was possibly released as a single album at one point. ...I digressed, ...I Love the sound of The Black Album, it signaled a change in style to gothic tinged psychedelia, on side 3 is a single song 17 minute and 12 odd seconds of brilliance, its just soooo good to listen to, ....The Clash changed the musical landscape in the 5 years they were together like no other band I can recall, I do think that the Damned deserve some credit for this little beauty, you can reference influences in the music from where it came from, it did take a lot of people by surprise when it was released, did it actually spawn the musical genre of goth?, I think I read somewhere that it did, anyway...heres a message from our sponsor Danny Trejo .."And now....The mistress of the macabre, the epitome of evil, the most sinister woman to crawl on the face of the Earth." ( "bite this") "Lowly Dog!, ....bow your head, kneel and worship at the feet of Dave Vanian, Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies and Paul Gray = THE DAMNED

THE DAMNED - CURTAIN CALL

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

hairydot61 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 5:38am
I Love most of The Damneds early output, the debut on Stiff, Damned Damned Damned, then Music for Pleasure with a similar shift to The Clash's first two albums, both bands debuts were pretty direct garagey Punk and then the second album song structure and sonically sounding different to their debuts, I think The Clash came out looking the better of the two bands, ...Machine gun etiquette was a strong album with some great singles, The Black album (1980), again the band sonically changing their musical outlook, also it was a double album, well the one I have is, I think it was possibly released as a single album at one point. ...I digressed, ...I Love the sound of The Black Album, it signaled a change in style to gothic tinged psychedelia, on side 3 is a single song 17 minute and 12 odd seconds of brilliance, its just soooo good to listen to, ....The Clash changed the musical landscape in the 5 years they were together like no other band I can recall, I do think that the Damned deserve some credit for this little beauty, you can reference influences in the music from where it came from, it did take a lot of people by surprise when it was released, did it actually spawn the musical genre of goth?, I think I read somewhere that it did, anyway...heres a message from our sponsor Danny Trejo .."And now....The mistress of the macabre, the epitome of evil, the most sinister woman to crawl on the face of the Earth." ( "bite this") "Lowly Dog!, ....bow your head, kneel and worship at the feet of Dave Vanian, Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies and Paul Gray = THE DAMNED

Marky Dread is the Damned expert on here, but I think they have been very consistent in the quality of their output. The next album after your list, Strawberries, is very good, and the latest, Evil Spirits, has the feel of that era, well worth a listen.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

laxman wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 9:37am
hairydot61 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 5:38am

Marky Dread is the Damned expert on here, but I think they have been very consistent in the quality of their output. The next album after your list, Strawberries, is very good, and the latest, Evil Spirits, has the feel of that era, well worth a listen.
Agree, Strawberries is a great album, strong songs on there, it feels more upbeat and assured, thats the last album I have, been trying to find the albums at a reasonable price that were released after Strawberries, sooo much music and soooo little cash :meh: , have seen them a couple of times most notably with support from The Anti Nowhere League and The Meteors as far as I can remember, great gig for many reasons, got the deluxe CDs up to and inc Strawberries, not heard anything from Evil Spirits yet, cheers
WELL DONE JORDAN PICKFORD & ENGLAND :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I recall getting Strawberries on cassette in some crappy music store in Troy NY back around 1987 or so. It was in the bargain bin. I've since lost it though.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I think I posted this years ago, but it's brilliant and worth listening to again.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Inder wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 4:29am
I think I posted this years ago, but it's brilliant and worth listening to again.

Got limited knowledge of Harry Nilsson apart from the obvious commercial tracks, I did buy Skidoo/The Point a few months ago when foraging, it was ok. Have not seen the Popeye film, am presuming that the song was in the film, the song went well with the weather we have in the UK right now, I liked the sentiment of "the I am what I am" lyric, it brought to mind the feel or vibe of Jimmy Jazz and The Doors doing Jacques Brel's Alabama song, like a cranky cabaret with a knowing smile, I might source the film, don't know much about it but I like Robin Williams legacy of work, ...changing tack..And the names of bands, we are so familiar with certain bands that we take them for granted, what it might represent, as a few examples The Stone Roses or Guns and Roses, could the names represent the Ying and Yang of their musical styles?, the sweet and the sour, the heavy and the light? Or did I have too much to dream last night?, did The Stone Roses acknowledge Guns and Roses with that lyric from Breaking into Heaven, "listen up Sweet Child of mine" because they did get a bit rockier on that second coming.Apparently Jane's Addiction's name was deeply thought about, they apparently wanted to draw attention to a problem lifestyle but they also didn't want to be a niche band and tagged as Junkies thus limiting their appeal, I saw them at the Astoria in London in the early 90's they Ruled, they are a band that can seriously rock but have an interesting and melodic soft side.
JANE'S ADDICTION - KETTLE WHISTLE

JANE'S ADDICTION - SUMMERTIME ROLLS

JANE'S ADDICTION - MOUNTAIN SONG

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Old Skool Punky Reggae and The Dead 60's, if you can get hold of The Dead 60's CD go for the one with the extra disc of DUB mixes, remembering Malcolm Owen with respect, I saw The Members at the Venue Victoria, they are underrated to be sure, I have vinyl & CD ;)
THE MEMBERS - OFFSHORE BANKING BUSINESS

THE RUTS - LOVE IN VAIN

THE DEAD 60s - GHOSTFACED KILLER

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The Dead 60s were great. Then the second album came out...

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Inder wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 3:37am
The Dead 60s were great. Then the second album came out...
Very true, but we don't mention that second album, thats filed away with The La's second album :mrgreen: to be sure, the anticipation for me with that second album was palpable, they were a young band with loads of potential, loved that first one, got the second album and..and..and, will have to google that one, I'd be interested to know whether it was record company pressure to be more commercial or losing it through the perceived R&R
lifestyle.
Off shore Banking Business still relevent today :naughty:

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

We have a clutch of songs from Welsh band The Super Furry Animals, Rings around the world starts off like a silver machine but quickly generates some Beach Boys melodies and harmonies, next up Hello Sunshine, "You're a minger, I'm a minger too" ...lets ming together, ..Summer Chillin'.
The next track is The man don't give a fuck, the single's packaging features a photograph of the footballer Robin Friday, who was a controversial footballer in his 4 year footballing career, there is an autobiography about him that shows how he maintained his life while being a pro footballer with heavy drinking, substance use and relationships with black women which was taboo in the 70s, he was generally regarded as a major talent, the song itself is regarded as a protest song to oppression of any kind by the band.
SUPER FURRY ANIMAL - (DRAWING) RINGS AROUND THE WORLD

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - HELLO SUNSHINE

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - THE MAN DON'T GIVE A FUCK