What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by Heston »

hairydot61 wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 5:54am
We have a clutch of songs from Welsh band The Super Furry Animals, Rings around the world starts off like a silver machine but quickly generates some Beach Boys melodies and harmonies, next up Hello Sunshine, "You're a minger, I'm a minger too" ...lets ming together, ..Summer Chillin'.
The next track is The man don't give a fuck, the single's packaging features a photograph of the footballer Robin Friday, who was a controversial footballer in his 4 year footballing career, there is an autobiography about him that shows how he maintained his life while being a pro footballer with heavy drinking, substance use and relationships with black women which was taboo in the 70s, he was generally regarded as a major talent, the song itself is regarded as a protest song to oppression of any kind by the band.
SUPER FURRY ANIMAL - (DRAWING) RINGS AROUND THE WORLD

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - HELLO SUNSHINE

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - THE MAN DON'T GIVE A FUCK
Good band, some great songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Good band, some great songs.
[/quote]
For sure, pretty consistant and Gruff Rhys has got some good solo stuff too, cheers
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

His Mother named him Eric and his family name was Goulden, his stage name was Wreckess Eric, one of the original Stiff Records acts, Eric wrote classic pop tunes, he also wrote a few twisted ones too, 'Brain thieves' and Semaphore signals come to mind, he also covered Devo's Be Stiff, he didn't just do pop, he did some dour observational songs about life in general too, Recconez Cherie has some French in it, he released 2 albums on Stiff Records in 1978, I have left his most obvious track till last, its the Stiff single version and sounds like it could be a needle drop recording and still Sublime.
WRECKLESS ERIC - HIT AND MISS JUDY

WRECKLESS ERIC - TAKE THE CASH (K.A.S.H)

WRECKLESS ERIC - RECCONEZ CHERIE

WRECKLESS ERIC - SEMAPHORE -SIGNALS

WRECLESS ERIC - WHOLE WIDE WORLD

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

The UK has a rich history of diverse music, one of the first gigs I went to in 1978 was to see The Stranglers at a place called Stafford Bingley Hall, not far from Birmingham, The Stranglers at the time were banned by various councils which included London because of their 'Punk' credentials, they arranged a big gig at this Large Hall, they laid on coaches for fans to come from all over the UK, a mate and I travelled up from London, they were supported by a Birmingham Reggae band, Steel Pulse, they inititially had a hard time from the crowd to the extent that Hugh Cornwall addressed the crowd to say if 'they' didn't give the band chance The Stranglers wouldn't play, Steel Pulse were musically and visually outstanding, I bought Handsworth Revolution a few weeks later, still listen to it, it is one of the best British Reggae records to be released, covering social and political issues, even addressing the subject of Americas KKK, the Deluxe reissue gives you Dub versions & live versions as well as unreleased tracks.
Sound system was released a year later which is a great Summer tune, Dennis Brown Money in my Pocket was a big Uk tune in 79' a Jamaican tune originated from 72', a Joe Gibbs Production, have this on Lightning Records 12".
STEEL PULSE - HANDSWORTH REVOLUTION

STEEL PULSE - SOUND SYSTEM

DENNIS BROWN - MONEY IN MY POCKET

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Well, I thought the Young England did really well, I was talking them up to a South African chap in the December just gone, I didn't know my lovely wife was catching our chat on her phone and was pleasantly suprised that my observations of what I felt he was criticizing were implemented by the team, I do feel I know why we didn't quite get there, I was disappointed of course but I won't go into an Al Murray Pub Landlord type tirade because the Croations are not French, soooo, rewind, ...first half, even stevens game although England had scored after 5 minutes and the first 30 minutes Croatia were visably rattled to the point of poor passing and generally being overrun, the Croations realise what is afoot and being a little more seasoned in the black arts start to exert a bit of pressure (I don't like Showbizzness) , general aggresive play, you know ELBOWs, kicks, Vinnie Jones type manliness, the young England team don't have the seasoned experience to deal with this and their positive play starts to fall away because they probably feel that they are going to get clattered and get BRUISES, the Croations capitalise on this situation by keeping up this aggresive play and before you know it you have SCATTERED BLACK AND WHITES (its probably a Dominoes analogy but were using it anyway), I think Ruben Loftus Cheek should have been brought on but he is a bit firey and may have got sent off, but I am biased because when he's not out on loan he plays for Chelsea, I think the young England team should forget the first four tracks selected here, go straight for Whale hit the Dancefloor have a few beers and a glass of white wine for the Ladies.
ELBOW - LEADERS OF THE FREE WORLD

ELBOW - NEWBORN

ELBOW - SCATTERED BLACK AND WHITES

CHAIRLIFT - BRUISES

WHALE - HOBO HUMPIN SLOBO BABE

"I'm sick of working for a living I'm just counting off the days till I die, oh I miss you Louise", one of my favourite lyrics but I am British and I quite like my job :mrgreen:

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

I'd forgotten how good that Elbow track was and the apt lyrics "The Leaders of the free world are just little boys throwing stones" but!.
Pleased to see Trumps visit met with righteous indignation from folks that know.

The Second selection here is the debut album from The Young Gods who are a Swiss Industrial band , the album is called L'eau Rouge, translation being 'Red Water', the band use samplers and guitars, it was released in 1989, up first though is Gasoline Man Remix purely for the energy value and it being a great song, the second album comes on like that Nilsson track that Inder posted, kranky cabaret, but the keys belie the toughness of the rest of the album, the lyrics are sung in French ...Skinflowers could be an ode to beautiful Tattoos, you chose?
THE YOUNG GODS - GASOLINE MAN (Mega Drive Remix)

THE YOUNG GODS - L'EAU ROUGE

THE YOUNG GODS - SKINFLOWERS

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

There was some great Reggae around in the 70s and early 80s, from the late 70s comes Janet Kay with Silly games, a Dennis Bovell production, early 80s with Sugar Minott and good thing going, now also in the 80s Smiley Culture with Mr Police Officer, this song was very different from Reggae that was available at the time and uniquely Black British Reggae, I purposely put the video version as it explains more of the times and attitude, the single was a rye observation of the Police stop and search policy at the time, tongue in cheek satire, I was suprised to see Mr Culture die in very strange circumstances in 2011 when he was subject to a Police raid at his house (wiki), lastly The Jolly Brothers with Concsious Man, the track goes into what you might call the Version or Dub if you like, a Lee 'Scratch' Perry Production.
JANET KAY - SILLY GAMES

SUGAR MINOTT - GOOD THING GOING

SMILEY CULTURE - MR POLICE OFFICER

THE JOLLY BROTHERS - CONCIOUS MAN

Be nice to have a day off on Monday ;)

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Am a bit short on time today, you know I love to chat but heres a coupla tunes when music used to be Acid House Baleric sounds, we were spoilt back in the day, even mainstream artists like Chris Rea and Simply Red got danced to, there seemed to be no snobbery, just music that worked when mixed well together,... well that and E  E  E  E  EX taaasssssy.
Lots of Love for this KLF track, its a given that My Bloody Valentine was released later but its Andy Weatherall DJ Supreme mix, although there are a couple of his large mixes I have Struggled with, House of Bamboo I have on 12".
MC Kinky giving it Large with Boy George's E Zee Posse on 12".
THE KLF - MADRUGADA ETERNA

E ZEE POSSE - EVERYTHING STARTS WITH AN E

MY BLOODY VALENTINE - SOON (Andrew Weatherall Mix)

EARL GRANT - HOUSE OF BAMBOO

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

It just goes to show you how you can change the ambience of a piece of music to give something more energy, the drums and Bassline turn our previous opener KLF Madrugada Eterna into a mid paced club tune, they really compliment each other, the original track was lifted from a seminal ambient album called Chillout, it is more of a field recordings with music, there is some amazing sound montages on it, very nice to listen to in the dark, in fact I'll pop it on here rather than just talk about it, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers -Rollercoaster by the sea is the B side of Egyptian Reggae 77', still got the 7" and I sing it when I'm in a jaunty (adjective) mood, there is a debut album by The Modern Lovers that as far as I know Jonathan Richman has sort of disowned due to him thinking the sound of the finished album was too tough for his musical shift to lighter musical horizons, worth checking out.
KLF - MAGADRUGA ETERNA (Club Mix)

JONATHAN RICHMAN AND THE MODERN LOVERS - ROLLERCOASTER BY THE SEA

KLF - CHILLOUT (UK Version)

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

From the ashes of The Pop Group' came Mark Stewart and Maffia, the first two tracks produced by Adrian Sherwood and Mark Stewart, forward thinking agit pop punk funk Industrial strength from 83 - 84 or there abouts, 30 odd years old and still holds water within the current Internatinal climate, Gang war in comparison is a new addition and most welcome.
MARK STEWART AND MAFFIA - HYPNOTISED

MARK STEWART AND MAFFIA - THE WRONG NAME AND THE WRONG NUMBER (Original Version)

MARK STEWART AND LEE PERRY - GANG WAR

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Hey man, didn't you get the don't encourge him memo, and all the old folks go.....
"Doo doo doo doo doo doo - doo doo doo
Doo doo doo - doo doo doo doo doo doo -
Doo doo doo doo doo - doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo"
Tiger Claw Skank is on The Full Contact 'Dry and Heavy set, Noiseshaper on the Echo Beach Label, High Tone are a law unto themselves and French.
.                     Seen
FULL CONTACT - TIGER CLAW SKANK

NOISESHAPER - RISE (Adrian Sherwood Mix)

NOISESHAPER - JAH DUB

RUTS DC - WEAKHEART DUB (RSD Mix)

HIGH TONE - UNDERGROUND WOBBLE
Last edited by hairydot61 on 12 Aug 2018, 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Some younger peeps may not have heard these, yes, Buzzcocks are a fairly well known Punk band with the very first self released Spiral Scratch e.p an all (Influenced Indepenent Labels), I wanted to put the album up Another Music in a Different Kitchen from 1978 but its got adverts all over it sooo they can 'Do One', I see they are playing the Royal Albert Hall soon, I did see them locally last year and they were Brilliant, I missed their gig at Woolwich Poly in 78' but that was distrupted by National Front Skinheads and ended in a Riot, the band still have it in bucket loads, Steve Diggle just does the whole guitar hero bit and really interacts with the Crowd, the Original album was produced by Martin Rushent, he did The Stranglers first two albums, I Love the sound of Buzzcocks debut, strong strong album.
BUZZCOCKS - AUTONOMY

BUZZCOCKS - FICTION ROMANCE

BUZZCOCKS - FAST CARS

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

The Lo Fidelity allstars original lineup from around 1996 only managed to survive for the debut album 'How to Operate with a Blown Mind' they signed to the Fat Boy Slim asscociated Skint Label, the band members took on asumed names like The Wrekked Train or Albino Priest, a bit like The Wu Tang Clan I suppose, anyway they produced a fairly impressive debut album with a snotty arty lo fi attitude, lead singer Dave Randall AKA The Wrekked Train left the band on the eve of a major tour after the first album apparently to concentrate on painting. The band did go on to release more albums but the music changed direction, as far as I'm aware they are still operating as a band.
You may want to give one or two of these tracks a good minute to warm up, then they kick in good and proper
THE LO FIDELITY ALLSTARS - BATTLEFLAG
(Featuring Pigeonhed)

THE LO FIDELITY ALLSTARS - DISCO MACHINE GUN

THE LO FIDELITY ALLSTARS - KOOL ROC BASS

LO FIDELITY ALLSTARS - MANY TENTACLES PIMPING ON THE KEYS

LO FIDELITY ALLSTARS - THE ALL THE ALL
(From the Ghost Mutt e.p)

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Barry Andrews started out in XTC, he wanted to write his own tunes sooo he left to do his own thing, he hooked up with a few muso's which included Dave Allen who was in Gang of Four, they formed Shriekback, moving on, ...a member of Pigbag used to be in 'The Pop Group' with Mark Stewart, and Shriekback and Pigbag were on Y Records, I told you everything was Relative didn't I, apart from !!! Or Chk Chk Chk as they are also known who are just Relatively Funky....Slyd (2013)
...........Steve Marriot for Me. :evil:
SHRIEKBACK - ALL LINED UP

SHRIEKBACK - MY SPINE (Is the Bassline)

PIGBAG - PAPAS GOT A BRAND NEW PIGBAG

'!!!' Or 'Chk Chk Chk' - SLYD

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

British hip hop from a man like Depth Charge, J Saul Kane, I picked this up on CD long time, it has great use of beats and samples, I have to replace my copy of the CD as it has that thing where the outside of the CD is starting to go black and degrade, I think Metallica called it Creeping Death, anyway my personal favourite here is Dead by Dawn with the use of the Yanks singing "Did you ever think" and also the woman that shouts " THAT THING IN THE CELLAR...IS NOT MY MOTHER!!!!, Genius,
From the album NINE DEADLY VENOMS......
DEPTH - CHARGE - SHAOLIN BUDDHA FINGER

DEPTH CHARGE - BOUNTY KILLER

DEPTH CHARGE - HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA (Whats in the Bag Man)

DEPTH CHARGE - DEAD BY DAWN