What should I be listening to right now?

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: What should I be listening to right now?

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:52pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:49pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:40pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:25pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:07pm
No Bruce just kind of sucks. I probably hate his delivery most of all. But yeah I know I hate everything.
I feel a challenge in the offing... ;)
I was very much alive in the 80s early 90s, and lived in the NY/NJ area for the first 20+ years of my life I've heard more than my fair share of Springsteen especially for a non-fan.
OK. I would have used lesser known things, probably mostly unreleased stuff, anyway. Heavy guitar oriented, deep heart-of-darkness themes, all that fun stuff we like.
Tell you what, I'll submit. Its an uphill battle though.
You're on. (or is that urine? :mrgreen: ). See you on the "Challenge Thread", mate.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

HAIL BBC4 :mrgreen:

Oh, they've gone now, they've gone.......
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:56pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 3:25pm

I feel a challenge in the offing... ;)
I was very much alive in the 80s early 90s, and lived in the NY/NJ area for the first 20+ years of my life I've heard more than my fair share of Springsteen especially for a non-fan.
OK. I would have used lesser known things, probably mostly unreleased stuff, anyway. Heavy guitar oriented, deep heart-of-darkness themes, all that fun stuff we like.
You're on. (or is that urine? :mrgreen: ). See you on the "Challenge Thread", mate.
You've never fought such an uphill battle as this.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 5:51pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

Ok, tell ya what...you've said you dig some folk and Celtic musics, yeah? (I think you're a Pogues fan). Hows about I keep it to real quiet low key and Irish things you likely have never heard, so you can concentrate on the songwriting/lyric aspect (with a bit of Celtic punch), rather than try the classic r n' r stuff, as that would seem the more uphill battle. Deal?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:20pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Ok, tell ya what...you've said you dig some folk and Celtic musics, yeah? (I think you're a Pogues fan). Hows about I keep it to real quiet low key and Irish things you likely have never heard, so you can concentrate on the songwriting/lyric aspect (with a bit of Celtic punch), rather than try the classic r n' r stuff, as that would seem the more uphill battle. Deal?
Bring it. Ill try to be as objective as possible but FYI I hate Springsteen on like a Phil Collins level.

But yeah I really dig the Pogues and some folky celtic stuff in general.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

Bring it. Ill try to be as objective as possible but FYI I hate Springsteen on like a Phil Collins level.
K, forget it. Hate's a pretty strong word. But I'm curious - why do you hate him/his (Springsteen) music so much?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:28pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

K, forget it. Hate's a pretty strong word. But I'm curious - why do you hate him/his (Springsteen) music so much?
No, no lets do this, you've kind of piqued my interest. I probably throw hate around too easily.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Thats a pretty fair offer, sort of eases you in on a level you'd be familiar with, you might like at least some of it, in fact you might surprise yourself?, sort of Enya meets Shane McGowen down the boozer for the crac of it, Knowwarimean?, might be quite enlightening, a few good stories between the pair of em over a few pints of the black stuff, how I miss that!!!

THE WILDHEARTS - TV TAN

. DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY
. TELEVISION THE DRUG OF THE NATION
I think theres a theme going on here, just out of pure coincidence, I think The Police called it Syncronicity & Shane McGowan called it Dirty old Town, you know, down by the gas works wall dere.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

hairydot61 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:53pm
Thats a pretty fair offer, sort of eases you in on a level you'd be familiar with, you might like at least some of it, in fact you might surprise yourself?, sort of Enya meets Shane McGowen down the boozer for the crac of it, Knowwarimean?, might be quite enlightening, a few good stories between the pair of em over a few pints of the black stuff, how I miss that!!!

THE WILDHEARTS - TV TAN

I think theres a theme going on here, just out of pure coincidence, I think The Police called it Syncronicity & Shane McGowan called it Dirty old Town, you know, down by the gas works wall dere.
That Disposable Heroes of Hyporisy album is great, Id almost even say better than PE, but they didnt have the longevity.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:37pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:28pm
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

No, no lets do this, you've kind of piqued my interest. I probably throw hate around too easily.
OK, the 10 are over on the Challenge Thread, hater.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Thanks muppet. I'm in a low bw area for a few days, reliable streaming is kind of out of the question for a few days. I will put it at the top of my list for when I return

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 7:30pm
Thanks muppet. I'm in a low bw area for a few days, reliable streaming is kind of out of the question for a few days. I will put it at the top of my list for when I return
May The Force be with You for your challenge.
Its a long time since I heard the album by the Disposable heroes, can remember enjoying it, will have to dig it out for the P.E comparison, when the technology, beats, lyrics and attitude come together its a jaw dropping combination.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 7:15pm
hairydot61 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 6:53pm

THE WILDHEARTS - TV TAN

That Disposable Heroes of Hyporisy album is great, Id almost even say better than PE, but they didnt have the longevity.
A like a few Wildhearts songs, they're my home town's most famous export apart from saveloy dips.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sick of Drugs is great...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Heston wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 2:54am
Sick of Drugs is great...

Great band, Ginger is a national treasure, is he in the States now?, got a Merkin mate who really into his music, you must have seen them a few times?, very level headed and down to earth, great musician, the band are probably responsible for my partile hearing loss, saw them at The Marquee with Wolfsbane in the 90s, then in the early ok2000s my ex and I went to see them at The Hall for Cornwall, they were soooooo loud my ex couldn't hear for 3 days :huh: considering she was a dental receptionist arranging appointments, she wouldn't let me forget it ;)
...good to hear you enjoyed the selection.
Digressing for a bit, I don't mind a bit o' Springsteen, he did Tunnel of Love, not bad, I do prefer The Fun Boy Three version, typically Terry Hall dead pan British, not a great advert for 'Love' but in general we are sold these concepts from an early age, until we feel we know better.
Anyway, THE FUN BOY THREE - TUNNEL OF LOVE 83'
Followed by 2 Tracks by DALEK I from the album Compass kumpas, these 2 tracks sit together on the album, I love the flow of them, the first one A Suicide, I know a subject matter not to be taken lightly, but then on the CD that track is immediately followed by The Kiss, there is something hi camp about it in a floppy sort of way, you could probably even wave Gladioli about to it but the point I'm trying to make here is, moods are changable.

The DALEK I Album is pretty good for 1980
As a Collective the Fun Boy Three were great.