General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Oasis set to split?

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:I like Oasis about as much as I like JD. They have a few decent tunes, I will give them that.

Kiss' Black Diamond is superior. It has guitar heroics. Quit praising The Replacements' version, you are showing hipster "ironic" tendencies.
It's not irony to prefer a rock band to a bunch of made up twats.
Don't have both handy, but I remember the Kiss version being more rock what with over the top guitar wanking and yelling.
You are exactly the opposite of right.

Seriously, the Replacements having guitar wanking?
I was gonna re-post the YouTube videos for comparison, but it seems the Replacements' version has been deleted due to copyright infringement and being totally shit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:I like Oasis about as much as I like JD. They have a few decent tunes, I will give them that.

Kiss' Black Diamond is superior. It has guitar heroics. Quit praising The Replacements' version, you are showing hipster "ironic" tendencies.
Don't have both handy, but I remember the Kiss version being more rock what with over the top guitar wanking and yelling.

I read it as Hoy saying the Kiss version has the over the top guitar wanking and yelling. And that this is a good thing.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I read it as Hoy saying the Kiss version has the over the top guitar wanking and yelling. And that this is a good thing.
Upon rereading, you are correct in your interpretation.

But your anti-Replacements stance has long been on record.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: It's not irony to prefer a rock band to a bunch of made up twats.

Anti-Replacements? Is that possible?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: Don't have both handy, but I remember the Kiss version being more rock what with over the top guitar wanking and yelling.

Anti-Replacements? Is that possible?
I remember at one point years ago (like 2004), Hoykworm said something along the lines of the only 'Mats song he liked was "Bastards of Young."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: It's not irony to prefer a rock band to a bunch of made up twats.

Que? On the topic of Black Diamond in particular and Kiss vs. The Replacements in general, I side with The Replacements. Indeed, I believe it was my shiv to his groin that surprised Heston in the poll. My "good thing" comment was a continuation of the interpretation of Hoy.
I remember at one point years ago (like 2004), Hoykworm said something along the lines of the only 'Mats song he liked was "Bastards of Young."
Not untrue. Not a big Replacements fan, but they're better than Kiss.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: Don't have both handy, but I remember the Kiss version being more rock what with over the top guitar wanking and yelling.

Que? On the topic of Black Diamond in particular and Kiss vs. The Replacements in general, I side with The Replacements. Indeed, I believe it was my shiv to his groin that surprised Heston in the poll. My "good thing" comment was a continuation of the interpretation of Hoy.
Not untrue. Not a big Replacements fan, but they're better than Kiss.
I like a few of their tunes. Bastards is probably my favorite though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Indeed, I believe it was my shiv to his groin that surprised Heston in the poll.
I took a few knees to the groin in that poll, but you're all wrong (Hoy excepted, of course).
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:you're all wrong (Hoy excepted, of course).

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I retract my statement about Dr. Medulla and the Replacements and get back to what's really important:

Oasis is largely boring.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:I retract my statement about Dr. Medulla and the Replacements and get back to what's really important:

Oasis is largely boring.
Then we're in agreement, though I would say Oasis ARE largely boring. Is this another North Atlantic division thing?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:I retract my statement about Dr. Medulla and the Replacements and get back to what's really important:

Oasis is largely boring.
Then we're in agreement, though I would say Oasis ARE largely boring. Is this another North Atlantic division thing?
I guess I was thinking of Oasis as a single boring entity, not an aggregate thereof. It's more likely US regional dialect differentiation than a pure NA/UK split. In fact, in hindsight, "are" sounds more right to my ears as well.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:In fact, in hindsight, Kiss' version of Black Diamond sounds more right to my ears as well.
Thanks Wolt. :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It shouldn't go unnoticed that Oasis is a truly awful name for a band. As in no effort whatsoever. No surprise, really, that their success was built on ripping off others when they couldn't even come up with a decent band name on their own.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:In fact, in hindsight, Kiss' version of Black Diamond sounds hellish to my ears as well.
Thanks Wolt. :mrgreen:
Well, it's just the truth.

I really may see them in November. Maybe.

If I do, I'll be sure to get a pic of myself throwing the horns.