Oasis set to split?

General music discussion.
MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Re: Oasis set to split?

Post by MadModWorld »

Wait....
Are we calling Oasis boring?

Yet its widely accepted that Joy Division are what? Exciting?

X(
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:It shouldn't go unnoticed that Oasis is a truly awful name for a band. As in no effort whatsoever. No surprise, really, that their success was built on ripping off others when they couldn't even come up with a decent band name on their own.
Indeed, I remember when they first started getting mentioned in the press over here, I thought they must be some kind of faggy synth-act, the name was that twee.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

MadModWorld wrote:Wait....

X(
Both boring if you ask me. JD slightly more exciting live.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

X(
I wouldn't use the word exciting to describe Joy Division, and they never aspired to be exciting. Intense, demanding, somewhat disturbing, but JD definitely weren't boring.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

Really dont like Joy Division - am I alone in this?
Think they're utter bollocks.

Not saying this to be different, like...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:

X(
Both boring if you ask me. JD slightly more exciting live.
LWTUA and Transmission get the raves, but more and more the JD (and NO) song that gets me is "Ceremony." Even without the lyrics it sounds like intense despair. For me, it's one of the top five post-punk songs.
[youtube][/youtube]

edit: Just ordered a copy of Deborah Curtis' book on Ian. Mainly curious about what she has to say about his epilepsy and its effect on her.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

MadModWorld wrote:Really dont like Joy Division - am I alone in this?

I wouldn't call them utter bollocks, but I'm not keen. Like Cobain, I think Ian Curtis has elevated status because of death.

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

Heston wrote:

I wouldn't call them utter bollocks, but I'm not keen. Like Cobain, I think Ian Curtis has elevated status because of death.
Definitely.
I like about 1 or 2 songs, but not even all that much.
Cant get into em.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:

That's undeniable—a perfect case of death being a great career move (see Vicious, Sid). Also didn't hurt New Order. And I've said before (agreeing either with you or Hoy) that Ian's voice often weakens a song. I've never really enjoyed his voice, even if I realize his contributions, especially in the lyrics and conviction of his delivery. I'd certainly never fetishize Ian Curtis like the suburban goth kids, but he was a talented guy and a genuinely tortured soul. Authentic, unfortunately.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

That's undeniable—a perfect case of death being a great career move (see Vicious, Sid). Also didn't hurt New Order. And I've said before (agreeing either with you or Hoy) that Ian's voice often weakens a song. I've never really enjoyed his voice, even if I realize his contributions, especially in the lyrics and conviction of his delivery. I'd certainly never fetishize Ian Curtis like the suburban goth kids, but he was a talented guy and a genuinely tortured soul. Authentic, unfortunately.
The voice doesn't really bug me. I don't buy the "tortured" soul bit. Yeah he had epilepsy, that sucks. What bothered me is his emoness over his wife. Like I've said before, he was a nobody and married some homely English chick, got famous and started banging hot groupies and felt bad about it? Oh, soooo conflicted and tortured. And he had a baby too. What a schmuck.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

The voice doesn't really bug me. I don't buy the "tortured" soul bit. Yeah he had epilepsy, that sucks. What bothered me is his emoness over his wife. Like I've said before, he was a nobody and married some homely English chick, got famous and started banging hot groupies and felt bad about it? Oh, soooo conflicted and tortured. And he had a baby too. What a schmuck.
Um, yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and call you wrong, and that's being mild. Depending on the severity—and I gather that IC's was pretty intense—epilepsy can be a complete lifefuck, affecting personality and perceptions. The paranoia and despair in his lyrics ring true to me, not least because he ended up killing himself. His epilepsy was pretty much a death sentence for a meaningful life for his needs. His doctor told him he had to quit the group because performance—the energy and the lights—would worsen his condition. So his choice was dying or losing what was meaningful. Sorry, man, calling him emo completely misses the distinction between someone genuinely fucked up and someone playing at it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Um, yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and call you wrong, and that's being mild. Depending on the severity—and I gather that IC's was pretty intense—epilepsy can be a complete lifefuck, affecting personality and perceptions. The paranoia and despair in his lyrics ring true to me, not least because he ended up killing himself. His epilepsy was pretty much a death sentence for a meaningful life for his needs. His doctor told him he had to quit the group because performance—the energy and the lights—would worsen his condition. So his choice was dying or losing what was meaningful. Sorry, man, calling him emo completely misses the distinction between someone genuinely fucked up and someone playing at it.
I'm going solely off of Control which made his marriage seem like the root of his depression. I know epilepsy can cause all sorts of problems as you mentioned, but the film made that a lesser point. You are quite possibly right, but I am going off of one source which could likely be skewed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

"I'm basing my opinion of a person off of a biopic because that's about as Hoyish a thing as can be done."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Yawn yawn yawn who gives a fuck whether anyone in the US has heard or cares about Oasis. Yes Liam is a twat and Noel is full of shit but in their prime they were an oustanding band that put out some great albums (managed to sell one or two as well) and played some brilliant gigs. Ten years later they can still sell some albums and do a stadium tour. I think I am not their only fan.

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

I genuinely don't know why I feel the need to "protect" and defend this band...
But they're a top band; great, mindblowing tunes.
Noel & Liam have got personalities, they're fucking funny!
Noel, Andy, Gem & Liam write great songs and they perform them brilliantly.
They're fucking loved and appreciated.

Top band, top band.