The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7374
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Jul 2017, 2:27pm

Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
In terms of being super catchy pop music from the 80s that doesn't make me want to die, I think it hits the mark better than most items from that era.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Jul 2017, 2:42pm

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:27pm
Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
In terms of being super catchy pop music from the 80s that doesn't make me want to die, I think it hits the mark better than most items from that era.
Heston has a trunkful of Kajagoogoo cassettes that he thinks will make your weekend.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7374
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Jul 2017, 2:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:27pm
Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
In terms of being super catchy pop music from the 80s that doesn't make me want to die, I think it hits the mark better than most items from that era.
Heston has a trunkful of Kajagoogoo cassettes that he thinks will make your weekend.
I like a decent amount of 80s pop, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Jul 2017, 2:56pm

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:27pm
Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
In terms of being super catchy pop music from the 80s that doesn't make me want to die, I think it hits the mark better than most items from that era.
Heston has a trunkful of Kajagoogoo cassettes that he thinks will make your weekend.
I like a decent amount of 80s pop, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
I'm just saying that Heston hopes you'll draw that line in really awful places.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 14 Jul 2017, 3:16pm

Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.

For me the moment I heard "Modern Love" on the album I knew it had to be a single and I sincerely love that track. The three singles are all great the problem with the album for me is those 3 singles are the first 3 songs on the album. The other great track in my opinion is "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" and that had already been released on a soundtrack "Cat People" and as a single in April '82 a full year before before the re-recorded Let's Dance version and I prefer the original. The track "Without You" was also released as a single in the US but I'm personally not that keen on it. The other track I like is "Ricochet". The cover of Meto's "Criminal World" is perfunctory.
Image
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7374
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Jul 2017, 3:35pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:56pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 2:27pm
Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm


The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
In terms of being super catchy pop music from the 80s that doesn't make me want to die, I think it hits the mark better than most items from that era.
Heston has a trunkful of Kajagoogoo cassettes that he thinks will make your weekend.
I like a decent amount of 80s pop, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
I'm just saying that Heston hopes you'll draw that line in really awful places.
I'll draw a line around the city that was built on rock & roll to keep people in.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 14 Jul 2017, 3:36pm

1 min 45 secs.


2 mins 34 secs.
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12594
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 14 Jul 2017, 5:48pm

I like the Let's Dance album too, even if it gets strangely Broadway after the 1-2-3 opening salvo.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7374
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 14 Jul 2017, 6:47pm

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 3:36pm
1 min 45 secs.


2 mins 34 secs.
I watch enough Dwarf that I didn't need the second video, but that's interesting. Intentional?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Jul 2017, 6:21am

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 6:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 3:36pm
1 min 45 secs.


2 mins 34 secs.
I watch enough Dwarf that I didn't need the second video, but that's interesting. Intentional?
I would like to think so but have no clue to be honest. Looking forward to the new RD series.
Image
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49236
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter » 15 Jul 2017, 1:34pm

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 3:16pm
Flex wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:47pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.

For me the moment I heard "Modern Love" on the album I knew it had to be a single and I sincerely love that track. The three singles are all great the problem with the album for me is those 3 singles are the first 3 songs on the album. The other great track in my opinion is "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" and that had already been released on a soundtrack "Cat People" and as a single in April '82 a full year before before the re-recorded Let's Dance version and I prefer the original. The track "Without You" was also released as a single in the US but I'm personally not that keen on it. The other track I like is "Ricochet". The cover of Meto's "Criminal World" is perfunctory.
I'll cosign this opinion.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Jul 2017, 2:16pm

Was Let's Dance regarded as a sell-out by his ardent fans or was it treated as yet another sly reinvention? Or something else altogether?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49236
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter » 15 Jul 2017, 2:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 2:16pm
Was Let's Dance regarded as a sell-out by his ardent fans or was it treated as yet another sly reinvention? Or something else altogether?
Kind of a sell out. But it wasn't until he repeated himself but worse with Tonight that he lost most of them.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71122
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Jul 2017, 3:18pm

Wolter wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 2:16pm
Was Let's Dance regarded as a sell-out by his ardent fans or was it treated as yet another sly reinvention? Or something else altogether?
Kind of a sell out. But it wasn't until he repeated himself but worse with Tonight that he lost most of them.
I can see why some regarded it that way, but the advent of MTV seemed perfect for a visually compelling artist, so releasing something that would get MTV play seems artistically justified.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Jul 2017, 4:24pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 3:18pm
Wolter wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 2:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 2:16pm
Was Let's Dance regarded as a sell-out by his ardent fans or was it treated as yet another sly reinvention? Or something else altogether?
Kind of a sell out. But it wasn't until he repeated himself but worse with Tonight that he lost most of them.
I can see why some regarded it that way, but the advent of MTV seemed perfect for a visually compelling artist, so releasing something that would get MTV play seems artistically justified.
Bowie was as you say "visually compelling" but always retained a certain artistic dignity with regards to his music. Up until "Let's Dance" he was the guy who led the way with innovative music but "Let's Dance" was definitely a stab at commercialism where previously he would find his success by breaking new ground. Nothing at all wrong with "Let's Dance" being a pop record as it contains some fine pop music. If you play Scary Monsters then play Let's Dance straight after it's like two different artists.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heston, Rat Patrol and 6 guests