The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Inder »

Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 2:02pm
It's been a while since I last heard Bowie reduced to Endless Undulating Triads.
I owe $35k to the Endless Undulating Triads.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Not proud to admit my Bowie knowledge suffers from a serious shortfall, so really enjoying ploughing through Dylan Jones’ mammoth David Bowie: A Life at the moment with the back catalogue spinning away in the background.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I think I like Diamond Dogs (the song) so much as that it is basically a early-mid 70's Stones song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 11:37am
I think I like Diamond Dogs (the song) so much as that it is basically a early-mid 70's Stones song.
God dammit, Ho...wait, I'm so used to saying that. I actually agree with you! :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 11:37am
Good eye, kid. Good eye. (er, ear). Bowie's guitar playing on it (the whole album really) is a great clattering, unholy cross between Keef and Rono. One of my desert island songs/albums for sure.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I was listening to Ziggy at work today and found myself really dialing into the guitar on Suffragette City. I’ve heard this song many, many times...but found myself noticing subtle little details - maybe because I was REALLY listening close while I worked (I tend to lose myself in music when I’m doing design work). Always kind of cool when you can find something “new” in something old. Ronson plays those throaty riffs - almost punk in nature - with such incredible tone. I think when you hear it on a stereo - you get hit by the song as a whole - but man - good stuff.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I watched the documentary The Last Five Years last night.
Very sad but also very inspiring at the same time. Only Bowie could make his own death part of his legacy.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Couldn’t agree more about DB being God, I’ve got one question though...
How in the blue blazes did “Who Can I Be Now?” get left off Young Americans????
What a song!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Carpentologist wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 12:57am
What a song!
Lot of good outtakes from that era. “After Today” and the cover of “It’s Hard To Be Saint In the City” come to mind.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 2:29pm
I watched the documentary The Last Five Years last night.
Very sad but also very inspiring at the same time. Only Bowie could make his own death part of his legacy.
I agree. He turned the process of dying into an artistic expression.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

What are your thoughts on this? https://pitchfork.com/news/car-seat-hea ... n-special/

I heard a snippet of Billy Corgan ruining Space Oddity, so I don't know if I cand give it a listen. Stern is evidently a huge Bowie fan, though, so his intentions are noble. I have a well-documented hatred of Corgan's voice, so I may be biased.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 1:26am
Carpentologist wrote:
What a song!
Lot of good outtakes from that era. “After Today” and the cover of “It’s Hard To Be Saint In the City” come to mind.
"Saint In the City" was a bit later I think, from the 'Station to Station' sessions. But yeah - how did the YA sessions version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" not make it? To be fair, you sort of need the full length version to get the full on, manic, coke in the disco effect, and it wouldn't fit on an LP. The edits of it don't nearly do it justice.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 4:55pm
Wolter wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
What a song!
"Saint In the City" was a bit later I think, from the 'Station to Station' sessions. But yeah - how did the YA sessions version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" not make it? To be fair, you sort of need the full length version to get the full on, manic, coke in the disco effect, and it wouldn't fit on an LP. The edits of it don't nearly do it justice.
Got to pull my Bowie pedant card. Saint actually likely predates the bulk of the Young Americans sessions. Probably first recorded in late 74. POSSIBLY re-recorded during the Station sessions.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:54pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
What a song!
Got to pull my Bowie pedant card. Saint actually likely predates the bulk of the Young Americans sessions. Probably first recorded in late 74. POSSIBLY re-recorded during the Station sessions.
Maybe you're thinking of the other Bruce song he did after the 'Diamond Dogs' sessions, "Growin' Up". The version I have of "Saint" is on the 'Sound and Vision' box, and it lists Davis and Murray as the rhythm section, recorded in LA and not Philly or NYC (and it clearly is, as I know their work as well as I know Willy Weeks and Andy Newmark's work). Or maybe you have a different version (I admit I only know the version on Sound and Vision, the remaster).

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 7:07pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:54pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
What a song!
Maybe you're thinking of the other Bruce song he did after the 'Diamond Dogs' sessions, "Growin' Up". The version I have of "Saint" is on the 'Sound and Vision' box, and it lists Davis and Murray as the rhythm section, recorded in LA and not Philly or NYC (and it clearly is, as I know their work as well as I know Willy Weeks and Andy Newmark's work). Or maybe you have a different version (I admit I only know the version on Sound and Vision, the remaster).
I’m offended that you think I’d confuse the two. I’m sourcing it from Chris O’Leary’s exhaustive Pushing Ahead of the Dame. https://www.google.com/amp/s/bowiesongs ... -city/amp/