17 Jan 2017, 5:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 4:00am

All good mate.
Kylie's music has hardly changed since day 1 aside from a few remixes and how much real involvement has she had in any of her songs?Even as pop music goes nothing Kylie has done comes close to Like A Prayer.
That's totally not true. I'm not going to defend her music as being essential or anything, but that's a false statement. The changes in production techniques across the board in the industry alone...
Fair point but that is nothing to do with Kylie or the songs themselves.
I think when the music is almost entirely synthetic, it has a lot to do with the songs themselves. You'd be hard pressed to prove to me that a Stock, Aitken, and Waterman-produced song sounds like a Pharrell-produced song.
Are those the guys from Yes?
They're best known as the producers behind Rick Astley.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2017, 5:12pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Jan 2017, 5:11pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2017, 5:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 4:20pm

That's totally not true. I'm not going to defend her music as being essential or anything, but that's a false statement. The changes in production techniques across the board in the industry alone...
Fair point but that is nothing to do with Kylie or the songs themselves.
I think when the music is almost entirely synthetic, it has a lot to do with the songs themselves. You'd be hard pressed to prove to me that a Stock, Aitken, and Waterman-produced song sounds like a Pharrell-produced song.
Are those the guys from Yes?
They're best known as the producers behind Rick Astley.
And Dead Or Alive plus over 100 other top 40 hits (99% of which are completely unmemorable).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Woman at David Bowie's 1976 Rochester arrest sets record straight 40 years later.
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/rochester ... ocent.html
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:43am
Woman at David Bowie's 1976 Rochester arrest sets record straight 40 years later.
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/rochester ... ocent.html
Most elegant mugshot in human history.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I'll be there, you can watch streaming

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Finally got the 'Who Can I Be Now?' box, and one NME review in the book says that Ronnie Wood plays the guitar on "Stay" from 'Station to Station' (without, or in addition to Alomar or Slick?).

Also, Tony Visconti claims, in his piece on mixing 'Diamond Dogs', that Bowie didn't play the main guitar riff on "Rebel Rebel". Add to that that I'd read somewhere that Woody was instrumental/inspirational on both "Rebel Rebel" and "Diamond Dogs" (the song).

Anybody know anything about these things? Marky?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Feb 2017, 1:25am
Finally got the 'Who Can I Be Now?' box, and one NME review in the book says that Ronnie Wood plays the guitar on "Stay" from 'Station to Station' (without, or in addition to Alomar or Slick?).

Also, Tony Visconti claims, in his piece on mixing 'Diamond Dogs', that Bowie didn't play the main guitar riff on "Rebel Rebel". Add to that that I'd read somewhere that Woody was instrumental/inspirational on both "Rebel Rebel" and "Diamond Dogs" (the song).

Interesting info—I'm curious too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:

Bowie came up with riff allegedly to piss off Mick Jagger as it's clearly a Keth Richards style riff. The actual riff on the record was played by Alan Parker.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:27pm
muppet hi fi wrote:

Bowie came up with riff allegedly to piss off Mick Jagger as it's clearly a Keth Richards style riff. The actual riff on the record was played by Alan Parker.
Interesting - that's a Richards style that I associate with a little later in the decade. More Start Me Up than the stuff on Exile On Main Street that was contemporary to Rebel Rebel. He noticed something about the playing at the time which I would have missed. Caricatured it and saw where it was heading.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Interesting - that's a Richards style that I associate with a little later in the decade. More Start Me Up than the stuff on Exile On Main Street that was contemporary to Rebel Rebel. He noticed something about the playing at the time which I would have missed. Caricatured it and saw where it was heading.
Satifaction guaranteed. The riff on Rebel Rebel is a never ending cycle the same way Satisfaction goes on and on.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/david-bowie ... -off-11918

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

hmmm...I've always thought Parker only played the funky wah-wah part on "1984".

And the Rebel Rebel guitar doesn't sound much like Ron Wood, but he is a pretty versitile player for basic, driving approaches. And consider this too:

Bowie and Wood were hanging out a fair bit in '73. The basic track for the Stones' It's Only Rock n' Roll (recorded in '73) was recorded at Woody's house, featuring Bowie on the chorus' backing vox, and Willie Weeks on bass, (who played on both Woods' first two solo albums, also recorded at his house), as well as Bowie's Young American/Gouster album from late '74.

So I think there's a fair chance Woody could have had something to do with some Diamond Dogs tracks, possibly writing the riff for Rebel Rebel.
As for Stay - well, considering some of the deep R & B and funk licks he played on his first two solo albums ('74 & '75), that could, maybe, be him on the track? Again, doesn't really sound like him much, but until he joined the Stones, he was able to get a lot of tones and flavors (fucking Keef and his huge ego!)...

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:39pm
Satifaction guaranteed. The riff on Rebel Rebel is a never ending cycle the same way Satisfaction goes on and on.

Marky, can you find the full article from that Uncut issue? Been all over their website, can't find the full piece. Or do ya have to pay/be registered?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

double post

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 11:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2017, 5:39pm

Marky, can you find the full article from that Uncut issue? Been all over their website, can't find the full piece. Or do ya have to pay/be registered?
The latter sadly.

This is the best Bowie site on the net for my money. Simply awesome.

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... bel-rebel/

Alan Parker played the riff on the record, using a Les Paul standard and a Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker. He later said Bowie had about three-fourths of the riff down when he played it for Parker on an acoustic guitar: he told Parker to make it a bit more Rolling Stones. Parker replayed the riff on his electric, adding some clang and bends (Bowie credited Parker with the three final notes of the riff: Ab, D and E). Its godfather was Keith Richards, who’d made a lifetime habit of compelling two-chord riffs; its target was Mick Ronson, who Bowie seemed to be trying to outdo.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft