The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by muppet hi fi »

I don't know any Kylie Minogue songs; I've heard her a couple times, but I just figured she was in the Britney Spears realm. Is there something I missed re: her being spoken of in the same sentence as Bowie?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Jan 2017, 8:52pm
I don't know any Kylie Minogue songs; I've heard her a couple times, but I just figured she was in the Britney Spears realm. Is there something I missed re: her being spoken of in the same sentence as Bowie?
I'd say, given her longevity, she's more like a Madonna that never fully broke in America. But no. This would be like comparing Shania Twain to Johnny Cash. Sure, one can like one better, but let's not pretend they're on the same sphere of influence.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'd say it's even further apart than that. They're not even really i the same genre n or trying to do the samw thing except in the most rudimentary sense.

I like Kylie and her music fwiw.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kylie is straight up pop music in its most basic sense. Her name should not even be in the same thread as Bowie or Madonna.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

If you are comparing Kylie with anyone I would suggest Robbie Williams with whom by coincidence she recorded a duet.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Well, I honestly don't know much about Kylie or her music, and I certainly despise the narrative of 'oh she's pretty and plays dancey music therefore you should hate and ridicule her'. Hell, maybe she is really great. I certainly wouldn't argue with someone putting Madonna on par with Bowie (not that I would); and Madge and loads of other female artists of the modern era owe a ton, in so many ways, to Kate Bush, and I do put Kate on a par with Bowie. So I guess I'm just pleading ignorance about Kylie... :question:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 12:03am
Well, I honestly don't know much about Kylie or her music, and I certainly despise the narrative of 'oh she's pretty and plays dancey music therefore you should hate and ridicule her'. Hell, maybe she is really great. I certainly wouldn't argue with someone putting Madonna on par with Bowie (not that I would); and Madge and loads of other female artists of the modern era owe a ton, in so many ways, to Kate Bush, and I do put Kate on a par with Bowie. So I guess I'm just pleading ignorance about Kylie... :question:
I don't hate or ridicule her she is great at what she does and is an entertainer. Her music just does nothing for me.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 1:56am
muppet hi fi wrote:
I don't hate or ridicule her she is great at what she does and is an entertainer. Her music just does nothing for me.
Oh, no, I didn't mean you at all, Wally. I just meant the usual thing against pop 'divas'. I'm generally not a big fan of the genre (whatever that may be - so many different flavors are often marketed the same way), and some very good if not great tracks have come from cute girls with heavy techno-y backing tracks and company songwriters in recent times, and I'm talking about top 40 radio fare here.
Anyway, I didn't mean to point a finger at you at all, mate (hell, you were one of the first peeps on this board that I saw champion Lorde when she broke big).

Again, I know fuck all about Kylie's music. I may YouTube her if I'm so inclined (after all, she's better than Bowie, right? :mrgreen: ).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 2:30am
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Oh, no, I didn't mean you at all, Wally. I just meant the usual thing against pop 'divas'. I'm generally not a big fan of the genre (whatever that may be - so many different flavors are often marketed the same way), and some very good if not great tracks have come from cute girls with heavy techno-y backing tracks and company songwriters in recent times, and I'm talking about top 40 radio fare here.
Anyway, I didn't mean to point a finger at you at all, mate (hell, you were one of the first peeps on this board that I saw champion Lorde when she broke big).

Again, I know fuck all about Kylie's music. I may YouTube her if I'm so inclined (after all, she's better than Bowie, right? :mrgreen: ).
All good mate.
Kylie's music has hardly changed since day 1 aside from a few remixes and how much real involvement has she had in any of her songs?Even as pop music goes nothing Kylie has done comes close to Like A Prayer.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 4:00am
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

All good mate.
Kylie's music has hardly changed since day 1 aside from a few remixes and how much real involvement has she had in any of her songs?Even as pop music goes nothing Kylie has done comes close to Like A Prayer.
Like A Prayer is so great.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
11 Jan 2017, 8:52pm
No, it's just my friend CH being a contrarian jerk. :) Kylie is also a gay icon, so there's a special place in his heart for her.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

All good mate.
That's totally not true. I'm not going to defend her music as being essential or anything, but that's a false statement. The changes in production techniques across the board in the industry alone...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

All good mate.
That's totally not true. I'm not going to defend her music as being essential or anything, but that's a false statement. The changes in production techniques across the board in the industry alone...
Fair point but that is nothing to do with Kylie or the songs themselves.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

All good mate.
I think when the music is almost entirely synthetic, it has a lot to do with the songs themselves. You'd be hard pressed to prove to me that a Stock, Aitken, and Waterman-produced song sounds like a Pharrell-produced song.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2017, 5:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

All good mate.
I think when the music is almost entirely synthetic, it has a lot to do with the songs themselves. You'd be hard pressed to prove to me that a Stock, Aitken, and Waterman-produced song sounds like a Pharrell-produced song.
Are those the guys from Yes?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy