The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by coffeepotman »

Exception being Tin Machine, which I think were pretty great as long as Hunt didn't have the microphone. For a star (and ego) as big as David to give up control and just be in the band is pretty incredible.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 11:39am
Exception being Tin Machine, which I think were pretty great as long as Hunt didn't have the microphone. For a star (and ego) as big as David to give up control and just be in the band is pretty incredible.
Yeah. I didn't want to over complicate my statement, but Tin Machine are fine. They get weirdly attacked as a low point for Bowie, when they were far better than the two albums before and the one immediately following them.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 6:13pm
coffeepotman wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 11:39am
Yeah. I didn't want to over complicate my statement, but Tin Machine are fine. They get weirdly attacked as a low point for Bowie, when they were far better than the two albums before and the one immediately following them.
And bad Bowie is still better than the best of most others out there.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I think Tin Machine upset mostly Davids "newer" fans, mostly 80's people who thought Lets Dance was the greatest thing they ever heard...we knew better remembering a time when Mick Ronson RULED that stage and was the original guitar god! He meant more to me that Hendrix,Clapton, and Beck put together.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

can't take credit for this, someone on the internet said "Tell my wi-fi love her very much..."
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 8:16pm
can't take credit for this, someone on the internet said "Tell my wi-fi love her very much..."
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 8:16pm
It knows.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I think I once again have everything on this, but it still looks like a great set. The only tracks that would probably be an upgrade for me are the Baal songs; I only have an MP3 rip of those. But to be honest, they're not something I go back to often.

But, if I had the disposable income, I'd probably buy it anyway.

The next set will be interesting, since the actual albums will be dire, but a disc of all the random soundtrack songs he did during that period would probably be pretty entertaining, if all over the map.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

There's a remix of The Lodger, might be interesting...I really like that album

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 9:36pm
I think I once again have everything on this, but it still looks like a great set. The only tracks that would probably be an upgrade for me are the Baal songs; I only have an MP3 rip of those. But to be honest, they're not something I go back to often.

The next set will be interesting, since the actual albums will be dire, but a disc of all the random soundtrack songs he did during that period would probably be pretty entertaining, if all over the map.
I like "Let's Dance" but fuck it's unreal that it followed (albeit 3 years later) "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)" it feels like there should be a 10 year gap betwwen those albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 10:23am
Wolter wrote:

I like "Let's Dance" but fuck it's unreal that it followed (albeit 3 years later) "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)" it feels like there should be a 10 year gap betwwen those albums.
It goes to show how much Nile Rodgers probably had to do with that album. Another large shift, from glam rock to art rock, had some funk and soul to bridge the gap and show a more natural progression.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

It goes to show how much Nile Rodgers probably had to do with that album. Another large shift, from glam rock to art rock, had some funk and soul to bridge the gap and show a more natural progression.
Yeah I think you are right Kory. The shift in style between Diamond Dogs and Young Americans shows how great an artist David was and the feeling that you can change direction and still make great music. "Let's Dance" may not be classic Bowie material but it is great pop music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:37pm
Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Yeah I think you are right Kory. The shift in style between Diamond Dogs and Young Americans shows how great an artist David was and the feeling that you can change direction and still make great music. "Let's Dance" may not be classic Bowie material but it is great pop music.
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 12:46pm
I love Let's Dance. I may be in a minority but I do sometimes classify it as classic Bowie depending on my mood. It's so effective at what it's trying to do, that it seems like such a success.
The whole album, or the song? The latter, for sure. The former, I'd like to hear the argument.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!