So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 12:49pm
Subway Sect are really one of the only mid-tier old school punk bands I never explored much of. Any recommendations for a good intro?
I've got a short collection of what I think might be part of the shelved debut album, given to me by Marky (is that right Marky? It's early demos at least), I can put that up for you when I get home tonight if you'd like. They were always a myth to me, aside from the Ambition single—I read all about them in punk history books but couldn't hear anything at the time.
Correct mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 12:49pm
Subway Sect are really one of the only mid-tier old school punk bands I never explored much of. Any recommendations for a good intro?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h7codoe4s ... t.zip/file
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Thanks all for the subway sect hookups - I still don't have my primary computer setup going (left my laptop and preferred headphones at the in-laws house, whoops! and the loaner I'm using doesn't really have a good setup for listening to music) but I'll get crackin' once I get my hardware back.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 1:40pm
Thanks all for the subway sect hookups - I still don't have my primary computer setup going (left my laptop and preferred headphones at the in-laws house, whoops! and the loaner I'm using doesn't really have a good setup for listening to music) but I'll get crackin' once I get my hardware back.
Sounds like a good ambition
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 5:02pm
Flex wrote:
This is about as ambitious as I get baby
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 5:02pm
Flex wrote:
This is about as ambitious as I get baby
Sounds more like a double negative to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Elvis Costello 11/2 Piedmont Hall Greensboro, NC. This show was more rocking that I anticipated. A selective set - 4 songs from Trust (Clubland, Strict Time, Lover's Walk, Watch Your Step- great by me as that's a terrific album) plus stuff from Armed Forces, Get Happy, This Year's Model, and My Aim is True plus No Hiding Place from Momofuku (another personal favorite and a real surprise). Only 1 song from the new album, Burnt Sugar is so Bitter, and that got some muscle in the execution. Closing triad of Pump It Up/Heart of the City (another pleasant surprise)/What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding followed by Alison. A bit short (1:45) as I think he was displeased as the venue is small and was downgraded from an amphitheater next door. He seemed to have fun and was good with the crowd - all in all, a fun evening with some great songs - mostly early Elvis - as I said earlier it was a kind of greatest hits but not all the songs you would expect.

I'd post a picture (I actually took one despite my dislike of phones at concerts) but I don't know how to post the file.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:11am
Hello,

Elvis Costello 11/2 Piedmont Hall Greensboro, NC. This show was more rocking that I anticipated. A selective set - 4 songs from Trust (Clubland, Strict Time, Lover's Walk, Watch Your Step- great by me as that's a terrific album) plus stuff from Armed Forces, Get Happy, This Year's Model, and My Aim is True plus No Hiding Place from Momofuku (another personal favorite and a real surprise). Only 1 song from the new album, Burnt Sugar is so Bitter, and that got some muscle in the execution. Closing triad of Pump It Up/Heart of the City (another pleasant surprise)/What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding followed by Alison. A bit short (1:45) as I think he was displeased as the venue is small and was downgraded from an amphitheater next door. He seemed to have fun and was good with the crowd - all in all, a fun evening with some great songs - mostly early Elvis - as I said earlier it was a kind of greatest hits but not all the songs you would expect.

I'd post a picture (I actually took one despite my dislike of phones at concerts) but I don't know how to post the file.
Sounds like a quality evening.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 3:00am
gkbill wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:11am
Hello,

Sounds like a quality evening.
Yeah nice one gk. Plus great to hear EC is doing well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

going to Bow House tonight. i hope they play that song I like "Lon Chaney Jr's in the Hospital"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 9:35pm
going to Bow House tonight. i hope they play that song I like "Lon Chaney Jr's in the Hospital"
A friend of mine knew a guy in a band who had a song called "Bela Lugosi's Drunk." Ever since he told me that, I don't hear the "dead" part in the song.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Spiff wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 4:18pm
Peter Hook & The Light are coming back to Minneapolis in early November, less than a year after their last visit.

I loved their previous show and I'm going to see them again.

Woo hoo!
I'm glad I went, though the show was somewhat disappointing.

The venue had sound problems, which is rare for First Avenue.

Hooky's voice was mixed too low, as was sound from the lead guitarist.

And there were times when the band was a little bit off rhythmically.

But, of course, I loved their closing song, "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:04am
Spiff wrote:
Peter Hook & The Light are coming back to Minneapolis in early November, less than a year after their last visit.

Woo hoo!

How was PH's mood? One thing that has always seemed apparent in listening to his shows is that he truly loves playing Joy Division songs, more so than New Order. It doesn't seem rote with him.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:07am
Spiff wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 11:04am
Spiff wrote:

Woo hoo!

How was PH's mood? One thing that has always seemed apparent in listening to his shows is that he truly loves playing Joy Division songs, more so than New Order. It doesn't seem rote with him.
He was in a good mood, and cracked a few good jokes between songs.

He was a little bit chattier last year, though.

The funniest thing he said was before playing "World In Motion" (which I thought I'd never hear played live) when he said he didn't care what the crowd might think about the song, he was going to play it because "I think it's a fucking brilliant song."

And I agree with you about your observation on his enthusiasm for Joy Division songs.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 1:27pm
The funniest thing he said was before playing "World In Motion" (which I thought I'd never hear played live) when he said he didn't care what the crowd might think about the song, he was going to play it because "I think it's a fucking brilliant song."
Oh god, he's also got brain rickets over that song. It'd be as if Joe never shut up about "Dictator."