So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by laxman »

1ED998B3-2B10-40A7-A2B0-397848197B1E.jpeg
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 10:40am
laxman wrote:
01 Dec 2018, 9:48am
On my way to Blackpool to meet up with Deny for TGTBATQ. He tells me our room has a double bed. :scared:
Enjoy mate have a good one. A bit of free advice make Deny sleep under the bed. ;)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hootie and the Blowish are touring with Barenaked Ladies this summer. Everyone here is going to their local tour stop, right?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 11:16am
Hootie and the Blowish are touring with Barenaked Ladies this summer. Everyone here is going to their local tour stop, right?
Only to photograph those in attendance to shame them publicly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 11:16am
The nightmare tour.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Peter Murphy tossed from own show after throwing glasses and bottles at crowd

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/ ... GYR_eXt1UQ
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 6:13pm

He's got a rep for being a bit of a dickhead, so, yeah.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 10:44am
tepista wrote:

*snort* I emailed a buddy of mine who's a big Love & Rockets/David J fan about it. His reply:
Oh man, this is the best. Saw it earlier today. Poor, long-suffering David J., stuck on this tour with a complete lunatic. I've lost track of how many times that Bauhaus seems to have entered irreconcilable-differences territory, yet they always end up back together in one form or another. The last time I saw Bauhaus, in 2006, was when they were on their way to the most recent breakup. It's the only time I've ever felt genuinely uncomfortable at a concert, it seemed like the band might start physically fighting at any moment. I'd already decided not to bother with this Murphy/David J. tour, but if the other half of the band comes nearby (as "Poptone") I'd go see them in a minute. Daniel Ash is a diva just like Peter, but at least he's not crazy.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Saw Slim Cessna's Auto Club in Denver last night at The Globe BBQ. Epic performance from SCAC, as one would expect. Really these guys are one of the best touring acts on the circuit. They really slayed their newer material this year (I think the last two times I saw them the new material still felt like it as getting worked out onstage) and a technical issue with Munly's banjo led Slim to do an impromptu rendition of the amazing United Brethren, which I'm pretty sure I've never seen them play live before. Slim likes to get down in the crowd and I was singing into the mic with him on Americadio and he recognized me and gave me a shout out for being in the audience when he was back on stage. That really, really pleased me mightily.

Opening acts were a drone country band called Midwife, which featured what I assume was a mother and 13ish year old son on guitar. Really cool stuff. Then DBUK - The Auto Club's gothier alter ego - performed as they have a new record coming out early next year. I enjoy DBUK, although I admit that an opening act-length set is probably just about the right amount of their tunes I need in my life at a given time. That said, two of my favorite Cessnaverse songs came out of DBUK and they closed their set with them and they fuckin' ruled: Uncle John's Boat (which SCAC also play, but it was a DBUK song first some years back in the first early iteration of DBUK) and The Red Cross Is Giving Out Misinformation (which, obviously, is an amazing title for a song).

First time at the The Globe, but definitely won't be the last. The Globe is in the last truly dodgy section of Denver - Globe shows let out after 2am and you definitely don't want to be walking around that area after a show - I actually know the neighborhood there because I've done some volunteer work with a little garden operation that acts as a local food co-op for the area since that part of Denver is otherwise a food desert. Rich history in the neighborhood, and some great people that live there, but the interstates came in and completely destroyed the connectivity of the neighborhood. Coupled with always been a poorer and more ethnic area of Denver, it never received much attention from local government and now the small Globeville commercial block is all shuttered save for the music venue and one nearby (also cool) bar. Lots of condemned buildings and a planned interstate expansion project will probably destroy even more of the community, sadly. The adjacent RiNo industrial district is in the process of gentrifying as an arts neighborhood, so maybe Globeville will start seeing some more action in the coming years, but who knows.

All that said, the Globe is one of Denver's last great dives to see a show at. They get good names like the Supersuckers and such too, so I'll for sure be going back.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I am astonished at how much Denver has been gentrified over the years. I'm glad I grew up there, but i don't think I would want to live there now. Not that I could afford to.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:23pm
I am astonished at how much Denver has been gentrified over the years. I'm glad I grew up there, but i don't think I would want to live there now. Not that I could afford to.
I mean, it's the classic problem: there's lots and lots more cool stuff to do but it's been at a massive expense of people being pushed out. Denver seems a ton more vibrant in the arts, food, music, etc. than even when I was growing up but it's more inaccessible to live in than ever.

Still, let it not distract from the point that everyone should go see SCAC and tell him that you're friends with the Mayor of Dillon because he will know who the fuck that is.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:27pm
JennyB wrote:
I mean, it's the classic problem: there's lots and lots more cool stuff to do but it's been at a massive expense of people being pushed out. Denver seems a ton more vibrant in the arts, food, music, etc. than even when I was growing up but it's more inaccessible to live in than ever.

Still, let it not distract from the point that everyone should go see SCAC and tell him that you're friends with the Mayor of Dillon because he will know who the fuck that is.
Ha! I would love to, but they ain't coming to the Jortsville!

I'm going to see Mitski in April. Very excited for that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:27pm
JennyB wrote:

Tell them to go to Vermont and I'll go see them.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 9:55pm
Saw Slim Cessna's Auto Club in Denver last night at The Globe BBQ. Epic performance from SCAC, as one would expect. Really these guys are one of the best touring acts on the circuit. They really slayed their newer material this year (I think the last two times I saw them the new material still felt like it as getting worked out onstage) and a technical issue with Munly's banjo led Slim to do an impromptu rendition of the amazing United Brethren, which I'm pretty sure I've never seen them play live before. Slim likes to get down in the crowd and I was singing into the mic with him on Americadio and he recognized me and gave me a shout out for being in the audience when he was back on stage. That really, really pleased me mightily.

Opening acts were a drone country band called Midwife, which featured what I assume was a mother and 13ish year old son on guitar. Really cool stuff. Then DBUK - The Auto Club's gothier alter ego - performed as they have a new record coming out early next year. I enjoy DBUK, although I admit that an opening act-length set is probably just about the right amount of their tunes I need in my life at a given time. That said, two of my favorite Cessnaverse songs came out of DBUK and they closed their set with them and they fuckin' ruled: Uncle John's Boat (which SCAC also play, but it was a DBUK song first some years back in the first early iteration of DBUK) and The Red Cross Is Giving Out Misinformation (which, obviously, is an amazing title for a song).

First time at the The Globe, but definitely won't be the last. The Globe is in the last truly dodgy section of Denver - Globe shows let out after 2am and you definitely don't want to be walking around that area after a show - I actually know the neighborhood there because I've done some volunteer work with a little garden operation that acts as a local food co-op for the area since that part of Denver is otherwise a food desert. Rich history in the neighborhood, and some great people that live there, but the interstates came in and completely destroyed the connectivity of the neighborhood. Coupled with always been a poorer and more ethnic area of Denver, it never received much attention from local government and now the small Globeville commercial block is all shuttered save for the music venue and one nearby (also cool) bar. Lots of condemned buildings and a planned interstate expansion project will probably destroy even more of the community, sadly. The adjacent RiNo industrial district is in the process of gentrifying as an arts neighborhood, so maybe Globeville will start seeing some more action in the coming years, but who knows.

All that said, the Globe is one of Denver's last great dives to see a show at. They get good names like the Supersuckers and such too, so I'll for sure be going back.
Hello,

Gang of Four at the Globe 2/11.

Flex

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 2:22pm
Hello,

Gang of Four at the Globe 2/11.
Yeah, I saw that (Supersuckers coming in a day or two as well, but I have to miss that one). Anyone seen the current iteration of Go4? The new studio material has been pretty uninspiring, but I've never seen the band so I'm still intrigued...

Pex Lives!