So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:22pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:03pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 2:50pm

So, just Alphaville and Trixter and your bucket list is complete.
It's rare that somebody can name a band I've never heard of.
Meaning I wasn't obscure enough or I was?
You were too obscure twice.
You've probably heard Alphaville's "Forever Young" before. It's usually the worst song on some New Wave Hits of the 80s compilation. Trixter was generic shitty hair metal. But I did check to make sure they're both still touring operations because my generation possesses the worst nostalgia imaginable.
I'll check it out during my weekly Youtube music Friday fun.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

You've probably heard Alphaville's "Forever Young" before. It's usually the worst song on some New Wave Hits of the 80s compilation. Trixter was generic shitty hair metal. But I did check to make sure they're both still touring operations because my generation possesses the worst nostalgia imaginable.
You're welcome.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You're welcome.
That remains to be seen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

You're welcome.
That remains to be seen.
Oh, you'll be welcome or I'll put on my rings and make you welcome.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 2:50pm

So, just Alphaville and Trixter and your bucket list is complete.
It really is an atrocious song. I would love "Big in Japan" if it weren't for the useless and rather racist gong at the end.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I posted elsewhere but here's probably more appropriate. UB40 is playing Friday with Steel Pulse. Has anyone seen either recently? I think Steel Pulse would be very good - UB40 would be a little more suspect.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:36am
Hello,

I posted elsewhere but here's probably more appropriate. UB40 is playing Friday with Steel Pulse. Has anyone seen either recently? I think Steel Pulse would be very good - UB40 would be a little more suspect.
I've seen Steel Pulse a couple times in the last 10 years. Not really any original members left, but still a good show. They leaned very heavily on True Democracy.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I think we're going to see the Brian Wilson/Zombies show in a few weeks. I originally had a conflict on that date - but things have changed and decent tickets are still available. Plus - just got an email that if I buy today they're 40% off!!

I've seen Brian many times and I've seen great shows and not so great shows - but I always feel like I should go because he's not going to be around forever and the idea of seeing him play stuff from the 1968-71 period with Al and Blondie sounds really cool.

Zombies would be an added bonus. Odessey and Oracle is one of my fave albums from that time period. I'm pretty sure it's the 4 surviving members of the classic lineup (Argent, Blunstone, White, Grundy) alongside the current touring version of the band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 12:42pm
I think we're going to see the Brian Wilson/Zombies show in a few weeks. I originally had a conflict on that date - but things have changed and decent tickets are still available. Plus - just got an email that if I buy today they're 40% off!!

I've seen Brian many times and I've seen great shows and not so great shows - but I always feel like I should go because he's not going to be around forever and the idea of seeing him play stuff from the 1968-71 period with Al and Blondie sounds really cool.

Zombies would be an added bonus. Odessey and Oracle is one of my fave albums from that time period. I'm pretty sure it's the 4 surviving members of the classic lineup (Argent, Blunstone, White, Grundy) alongside the current touring version of the band.
Nice. Maybe I should have held out for discounted tickets. :shifty:

I'm going next Friday, I'll be sure to report back. I've read (same places as you, no doubt) mixed reviews so far, but what the hell.

Just snatched up a ticket to see Bob Dylan in October, his Europe setlist was tasty as hell (and he's dropped the Sinatra tunes) so I'm hoping he keeps it for the US tour. It'll be at the new Mission Ballroom in Denver, which is the best new venue in the area to see music outside of Red Rocks. Should be a killer show.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 12:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm going next Friday, I'll be sure to report back. I've read (same places as you, no doubt) mixed reviews so far, but what the hell.

Just snatched up a ticket to see Bob Dylan in October, his Europe setlist was tasty as hell (and he's dropped the Sinatra tunes) so I'm hoping he keeps it for the US tour. It'll be at the new Mission Ballroom in Denver, which is the best new venue in the area to see music outside of Red Rocks. Should be a killer show.
I think you're going to the show right before the Milwaukee show on the 22nd.

Dylan is also coming to Milwaukee on 10/26 - but we're going to be out of town. Ugh. I also saw some of the European setlists and they indeed look great.

Honestly, I might be more psyched to see the Zombies. OaO is such a fantastic album and I'm really curious to see/hear how they bring it to life.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The Wedding Present on Monday. Quite curious about this one.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 12:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:

We bought tickets last night and I'm getting pretty psyched. I looked at a setlist from a recent show in LA and was hoping for more songs from the 68-72 period - but still looks solid. I also watched a clip of the Zombies on Fallon and they sounded pretty danged good.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 10:54am
We bought tickets last night and I'm getting pretty psyched. I looked at a setlist from a recent show in LA and was hoping for more songs from the 68-72 period - but still looks solid. I also watched a clip of the Zombies on Fallon and they sounded pretty danged good.
Yeah, all the reports I've heard are that the Zombies putting on a tremendous show. Really stoked to see them - that's what clinched the ticket for me originally, given that I've never seen 'em and they're doing O&O.

Agreed on the Brian set - the first few shows in the tour had a few more 68/72 tunes, including Til I Die which I've never seen him perform in concert iirc, but still some great deep cuts including stuff he and the BBs have never toured before, so should be cool.

I've been spinning Friends, Surf's Up, and O&O as much as possible as Casa de Flex and it's damn fine stuff.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Finally saw/seeing some shows this year:
Bon Iver last night at the Chase Center (new Warriors stadium) - I was surprised they could fill this venue. We had decent seats, but the lighting made it hard to see the stage, so I ended up watching the screens a lot. The band sounds amazing and they all sing like motherfuckers. There were a couple personal favs that they didn't play which was a minor bummer.

Coming up Sheer Mag, Titus (9th time seeing them), and White Reaper, all separate shows, to get my garage rock fix.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.