So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 3:44pm
How far would any of you travel to see one of your favorite bands of all time, who you've never seen live, who are now defunct but are playing a one-off charity show?
Within the continent, I'd say. Tho push comes to shove I'd talk myself out of spending the money.
Even if it were a once in a lifetime kind of thing?

Like, say Bruce was reuniting with Wire for one show only or something.
I really really really hate travelling, which has grown worse as I age. Not exactly homesickness, but when my routines are disrupted, it messes with my well-being. We have to back to Saskatchewan for a week this summer and I'm already feeling anxious about it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:45pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
How far would any of you travel to see one of your favorite bands of all time, who you've never seen live, who are now defunct but are playing a one-off charity show?
Within the continent, I'd say. Tho push comes to shove I'd talk myself out of spending the money.

I really really really hate travelling, which has grown worse as I age. Not exactly homesickness, but when my routines are disrupted, it messes with my well-being. We have to back to Saskatchewan for a week this summer and I'm already feeling anxious about it.
Damn that must be age thing because I'm exactly the same. I would've gone anywhere when I was younger at any distance. The problem now is that the band you are going to see are not the band you wished you had seen in their heyday. So although they may still be great it can simply never be the same.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 6:21pm
I would've gone anywhere when I was younger at any distance. The problem now is that the band you are going to see are not the band you wished you had seen in their heyday. So although they may still be great it can simply never be the same.
With your gig record, pretty much nothing can match who you saw 35–40 years ago. You asshole.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Damn that must be age thing because I'm exactly the same. I would've gone anywhere when I was younger at any distance. The problem now is that the band you are going to see are not the band you wished you had seen in their heyday. So although they may still be great it can simply never be the same.
Well, this isn't really a band that had a heyday, they are a fairly obscure jazz-funk band. They're all in their late 40s by now I think, but in the world of jazz, you often get better as you age.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I would've gone anywhere when I was younger at any distance. The problem now is that the band you are going to see are not the band you wished you had seen in their heyday. So although they may still be great it can simply never be the same.
With your gig record, pretty much nothing can match who you saw 35–40 years ago. You asshole.
You tell 'im!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh so that wasn't you hiding in the corner at the Electric Ballroom in 1980? ;) :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 6:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, this isn't really a band that had a heyday, they are a fairly obscure jazz-funk band. They're all in their late 40s by now I think, but in the world of jazz, you often get better as you age.
I say that you are still young and you obviously care a lot for their music. So if you can afford it then go for it. My point being at your age I would've gone without a doubt.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh so that wasn't you hiding in the corner at the Electric Ballroom in 1980? ;) :approve:
Yeah, I was in Mrs. Kelleher's grade five class that day, kicking ass at math and getting my ass kicked over penmanship.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 6:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, I was in Mrs. Kelleher's grade five class that day, kicking ass at math and getting my ass kicked over penmanship.
Ok I'll wave my pink flag at you and call a truce.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
Good question as Im considering trying to go to the MC5 show that I previously posted about. The are scheduled to play Montreal so thats the easiest/closest.

What I can say is I have a fairly long list of regrets of not going to shows in the past because they were kind of far or it was seemingly inconvenient somehow and now the chances of seeing some of them are impossible (Joe) to very unlikely (the Pogues). The I can alwsys see them next time is a trap Ive fallen into way too many times.

The travel itself doesn't bother me it has been a big part of my work life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 7:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
That song is so fucking good. That is, their rehabilitation of it in the early 21st c. It's one of a few songs that I can point to to ask if a person "gets" Wire.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 7:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 7:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That song is so fucking good. That is, their rehabilitation of it in the early 21st c. It's one of a few songs that I can point to to ask if a person "gets" Wire.
I like this : Newman said that "Pink Flag" was "Johnny B. Goode" with "no chords in it."

Julian Cope's review of Pink Flag is great.
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/th ... -pink-flag

Something struck me the other day while playing through those first three albums is that they don't seem to age/date.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 8:16pm
I like this : Newman said that "Pink Flag" was "Johnny B. Goode" with "no chords in it."
When I first read that, it changed how I heard the song. Suddenly, yeah, I could hear exactly what he meant.
Something struck me the other day while playing through those first three albums is that they don't seem to age/date.
Especially compared to the Mute albums. But, yeah, there's a constant fresh energy to those EMI discs. Spirit of the times, the novice's fertile imagination.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Peter Hook and the Light is coming to town in early May.

I'm a big New Order and Joy Division fan ... but I'm torn about seeing this show.

Anyone seen him in this new incarnation, and if so, how was the gig?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I can't think of any bands that I would do that for right now, but let's say, in 10 years or so, Alan Wilder decided to join DM again, I would travel as far as possible to see them. Or, let's say Joe didn't actually die and the Clash reuinited, I would travel to the ends of the earth.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy