So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Fun show.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:56pm
Fun show.

Nice one Gil.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 5:33pm
white man wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 5:14am
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 7:20am
white man wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 6:59am
Wilko Johnson last night. He didn't look well and done abou 65mins.
Norman was superb as usual

Two absolute legends. Wilko is amazing just to stay going, really want to see him one more time while it's possible. Even a sub par Wilko is alright by me.
Cancelled Manchester last night. Unwell. If he gets back on his feet I would make every effort to get out and see him.
Yeah, might have to plan a trip soon as don't see him heading my way anytime in the near future. Just hope it's not a relapse or anything so serious.
Hope you managed to catch him mate
R. I. P. Wilko

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 6:15am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:56pm
Fun show.

Nice one Gil.😎
Cheers. :cool:

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Hugh Cornwell last night was brilliant and he played in a very small club the size of a pub. I think the audience must have been between 60-80 people so really close and personal. He was really on form and sounded brilliant. He played all the songs i wanted to hear off the promoted album and a good chunk off his back catalog as a solo artist even Nosferatu got a playing. The only two stranglers songs i hadn't heard played before when he was in the band were both instrumentals and thats waltzinblack and Turn The Centuries Turn. It was fascinating and for anyone who is familiar with those two songs will realise how difficult it must be to do renditions of those two when you are just a Bass , Guitar and drums outfit. Its Hugh being typical genius and experimental and happy to face a challenge. Both songs sounded brilliant
A great Stranglers set was played and very enjoyable indeed.

Hugh dedicated a song to Wilko last night and it got a big cheer

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 9:35am
Hugh Cornwell last night was brilliant and he played in a very small club the size of a pub. I think the audience must have been between 60-80 people so really close and personal. He was really on form and sounded brilliant. He played all the songs i wanted to hear off the promoted album and a good chunk off his back catalog as a solo artist even Nosferatu got a playing. The only two stranglers songs i hadn't heard played before when he was in the band were both instrumentals and thats waltzinblack and Turn The Centuries Turn. It was fascinating and for anyone who is familiar with those two songs will realise how difficult it must be to do renditions of those two when you are just a Bass , Guitar and drums outfit. Its Hugh being typical genius and experimental and happy to face a challenge. Both songs sounded brilliant

Sounds excellent mate. Looking forward to the new album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 5:51pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Sounds excellent mate. Looking forward to the new album.
Definitely worth a listen mate there are some outstanding tracks but then I have really got in to his cryptic lyrics and quirky songs lately

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dinosaur Jr. was great tonight.
Attachments
CFA0346E-C831-4531-A941-5284434CECAD.jpeg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Tree ?

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

NoMoreHugh wrote:

Saw Hugh and band the other night, small front room venue. Great performance, good to hear a snapshot of his solo work and then a set of Stranglers songs, mostly first album. Must admit he seemed a bit distant, I wonder if he'd heard about Jet's passing the night before but wasn't letting on, or end of the tour ennui/tiredness.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Ended up catching six shows this year which is a nice post-COVID bounce back:
  • March 2: Twin Shadow
    March 16: KennyHoopla
    August 2: Camp Cope
    September 27: Sudan Archives
    October 21: Carly Rae Jepsen
    December 7: Bartees Strange.
I had tickets to see Sincere Engineer, but had to skip due to a COVID spike. All shows were really great and a reminder how much I enjoy live music.

Here’s a pic from Bartees the other night:
Attachments
410CB730-BCD6-4DFB-87DB-BE32EBDAA4F6.jpeg
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 11:56am
I'd have liked to see CRP but I've pretty much sworn off arena shows no matter who it is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 1:38pm
matedog wrote:
I'd have liked to see CRP but I've pretty much sworn off arena shows no matter who it is.
She played The Greek theater in Berkeley which is a smaller open air, no reserved seating venue. Tends to inspire a more fun crowd.

Understood though. Biggest i've done was Taylor Swift and Beyonce at Levi's Stadium (separate shows). Stadium gigs were obviously massive, but they had a really high level of theatricality that made it not so bad. Seeing someone like Pearl Jam in a stadium would be pretty dreadful (not sure they play stadiums).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 1:57pm
Kory wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 1:38pm
matedog wrote:
She played The Greek theater in Berkeley which is a smaller open air, no reserved seating venue. Tends to inspire a more fun crowd.

Understood though. Biggest i've done was Taylor Swift and Beyonce at Levi's Stadium (separate shows). Stadium gigs were obviously massive, but they had a really high level of theatricality that made it not so bad. Seeing someone like Pearl Jam in a stadium would be pretty dreadful (not sure they play stadiums).
They played at our baseball stadium here not too long ago. I think the only one I'd break my rule for would be Kylie.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 11:03am
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Saw Hugh and band the other night, small front room venue. Great performance, good to hear a snapshot of his solo work and then a set of Stranglers songs, mostly first album. Must admit he seemed a bit distant, I wonder if he'd heard about Jet's passing the night before but wasn't letting on, or end of the tour ennui/tiredness.
Great stuff I'm really pleased you enjoyed it sounds like my experience was similar to yours.Hugh's work is a very slow build up for appreciation i found but once you are hooked its really addictive and i like its quirkiness and the lyrics really work. I was just glad he didn't try and just be the stranglers but solo.
Now Hugh does seem more distant with the audience than when he was in the stranglers he was famous for ripping audiences apart with his sarcasm wit and banter. I find it hard to understand why he didn't mention Jet's sad demise he would definitely heard about it. I actually think its because he was affected by it and didn't want it to effect the gig i could imagine it was too early to mention it and didn't want to choke over the mic. Jet and Hugh were very close when they were in the band together

For fun if you can watch with out getting bored here is a example of his banter he would always do at all the gigs (i recognise a few that i was at). I think all these recordings are from the Aural sculpture tour