So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 7:18am
Last night I saw Vic Godard & The Subway Sect supported by the Distractions. In a room in a pub in Salford about the size of my kitchen! Great night, Vic and the boys were in great spirits, played a few new songs from a shortly to be released Mick Jones-produced album which sounded great, one was probably the best of the night, eclipsed even Ambition, Stool Pigeon and Double Negative. Well worth seeing. Heston, they are playing the Cumberland Arms in Newcastle in early December, in case you are interested.
Sounds brilliant mate. Really looking forward to hearing the album

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Subway Sect are really one of the only mid-tier old school punk bands I never explored much of. Any recommendations for a good intro?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 12:49pm
Subway Sect are really one of the only mid-tier old school punk bands I never explored much of. Any recommendations for a good intro?
I think you might want to try the Vic & Sect singles comp. There are better more comprehensive comps but some of the older Sect albums are very pricey.

Or the best one available now is called "30 plus years" available on Amazon or Vics website. I can't share at the moment sadly. But I'm sure Laxman can sort a brother right.
Attachments
R-1316541-1398374469-1822.jpeg.jpg
R-1316541-1398374469-1822.jpeg.jpg (8.52 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
Last night I saw Vic Godard & The Subway Sect supported by the Distractions. In a room in a pub in Salford about the size of my kitchen! Great night, Vic and the boys were in great spirits, played a few new songs from a shortly to be released Mick Jones-produced album which sounded great, one was probably the best of the night, eclipsed even Ambition, Stool Pigeon and Double Negative. Well worth seeing. Heston, they are playing the Cumberland Arms in Newcastle in early December, in case you are interested.
Bloody hell, I've played in the Cumberland Arms before, it is probably smaller than your kitchen as well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 3:07pm
laxman wrote:
Bloody hell, I've played in the Cumberland Arms before, it is probably smaller than your kitchen as well.
I saw him just before last Christmas and it was a small pub venue in Manchester then as well. There were two support bands and I think the total band members for the three combined outnumbered the paying punters! He seems to enjoy it though.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 1:00pm
Flex wrote:
I think you might want to try the Vic & Sect singles comp. There are better more comprehensive comps but some of the older Sect albums are very pricey.

Or the best one available now is called "30 plus years" available on Amazon or Vics website. I can't share at the moment sadly. But I'm sure Laxman can sort a brother right.
http://www.vicgodard.co.uk/

Website definitely worth a perusal. Some audio on there.

On Band camp too. https://gnuinc.bandcamp.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Obviously not music but I'm going to see Nick Offerman tonight. Im not sure what to expect though...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 4:35pm
Obviously not music but I'm going to see Nick Offerman tonight. Im not sure what to expect though...
A mix of Skynyrd and Wham!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 5:02pm
revbob wrote:
A hellscape from which I cannot escape?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 5:02pm
revbob wrote:
A hellscape from which I cannot escape?
What do the terms and conditions on the back of your ticket say? You might not be able to leave.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20191026-213104_Gallery.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Screenshot_20191026-213104_Gallery.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And now, here's “Free Bird.”

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
I've got a short collection of what I think might be part of the shelved debut album, given to me by Marky (is that right Marky? It's early demos at least), I can put that up for you when I get home tonight if you'd like. They were always a myth to me, aside from the Ambition single—I read all about them in punk history books but couldn't hear anything at the time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Peter Hook & The Light are coming back to Minneapolis in early November, less than a year after their last visit.

I loved their previous show and I'm going to see them again.

Woo hoo!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Flex wrote:
I've got a short collection of what I think might be part of the shelved debut album, given to me by Marky (is that right Marky? It's early demos at least), I can put that up for you when I get home tonight if you'd like. They were always a myth to me, aside from the Ambition single—I read all about them in punk history books but couldn't hear anything at the time.

This session is a joy (to me at least) and the banter captures the fun this band are having.