So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 6:04pm
I just bought tix for Mott the Hoople at the Orpheum in LA.
I'm fed up of you.

Nice one mate have a great one!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 4:13am
tepista wrote:
I'm fed up of you.

In the past short while, "One of the Boys" has become one of my favorite songs of ever.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 3:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 4:13am
tepista wrote:
I'm fed up of you.

In the past short while, "One of the Boys" has become one of my favorite songs of ever.
Top track tep :approve: .

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
Tep, do you have the 2006 remaster of the 'All the Young Dudes' album? It's got a bunch of bonus tracks including the UK single mix of "One of the Boys", which is superior to the album version - doesn't have the telephone effects or the fade out/in at the end, just rocks straight through. Plus there's a cool demo version.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:36pm
tepista wrote:
Tep, do you have the 2006 remaster of the 'All the Young Dudes' album? It's got a bunch of bonus tracks including the UK single mix of "One of the Boys", which is superior to the album version - doesn't have the telephone effects or the fade out/in at the end, just rocks straight through. Plus there's a cool demo version.
No the telephone thing is my favorite thing in the world.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:50pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
tepista wrote:
Yeah I love it too, just that the mix is toughened up for airplay and...ah, fugetaboutit, it's all good man. ;)

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:53pm
tepista wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
tepista wrote:
Yeah I love it too, just that the mix is toughened up for airplay and...ah, fugetaboutit, it's all good man. ;)
I'll dig it up on the youtube! ;)

I do have a Best of Mott CD, and the version is a radio edit, boo!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:55pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:53pm
tepista wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
tepista wrote:
I'll dig it up on the youtube! ;)

I do have a Best of Mott CD, and the version is a radio edit, boo!
Yeah fuck that chintzy version, proper single mix is 4:20, album version is 6:47. Have you heard any of the Hunter/Ronson versions from '79/'80? Well you gotta, dude.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Saw The Dils on July 20th...great show.

Next up: The Alarm, Modern English, and Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel on Friday.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 1:09am
Next up: The Alarm, Modern English, and Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel on Friday.
All great sets. I highly recommend catching them on this tour. Smiley of Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros is The Alarm’s drummer.

With intro by Gareth “Gaz Top” Jones, who was The Alarm’s roadie in the early to mid ’80s:

Mike Peters joined the crowd here:

With original drummer and San Francisco resident Twist during the encore:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Nothing from the Dils?

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

revbob wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 9:49pm
Nothing from the Dils?
Oh, right. Chip Kinman’s son on drums and Chip’s son’s best friend on bass. Tony Kinman passed away last year.

The entire set:

Also, the War Stories event from the day before w/ Chip, Jane Wiedlin, Peter Case, et al.:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Saw the Stones at Broncos Stadium in Denver last night. Nathaniel Rateliff, who I've seen a few times now, opened. Great performances from both artists, the Stones definitely look like they're having a lot of fun on stage. Song mix was quite good, with the preponderance of tunes coming from that killer 67-73 timeframe. Technically, the latest album represented was Stripped with a cover of Like a Rolling Stone that the band and audience all got a real kick out of. A few long jams like when they played Midnight Rambler, so they weren't just going through the motions. A better set and performance than when I saw them at Desert Trip a few years ago, I reckon. Setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... f9630.html

Downside: I've never been to the stadium for a concert (or anything else) before and the sound mix was absolutely terrible. 3/4 of Rateliff's set was genuinely unlistenable until they made a few fixes and it became tolerable. Really too bad for him since he's so good (and he's a big name, so the audience was into his songs too). The Stones were marginally better but everything was slammed and distorted and the mixing was all off all night (I remember one time the camera panned to the sax player jamming out and you couldn't make the instrument out at all in the sound mix). I've been generally impressed with how good the sound is at arenas, outdoor festivals, etc. throughout my concert going life, but this was probably the worst sounding venue I've ever paid money to be in. Maybe it was better for the super rich down on the field, but us peasants got a lousy job at the mixing board.

Other minor grievances include: apparently in other tour stops the Stones worked with the venues to provide reusable cups that could be returned at the end of the night for a return on deposit. Not here! The stadium was hawking their $11 Broncos plastic cups and apparently didn't agree to do whatever it was the Stones arranged elsewhere. Nice to see the malignant Republican ownership of the NFL franchise blocking even a modest gesture towards reducing waste at the event. I also tried to get a (regular) cup of ice and was told it would cost $5, lol.

And finally, we had a little drama with security. We checked ahead of time for the written policies of what we could bring in and followed the website's instructions, which mirrored NFL policy. When we got there, security told is they were following a more restrictive policy and we had to throw away some stuff we had, take it back to the car (more than a 20 minute walk one way), or pay for a security locker (still a 10 minute walk one way away and a charge) and then go through the security line again. All that would have made us easily miss all of Rateliff and possibly the beginning of the Stones set. It was admittedly frustrating since we'd read all the rules (and I had them with me on my phone to show security!) Ahead of time specifically to do the right thing. It took asking for a supervisor and then manager to finally get someone who helped us stash the (apparently) verboten gear in a corner that we could pick up on the way out. Hate doing the "can we speak to a manager" thing, but that still only took a fraction of the time that leaving and reentering would have (or throwing away, I dunno, $40-$50 worth of umbrellas, binocular cases, random stuff like that). But I was probably more argumentative than I should have been, so I still feel kinda bad.

That said, I doubt the Stones are ever coming back to Colorado, and the quality of their performance was good enough to overcome the lousy venue, so worth it in the end. I'd be hard pressed to ever go see a concert at the Stadium ever again, but in the grand scheme of things the problems will fade and I'm glad for the great live music and a fun night out, so all good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Flex wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 10:14am
Saw the Stones at Broncos Stadium in Denver last night. Nathaniel Rateliff, who I've seen a few times now, opened. Great performances from both artists, the Stones definitely look like they're having a lot of fun on stage. Song mix was quite good, with the preponderance of tunes coming from that killer 67-73 timeframe. Technically, the latest album represented was Stripped with a cover of Like a Rolling Stone that the band and audience all got a real kick out of. A few long jams like when they played Midnight Rambler, so they weren't just going through the motions. A better set and performance than when I saw them at Desert Trip a few years ago, I reckon. Setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... f9630.html

Downside: I've never been to the stadium for a concert (or anything else) before and the sound mix was absolutely terrible. 3/4 of Rateliff's set was genuinely unlistenable until they made a few fixes and it became tolerable. Really too bad for him since he's so good (and he's a big name, so the audience was into his songs too). The Stones were marginally better but everything was slammed and distorted and the mixing was all off all night (I remember one time the camera panned to the sax player jamming out and you couldn't make the instrument out at all in the sound mix). I've been generally impressed with how good the sound is at arenas, outdoor festivals, etc. throughout my concert going life, but this was probably the worst sounding venue I've ever paid money to be in. Maybe it was better for the super rich down on the field, but us peasants got a lousy job at the mixing board.

Other minor grievances include: apparently in other tour stops the Stones worked with the venues to provide reusable cups that could be returned at the end of the night for a return on deposit. Not here! The stadium was hawking their $11 Broncos plastic cups and apparently didn't agree to do whatever it was the Stones arranged elsewhere. Nice to see the malignant Republican ownership of the NFL franchise blocking even a modest gesture towards reducing waste at the event. I also tried to get a (regular) cup of ice and was told it would cost $5, lol.

And finally, we had a little drama with security. We checked ahead of time for the written policies of what we could bring in and followed the website's instructions, which mirrored NFL policy. When we got there, security told is they were following a more restrictive policy and we had to throw away some stuff we had, take it back to the car (more than a 20 minute walk one way), or pay for a security locker (still a 10 minute walk one way away and a charge) and then go through the security line again. All that would have made us easily miss all of Rateliff and possibly the beginning of the Stones set. It was admittedly frustrating since we'd read all the rules (and I had them with me on my phone to show security!) Ahead of time specifically to do the right thing. It took asking for a supervisor and then manager to finally get someone who helped us stash the (apparently) verboten gear in a corner that we could pick up on the way out. Hate doing the "can we speak to a manager" thing, but that still only took a fraction of the time that leaving and reentering would have (or throwing away, I dunno, $40-$50 worth of umbrellas, binocular cases, random stuff like that). But I was probably more argumentative than I should have been, so I still feel kinda bad.

That said, I doubt the Stones are ever coming back to Colorado, and the quality of their performance was good enough to overcome the lousy venue, so worth it in the end. I'd be hard pressed to ever go see a concert at the Stadium ever again, but in the grand scheme of things the problems will fade and I'm glad for the great live music and a fun night out, so all good.
Nice one, Flex. Glad you had a good time, despite the fuckery. I don't go to big shows like that anymore, and you've enumerated some of the main reasons why.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Great report Flex and I want to kick those corporate bastards in the balls for you.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board