So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dave202 wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 10:15am
I'm going to An Evening With Glen Matlock at a small community hall in Tayport. Although the ticket states that the doors open at 7:30pm, he can't set up his PA until eight, as a pilates class is on!
:lol: It wasn't like this at 100 Club, Glen thinks, not like this at all.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 10:30am
dave202 wrote:
I'm going to An Evening With Glen Matlock at a small community hall in Tayport. Although the ticket states that the doors open at 7:30pm, he can't set up his PA until eight, as a pilates class is on!
:lol: It wasn't like this at 100 Club, Glen thinks, not like this at all.
Cor some of them middle aged birds were fit. Anyway, this is sort of the song Pretty Vacant.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

dave202 wrote:
Interested to know what you think before I invest in tickets?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 3:21pm
dave202 wrote:
Interested to know what you think before I invest in tickets?
I'll let you know. It's a Q&A and song thing, and turns out he's been booked into a hotel in Dundee about five minutes from me. My first question will be, "Any chance of a lift home Glen?" and depending on his answer, this might colour my judgement.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Saw The Alarm last Friday. It was an epic show. Mike Peters is the consummate performer (take that, cancer).

Smiley, who was in JS & The Mescaleros, is the drummer. The band did a bit of “Mag 7” during “The Stand”...

The Alarm’s original drummer Nigel Twist, who lives in SF, joined the band for an incredible finale...

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Reggae on the Rocks was extremely good. Not a bad set all day/night, but here's how I would rank the bands in descending order:

Probably the best show I've seen the 'Tones put on. Dicky Barrett was in absolutely fine spirits and the whole band was in top form. Great setlist too. Played Johnny Too Bad, which I'd never heard them perform before (as well as Rudie Can't Fail, which they usually play, and Simmer Down, which was a new one for me live). A few other Let's Face It era cuts I'd never seen before live (including the exceptionally contemporary title track) and a few others. Great rendition of Dr. D. Totally stole the whole show. I was the only person I saw all day with any 'Tones gear on, and they converted the whole audience by the end of the night. Angelo from Fishbone came up to play sax on Someday I Suppose, which was fucking thrilling. Can't believe I didn't capture it on video (I was actually only 5 rows back all night, I could have recorded the whole damned festival).

Fishbone was a blast. Had seen 'em once before like 10+ years ago. Didn't even realize until the band got up that this was a big reunion tour for 'em, so tons of fun. Angelo also played one or two songs with Judge Roughneck, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Sublime with Rome. So he was busy. He jumped into the crowd and was hugging and high-fiving people towards the end of the set, myself included. So awesome.

Judge Roughneck. These guys are a Denver outfit that have been around for a while. Good mix of second and third wave ska sounds, seasoned enough to put on a good show. They were the openers, so has the difficult task of warming up a filtering-in crowd in the mid-afternoon in 90+ degree heat. But they kept it lively and ripped through a bunch of fun originals. Did a cover of Mirror in the Bathroom with Angelo, which was great. I've seen these guys in clubs in Denver, and they're a good time. I might see if we can bring them up to Dillon.

Inner Circle. Very unfamiliar with this band outside of the Cops theme song (which they played to close out their set, and it was shockingly awesome). The only really traditional reggae group in the bunch. The lead singer has great pipes and they brought a heavy reggae sound - a little too heavy, I think the mix was a tad off. Enjoyable, I may pick up a Greatest Hits cd of there's if I find one, but I used this set as an opportunity to rehydrate and walk around the venue a little.

Sublime with Rome. I've seen this unit once before in Vail, so the novelty factor wasn't really there for me. They played all the Sublime Greatest Hits, which range from great (What I Got, Doin Time, Scarlet Begonias, etc.) to the juvenile (Garden Grove, Smoke Two Joints, Burritos, etc.) to the "I can't believe they're playing this in 2017" (Date Rape, mostly). Mixed in a few (decent) cuts from their new SwR albums and had Angelo come up for a ripping version of Skankin' to the Beat. Rome still clearly seems to be having a blast playing the music, which is slightly infectious, but doesn't quite do enough to paper over how wrong the whole program feels at a fundamental level. I was with a buddy who knew Sublime's songs more than any other act that night, so I would have felt bad about suggesting we bag it early and catch a few extra hours of sleep. Most amusingly, towards the end of the night Rome kept asking the front row for updates on the Mayweather/McGregor fight, and relaying them to the crowd. That was fun. I guess they were better than when I saw them in Vail, and Red Rocks always brings an act's A game, so it was worthwhile seeing them again. But I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason to see them a third time. Maybe if they promised to play Paddle Out.

As always, Red Rocks is one of the best places to see any band in the world. On a side note, the marijuana smoke didn't get too noticeable until Sublime, and fortunately a breeze kicked in partway through the SwR set so the air cleared up (I'm fairly resilient to these things, but even I was starting to feel my throat and eyes get irritated from the amount of smoke around me).

Everyone I was with agree the Bosstones were the highlight of the night, but it's SwR that draws the crowds, so they get top billing. Oh well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 2:15pm
Reggae on the Rocks was extremely good. Not a bad set all day/night, but here's how I would rank the bands in descending order:

Probably the best show I've seen the 'Tones put on. Dicky Barrett was in absolutely fine spirits and the whole band was in top form. Great setlist too. Played Johnny Too Bad, which I'd never heard them perform before (as well as Rudie Can't Fail, which they usually play, and Simmer Down, which was a new one for me live). A few other Let's Face It era cuts I'd never seen before live (including the exceptionally contemporary title track) and a few others. Great rendition of Dr. D. Totally stole the whole show. I was the only person I saw all day with any 'Tones gear on, and they converted the whole audience by the end of the night. Angelo from Fishbone came up to play sax on Someday I Suppose, which was fucking thrilling. Can't believe I didn't capture it on video (I was actually only 5 rows back all night, I could have recorded the whole damned festival).

Fishbone was a blast. Had seen 'em once before like 10+ years ago. Didn't even realize until the band got up that this was a big reunion tour for 'em, so tons of fun. Angelo also played one or two songs with Judge Roughneck, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Sublime with Rome. So he was busy. He jumped into the crowd and was hugging and high-fiving people towards the end of the set, myself included. So awesome.

Judge Roughneck. These guys are a Denver outfit that have been around for a while. Good mix of second and third wave ska sounds, seasoned enough to put on a good show. They were the openers, so has the difficult task of warming up a filtering-in crowd in the mid-afternoon in 90+ degree heat. But they kept it lively and ripped through a bunch of fun originals. Did a cover of Mirror in the Bathroom with Angelo, which was great. I've seen these guys in clubs in Denver, and they're a good time. I might see if we can bring them up to Dillon.

Inner Circle. Very unfamiliar with this band outside of the Cops theme song (which they played to close out their set, and it was shockingly awesome). The only really traditional reggae group in the bunch. The lead singer has great pipes and they brought a heavy reggae sound - a little too heavy, I think the mix was a tad off. Enjoyable, I may pick up a Greatest Hits cd of there's if I find one, but I used this set as an opportunity to rehydrate and walk around the venue a little.

Sublime with Rome. I've seen this unit once before in Vail, so the novelty factor wasn't really there for me. They played all the Sublime Greatest Hits, which range from great (What I Got, Doin Time, Scarlet Begonias, etc.) to the juvenile (Garden Grove, Smoke Two Joints, Burritos, etc.) to the "I can't believe they're playing this in 2017" (Date Rape, mostly). Mixed in a few (decent) cuts from their new SwR albums and had Angelo come up for a ripping version of Skankin' to the Beat. Rome still clearly seems to be having a blast playing the music, which is slightly infectious, but doesn't quite do enough to paper over how wrong the whole program feels at a fundamental level. I was with a buddy who knew Sublime's songs more than any other act that night, so I would have felt bad about suggesting we bag it early and catch a few extra hours of sleep. Most amusingly, towards the end of the night Rome kept asking the front row for updates on the Mayweather/McGregor fight, and relaying them to the crowd. That was fun. I guess they were better than when I saw them in Vail, and Red Rocks always brings an act's A game, so it was worthwhile seeing them again. But I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason to see them a third time. Maybe if they promised to play Paddle Out.

As always, Red Rocks is one of the best places to see any band in the world. On a side note, the marijuana smoke didn't get too noticeable until Sublime, and fortunately a breeze kicked in partway through the SwR set so the air cleared up (I'm fairly resilient to these things, but even I was starting to feel my throat and eyes get irritated from the amount of smoke around me). "You mean the room was cloudy, cloudy!" ;)

Everyone I was with agree the Bosstones were the highlight of the night, but it's SwR that draws the crowds, so they get top billing. Oh well.
Sounds like you had a blast, nice one mate!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:37am
Saw The Alarm last Friday. It was an epic show. Mike Peters is the consummate performer (take that, cancer).

Smiley, who was in JS & The Mescaleros, is the drummer. The band did a bit of “Mag 7” during “The Stand”...

The Alarm’s original drummer Nigel Twist, who lives in SF, joined the band for an incredible finale...

The Alarm are great and Mike is a diamond geezer.

Cool vids Gil. :approve:
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Aug 2017, 10:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:

of the night, but it's SwR that draws the crowds, so they get top billing. Oh well.
Who is SwR?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 11:18am
Just got tickets for the Kim Deal-less Pixies in October for VH, jr. and myself. I am determined not to let the Jortsville (and his dad) influence his music taste.
I'm to see them on Oct. 7. I'm just going to enjoy this for the cabaret it is. The biggest shame of this never ending reunion is that I liked quite a bit of Francis' solo output with the Catholics which he's simply just booted to the side.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 6:46pm
Who is SwR?
Sublime with Rome

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
It's cool that Fish and Bigham are back, but I'm reluctant to call it a reunion until Chris Dowd is back on board.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 2:28pm
It's cool that Fish and Bigham are back, but I'm reluctant to call it a reunion until Chris Dowd is back on board.
Kibby too. Well, he's been back in the band for a few years now, but he wasn't last time I saw 'em. Your standards for what constitute are higher than mine, I guess.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 2:28pm
Kibby too. Well, he's been back in the band for a few years now, but he wasn't last time I saw 'em. Your standards for what constitute are higher than mine, I guess.
Yeah I was pretty bummed when Kibby left because that just left Angelo and Norwood and a bunch of no-names. The reason I want Dowd back so bad is that he did a fair amount of vocals back then and it sounds weird without him. To me he's the heart of Reality of My Surroundings at the very least.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 9:57pm
revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 6:46pm
Who is SwR?
Sublime with Rome
So Rome is a person in this instance. I know tow tho vs about Sublime.
1) They have an album cover with a tatoo of Sublime on a guys back.
2) There is some stupid Sublime cover band that I see in the club listings around here all the time.

Are they thst good/significant to warrant a cover band? I know none of their songs.