General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: We Built This City On Rock and Roll appreciation thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 10:20am
I heard this at the grocery store last night:

Same LP as We Built This City (I believe).

I found to my dismay that it was kind of catchy in a cheesy 80's way. I also might just have been nostalgic for the simpler times of 1986.
And the disease spread through the community. We really should have listened to eumaas when he advocated burning sufferers of Heston's disease, but it was too late.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:

I found to my dismay that it was kind of catchy in a cheesy 80's way. I also might just have been nostalgic for the simpler times of 1986.
Im afraid of clicking on that link.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 10:52am
WestwayKid wrote:

Unless you need some rage fuel, do not play it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:09am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think it was just some sort of 80's nostalgia. The video is really pretty awful and that shirt Mickey Thomas is wearing?? Yuck.

It is better than We Built This City, which is just an awful, awful song. That doesn't make this song good, just not as awful.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think it was just some sort of 80's nostalgia. The video is really pretty awful and that shirt Mickey Thomas is wearing?? Yuck.

It is better than We Built This City, which is just an awful, awful song. That doesn't make this song good, just not as awful.
I understand your point. There are some undeniably rotten 80s songs that, if I stumble upon them, still provide some weird nostalgic entertainment. It's not enjoyment per se, but a comforting(?) familiarity.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I understand your point. There are some undeniably rotten 80s songs that, if I stumble upon them, still provide some weird nostalgic entertainment. It's not enjoyment per se, but a comforting(?) familiarity.
Wow you can see out of one eye now and you get all soft on me. A regular SRP now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Wow you can see out of one eye now and you get all soft on me. A regular SRP now.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The only Sarah that matters.

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think that is what it is, a comforting familiarity. The 80's have an undeniable appeal to me because that was the decade where I was a kid without too many cares or worries. Those songs were the soundtrack to my days as most of my music consumption was via the radio or MTV. By the end of the decade as I approached my teenaged years I started digging a little deeper into music, but there was still a not unpleasant at the time naivety towards music for me during the mid-80's. Take another pretty awful Starship song, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, for instance. It reminds me of the film Mannequin which reminds me of watching movies with my family on VHS down in our rec room/basement. The song is dreadful, but the memory it conjures up makes me very happy.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Olaf wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 12:13pm
The only Sarah that matters.

Video content not available in my country. Thanks Trump.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 12:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think that is what it is, a comforting familiarity. The 80's have an undeniable appeal to me because that was the decade where I was a kid without too many cares or worries. Those songs were the soundtrack to my days as most of my music consumption was via the radio or MTV. By the end of the decade as I approached my teenaged years I started digging a little deeper into music, but there was still a not unpleasant at the time naivety towards music for me during the mid-80's. Take another pretty awful Starship song, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, for instance. It reminds me of the film Mannequin which reminds me of watching movies with my family on VHS down in our rec room/basement. The song is dreadful, but the memory it conjures up makes me very happy.
My inability to identify with you on this is no doubt a clear indication of some of the things that are wrong with me. Granted I think I have 10 years on you so my "coming of age" or whatever it would be called had other influences. I grew up without cable/mtv/vcr. My musical experience was colored by my older brother initially and then also from listening to college/independent radio which was plentiful where I grew up so I had little exposure to much 80s music other than in mixed company (stuck in a car or at a party) and no nostalgia for it whatsoever.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 12:29pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My inability to identify with you on this is no doubt a clear indication of some of the things that are wrong with me. Granted I think I have 10 years on you so my "coming of age" or whatever it would be called had other influences. I grew up without cable/mtv/vcr. My musical experience was colored by my older brother initially and then also from listening to college/independent radio which was plentiful where I grew up so I had little exposure to much 80s music other than in mixed company (stuck in a car or at a party) and no nostalgia for it whatsoever.
This is not a dig at you rev. But I fucking hate it when I hear this "The 80s" or "80s music".

Fuck! The Pogues were "80s music".

Red Roses for Me - 1984
Rum Sodomy & the Lash - 1985
If I Should Fall from Grace with God - 1988
Peace and Love -1989

Now I could list 100s of albums from the 80s that folks here love.

Shitty generic pop music. I get it but a whole decade of crap music no.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 3:17pm
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

This is not a dig at you rev. But I fucking hate it when I hear this "The 80s" or "80s music".

Red Roses for Me - 1984
Peace and Love -1989

No fair enough because there was lots of great music from the 80s arguably some of the best certainly a lot of my favorites so I shouldn't use that term. It is a term I hear a lot stateside to describe a lot of what I hated about music from that decade but you are 100 correct and Ill try not to use that term

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 3:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Red Roses for Me - 1984
Peace and Love -1989

No fair enough because there was lots of great music from the 80s arguably some of the best certainly a lot of my favorites so I shouldn't use that term. It is a term I hear a lot stateside to describe a lot of what I hated about music from that decade but you are 100 correct and Ill try not to use that term
Yeah I hear it here plenty also. It always makes me cringe because I think you know what some people found better stuff to listen to. I think every era has it's fair share of generic pop music but the production techniques in the 80s made some stuff sound so devoid of soul.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 3:33pm
revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 3:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Red Roses for Me - 1984
Peace and Love -1989

Yeah I hear it here plenty also. It always makes me cringe because I think you know what some people found better stuff to listen to. I think every era has it's fair share of generic pop music but the production techniques in the 80s made some stuff sound so devoid of soul.