Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by Flex »

Counterpoint: how is depriving a drummer of his kit and relegating him to aimless wandering anything but a net positive?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Rolling Stone recently had a couple of articles diving into what a mess Live is. I actually saw them live on their Throwing Copper tour because I wanted to see Weezer who were opening up for them. The highlight of the evening was bumping into Jerry Harrison. One of the guys who went with us (friend of a friend) was a huge Live fan and he insisted on hanging out by the stage door, hoping to meet Ed Kowalczyk. I can't remember if he did or not. I definitely didn't wait around to find out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 11:59am
Rolling Stone recently had a couple of articles diving into what a mess Live is. I actually saw them live on their Throwing Copper tour because I wanted to see Weezer who were opening up for them. The highlight of the evening was bumping into Jerry Harrison. One of the guys who went with us (friend of a friend) was a huge Live fan and he insisted on hanging out by the stage door, hoping to meet Ed Kowalczyk. I can't remember if he did or not. I definitely didn't wait around to find out.
Being a huge fan of Live is like being a huge fan of the color beige.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 11:45am
Counterpoint: how is depriving a drummer of his kit and relegating him to aimless wandering anything but a net positive?
Some people think drummers should be actively humiliated like that. I understand the argument, but I lean toward shunning them as the lepers they are. Any pleasure derived from seeing their humiliation is negated by larger problems of acknowledging their existence in society. While they were shooting the video, they should have told the drummer to go work on "his songs" at the hotel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 12:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Being a huge fan of Live is like being a huge fan of the color beige.
:lol: God but that is devastating.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
They played my school's Spring Fling my senior year and college and I did meet him and he was fine. Much like Live! They're....fine. Too boring to even have a strong opinion on. I also saw them another time because PJ Harvey was opening up for them. Can you imagine? The NERVE.

I also read the Rolling Stone article and it's a ride!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 2:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
They played my school's Spring Fling my senior year and college and I did meet him and he was fine. Much like Live! They're....fine. Too boring to even have a strong opinion on. I also saw them another time because PJ Harvey was opening up for them. Can you imagine? The NERVE.

"Fine" like your boys Buscemi and the Afghan Whigs guy? Or "fine" like the quality of their peak musical output?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 12:02pm
Flex wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 11:45am
Some people think drummers should be actively humiliated like that. I understand the argument, but I lean toward shunning them as the lepers they are. Any pleasure derived from seeing their humiliation is negated by larger problems of acknowledging their existence in society. While they were shooting the video, they should have told the drummer to go work on "his songs" at the hotel.
Alright, you got a laugh out of me with that one.

Another notable Chad Gracey memory for me: the first issue of Modern Drummer I ever got, he was on the cover. The interview stirred a bit of controversy because he basically was like, "I don't really like drumming, I don't have drums in my house, I don't ever practice, I only do this when I need to get money."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 2:34pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 2:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:

"Fine" like your boys Buscemi and the Afghan Whigs guy? Or "fine" like the quality of their peak musical output?
Fine as in they are too beige to spend time thinking about!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 7.37.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 7.37.33 PM.png (906.94 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Something something Hoy and or Flex

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:13pm

instagram.com/p/CspHp48PWvm/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Hell yeah (I actually hated that album)

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:21pm
revbob wrote:

That band was at the top of my "most hated" list for all of jr/high school. Now they're back and they can reassume the crown.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2023, 1:12pm
Flex wrote:
24 May 2023, 7:21pm
revbob wrote:

That band was at the top of my "most hated" list for all of jr/high school. Now they're back and they can reassume the crown.
I remember their shit showing up at the radio station and going in the giveaway bin