Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 9:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 9:35am
Flex wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 8:01am
revbob wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 7:16am
Good News Flex
Damn judicial activism
No way that the Supreme Court's originalists will let that stand. People like Ginn or MacKaye did not have Slipknot in mind when they founded hardcore.
Probably parallel to the gag of this article, but slipknot always really bugged me growing up. They were popular enough that "regular" people assumed that as a punk/alternative guy I must like them, and some metalhead types I knew liked them, but they sucked shit so it always irritated me to be associated with them ever.
Same.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 12:40pm
Sonny Greer had a fucking bizarre kit:

Two gongs, tympani, vibraphone. Very orchestral approach. I guess that was the style at the time. I don't even know what the hell those things are above the bass drum below the cymbals.
I wonder if he ever played with Raymond Scott with that setup.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex Bait

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 11:46am
Flex Bait
fly me out and let me crash on your couch and i'm there :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 5:11pm
revbob wrote:
Flex Bait
Don't do it, revbob, that's how you get a Flex infestation.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 5:11pm
revbob wrote:
Flex Bait
Couch is available, that's the best I can do.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

The perfect Christmas gift for me and Hoy doesn't exist:

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Im listening to the local college radio station yesterday and this one dj is going on how she was looki g for an Elvis Costello record in a record store but it was "too expensive ". Tur s out she meant CD not record. Anyway $15 was expensive for her. Yet she apparently gladly paid $12 for an Audioslave CD and similar for a Sublime CD. Fucking Audioslave? Who buys that at all that's a record club 15 CDs for a nickel CD, Sublime too.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
15 Dec 2023, 9:26pm
So Im listening to the local college radio station yesterday and this one dj is going on how she was looki g for an Elvis Costello record in a record store but it was "too expensive ". Tur s out she meant CD not record. Anyway $15 was expensive for her. Yet she apparently gladly paid $12 for an Audioslave CD and similar for a Sublime CD. Fucking Audioslave? Who buys that at all that's a record club 15 CDs for a nickel CD, Sublime too.
Audioslave sucked so bad.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
15 Dec 2023, 9:52pm
revbob wrote:
Audioslave sucked so bad.
And speaking of Audioslave and bad album covers, yeah that's a shit album cover. Literally a picture of my shit would be better especially if Id recently had corn. Just fucking horrible.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
Hello,

I will admit to being old enough to appreciate your record club 15 CD's for a nickel comment. I never joined those things as I couldn't find 15 CD's I liked.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 1:41pm
revbob wrote:
Hello,

I will admit to being old enough to appreciate your record club 15 CD's for a nickel comment. I never joined those things as I couldn't find 15 CD's I liked.
Yeah you could maybe find one or two and then you're making serious concessions.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 2:05pm
gkbill wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 1:41pm
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Yeah you could maybe find one or two and then you're making serious concessions.
I joined the cassette version of Columbia House back in the day. That's how I came to own Born in the USA. And that was probably among the better of my picks.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I think I've mentioned this here before, but I had a Columbia record house account when I was first getting into music - it was all CDs by then, pretty much. I know traditionally the scam was that they get you with the 15 CDs for a penny thing, and then you're obligated to buy a bunch of CDs at full price, but at least by the time I joined you could game the system by buying heavily discounted box sets which then let you accrue additional free or discounted (I can't remember) single CDs. They didn't have, like, minor threat or whatever but it helped start me out on jazz CDs and 90s alternative type stuff and some classic rock. Some forgettable albums here and there, but since I was still getting into music the ability to explore wasn't bad.

Pex Lives!