Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Hey Flex (Late 90's One Hit Wonder Edition)

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:Re: LFAS, that album was on play constantly for me the summer it came out. I was enamored with it. I think it was around the same time Hello Nasty was released. Great soundtrack for summer.

Fuck, I don't even need to play the videos. I remember both bands and Buck O Nine wins it. Love that group.

Battle of the shitty but sort of unforgettable songs:

Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy:

or

Tag Team - Whoomp... There It Is:
I figured Buck O was a no brainer.
Right Said Fred is pretty absurd, but I'm going with Tag Team only because hearing that song triggers NBA Jam flashbacks.

90's Jamaican hip hop duel (skipping the alt hip hop this time, 3 Coffins)
Ini Kamoze - Here Comes the Hot Stepper
[youtube][/youtube]

Inner Circle - Bad Boys (technically 89)
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by matedog on 29 Apr 2009, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Suzanne H. wrote:A couple other songs I remember liking (not sure if thier one-hit-wonders) are 'Mistake' by Serial Joe and 'Steal My Sunshine' by Ren or whatever the fuck thier called. I liked The Tea Party as well.

I blame my age for this. :disshame: :twitch:
Len. I was probably going to get to that one eventually. I have it on the Go soundtrack. I never heard of Serial Joe. The clip I found online was from muchmusic so perhaps they never made it past the border.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:90's Jamaican hip hop duel (skipping the alt hip hop this time, 3 Coffins)

I'm gonna go with Ini Kamoze for several reasons. 1) I do actually like the song, 2) The opposition was, as you say, technically from the 80s, 3) Inner Circle has some pretty rough guilt by association.

OMC - How Bizarre
[youtube][/youtube]

or

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
(Embedding disabled)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:90's Jamaican hip hop duel (skipping the alt hip hop this time, 3 Coffins)

I'm gonna go with Ini Kamoze for several reasons. 1) I do actually like the song, 2) The opposition was, as you say, technically from the 80s, 3) Inner Circle has some pretty rough guilt by association.

OMC - How Bizarre

or

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
(Embedding disabled)
It's weird, I definitely liked Save Tonight more when it came out, but ten years later, I might have to side with OMC. It's kind of a goofy little tune and it seems to hold up a little better. It was a tough decision though. Oh and my mom met the trumpet player or something from OMC at an airport once. True story.

Very very late 90's pop rock showdown:
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Do Right
[youtube][/youtube]

Stroke 9 - Little Black Backpack
http://vodpod.com/watch/1529989-stroke- ... k-backpack (I could only find shitty covers on youtube)

I have at least two more match ups on deck, btw.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Showdown)

Post by Heston »

[youtube][/youtube]

or

[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

For matedog's: Jimmie's Chicken Shack wins band versus band, but Little Black Backpack wins the song contest.

For Heston's: Mighty Mighty Bosstones, both the particular song and the band as a whole. Eviscerates the competition.

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
[youtube][/youtube]

or

Veruca Salt - Seether
[youtube][/youtube]

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

[quote="Heston"][/quote]

First off, you have to answer the previous one before stating a new match up. Secondly, pick something more obscure!!!

Consequently, I'm not going to pick one on this but I will make two comments:
1. The Walking on the Sun intro is pretty nifty
2. How bad must it be to play full shows in suits? I'm sweating just watching that video.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
First off, you have to answer the previous one before stating a new match up. Secondly, pick something more obscure!!!

Consequently, I'm not going to pick one on this but I will make two comments:
1. The Walking on the Sun intro is pretty nifty
2. How bad must it be to play full shows in suits? I'm sweating just watching that video.
I can only work on what were hits in the UK that you lot would know. Which leaves Smash Mouth and MM Bosstones. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm saddened to hear Mazzy Star described as one-hit wonders. It's pure Sylvia Plath music, but I love Hope Sandoval's voice (good lookin' woman, too).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm saddened to hear Mazzy Star described as one-hit wonders. It's pure Sylvia Plath music, but I love Hope Sandoval's voice (good lookin' woman, too).
Well, they only had one song hit the Billboard Hot 100 so they're pretty much the definition of One Hit Wonders. Did have three chart on U.S. Modern Rock, I guess. Still, "one hit wonder" status isn't necessarily that bad. Hell, the Meat Puppets qualify as a one hit wonder.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:For matedog's: Jimmie's Chicken Shack wins band versus band, but Little Black Backpack wins the song contest.

For Heston's: Mighty Mighty Bosstones, both the particular song and the band as a whole. Eviscerates the competition.

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

or

Veruca Salt - Seether
Mazzy Star is a very pretty song but just a bit...dull. It's the same chord progression throughout and stays at the same dynamic. The chick is quite purty and in spite of FIY being on the Angus soundtrack, I will give the edge to Seether because I definitely dug it more back in the day and it is still fun. I might enjoy Fade Into You in the context of a full album more though.

Early 90's Dance Showdown Part 3: Two Hit Wonders (the second, lesser hit):
Technotronic - Move This
[youtube][/youtube]
Side note - I remember Cindy Crawford being in this video but apparently that's not the case. Upon some investigation this song was used in Revlon ads with Mr. Crawford back in the day, hence my confusion.

or

CC and the Music Factory - Things That Make You Go Hmmm
[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm saddened to hear Mazzy Star described as one-hit wonders. It's pure Sylvia Plath music, but I love Hope Sandoval's voice (good lookin' woman, too).
Well, they only had one song hit the Billboard Hot 100 so they're pretty much the definition of One Hit Wonders. Did have three chart on U.S. Modern Rock, I guess. Still, "one hit wonder" status isn't necessarily that bad. Hell, the Meat Puppets qualify as a one hit wonder.
Oh, I know that they meet the definition—it's just that OHW often has a pejorative connotation.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Oh, I know that they meet the definition—it's just that OHW often has a pejorative connotation.
I think this thread is all about OHW boosterism.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Early 90's Dance Showdown Part 3: Two Hit Wonders (the second, lesser hit):
Technotronic - Move This

Side note - I remember Cindy Crawford being in this video but apparently that's not the case. Upon some investigation this song was used in Revlon ads with Mr. Crawford back in the day, hence my confusion.

or

CC and the Music Factory - Things That Make You Go Hmmm
I'm gonna go with CC and the Music Factory, although these are both quite possibly some of the most dated songs yet to appear in this thread (and no, I haven't forgotten Right Said Fred). Still, catchy stuff.

Okay, here's a decent showdown:

Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
(Embedding disabled)

or

Eve 6 - Inside Out
[youtube][/youtube]

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Fucked up the formatting.
Last edited by matedog on 29 Apr 2009, 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.