Fugazi

General music discussion.
Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Re: Fugazi

Post by Still216 »

Wolter wrote: If "Waiting Room" doesn't hook you into the world of Fugazi (TM), you might as well give up on them.
The best introduction to the uninitiated might be the Instrument DVD. It's hard to beat the live Last Chance For A Slow Dance and Shut The Door on there, never mind Guy singing Glue Man suspended from a basketball hoop (they don't show him falling into the drums).

Thanks to whoever started this. Now I got some Kill Taker on the stereo. "Irony is the refuge of the educated, always complaining but they never quit"...Jesus Christ, I often forget how much Fugazi fucking rules. Thanks for the reminder.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

eumaas wrote:personally rate Argument as their best record
Argument is fantastic. It's hard to believe an album that visceral and innovative was released that late into their run.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

threecoffins wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:It was a great show. Maybe 100-150 in the audience. It was in a church function hall in Cambridge, MA. $5 at the door with MacKaye and Lally working the door for a while. I saw them 5 times in all, each show go bigger than the last. They played a great show in 1990 or 1991 at Mass College of Art which was killer. Again, $5.
Another of a long list of bands I missed by virtue of living in a town that was slightly off the touring routes.

If they ever get back together I will literally kill to see them if I have to.
1991 would have made me 8-9 years old. I don't even want to think about what I might have been listening to at the time :rolleyes:
Weird Al.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

YES PLEASE ONE HELPING OF FUGAZI THANKS. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Kory Pox wrote:
threecoffins wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:It was a great show. Maybe 100-150 in the audience. It was in a church function hall in Cambridge, MA. $5 at the door with MacKaye and Lally working the door for a while. I saw them 5 times in all, each show go bigger than the last. They played a great show in 1990 or 1991 at Mass College of Art which was killer. Again, $5.
Another of a long list of bands I missed by virtue of living in a town that was slightly off the touring routes.

If they ever get back together I will literally kill to see them if I have to.
1991 would have made me 8-9 years old. I don't even want to think about what I might have been listening to at the time :rolleyes:
Weird Al.
No, he was a lit-tle too classy for me back then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 8:00am
Interview with IM on Steady Diet:
https://thebattleground.eu/2022/02/16/t ... interview/
This is great. Steady Diet was my first Fugazi record and I still have a soft spot for it. I remember loving it when I first got it, then feeling it was flat compared to some of their other material, and in the last couple years I've come around to its greatness again. This interview gets deeper into what was briefly touched on in that 33 1/3 about Killtaker, which is Steady Diet was supposed to be the record made with the band as "pure democracy." Ian laments the results a bit in that book, so I'm glad he's revised his tune somewhat here.

IM is consistently one of the best interviews in music. If I have a "hero" in music, he's close to it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I never experienced the contemporary backlash with Steady Diet. Yes, everyone listened to the early eps and Repeater more, but most people I knew just thought it wasn’t quite as good as the absolute masterpieces released before it. Like, an A-after some A+ stuff.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 4:43pm
IM is consistently one of the best interviews in music. If I have a "hero" in music, he's close to it.
I really really wish I liked Fugazi more on an aesthetic—as much as anything, the hyperactive dominant bass hinders my enjoyment too much—because IM really is the model for living a moral life on punk standards. In practice, it's out of reach for most, but the existence of a living, breathing practitioner is so important.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 8:00am
Interview with IM on Steady Diet:
https://thebattleground.eu/2022/02/16/t ... interview/
This is great. Steady Diet was my first Fugazi record and I still have a soft spot for it. I remember loving it when I first got it, then feeling it was flat compared to some of their other material, and in the last couple years I've come around to its greatness again. This interview gets deeper into what was briefly touched on in that 33 1/3 about Killtaker, which is Steady Diet was supposed to be the record made with the band as "pure democracy." Ian laments the results a bit in that book, so I'm glad he's revised his tune somewhat here.

Yeah, agree with these sentiments

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 6:38pm
Flex wrote:
I really really wish I liked Fugazi more on an aesthetic—as much as anything, the hyperactive dominant bass hinders my enjoyment too much—because IM really is the model for living a moral life on punk standards. In practice, it's out of reach for most, but the existence of a living, breathing practitioner is so important.
MAN, Lally is the best part!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 5:54pm
I never experienced the contemporary backlash with Steady Diet. Yes, everyone listened to the early eps and Repeater more, but most people I knew just thought it wasn’t quite as good as the absolute masterpieces released before it. Like, an A-after some A+ stuff.
Most of the criticism I've read is that it seems sluggish comparatively. I guess I get it, but slow doesn't equal bad...

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 2:58pm
Wolter wrote:
Most of the criticism I've read is that it seems sluggish comparatively. I guess I get it, but slow doesn't equal bad...
I always thought the slower numbers added a bit of a nice dub-style change of pace.

Weirdly, I felt like there was a short lived local backlash in my local scene against Killtaker for being retrograde and too much of an attempt to sound hard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 2:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 6:38pm
Flex wrote:
MAN, Lally is the best part!
I get why you'd be drawn to that, but it's just not an approach that appeals to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 3:10pm
Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 2:58pm
Wolter wrote:
I always thought the slower numbers added a bit of a nice dub-style change of pace.

Weirdly, I felt like there was a short lived local backlash in my local scene against Killtaker for being retrograde and too much of an attempt to sound hard.
Killtaker is a favorite of mine, but I wish the bass were a little more present. It's got a bit more of a harsh, top-endy sound.