Re: I can't stand the blues

Post by ChicoHarris »

Lonnie Brooks performing on National Public Radio tonight:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =105096030

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

So, a while back for my birthday, my dear parents - with the best of intentions in their hearts - bought me tickets to see Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood in concert. Needless to say... not my first choice of concerts, but I really appreciate the thought (they're damned good tickets and my dad would look at this as pretty much the best concert one could go to). So, anyways, I've been trying to sort through a lot of the Clapton discography to see what I can find palatable (hence seeing Cream, Yardbirds, etc. come up in my last.fm a lot). I do like his early stuff, and I hear the concerts have been pretty heavy on Blind Faith material and Hendrix covers, so that would sit alright with me. But, yeah, there's a worthwhile tidbit here and there in some of his solo stuff but... damned, lot's of crap. But, hey, gotta acclimatize myself I guess.

I think Eric Clapton should play with Gwar.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I want you to shriek like a teenage girl in heat if he plays that crap song about his dead kid.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I want you to shriek like a teenage girl in heat if he plays that crap song about his dead kid.
Which one is that?

Addendum: Oh, "Tears in Heaven." I think that might be too new. From what I understand of the tour, it really doesn't dip into material released after the 70s. I usually hate that shit, but with Clapton and Winwood, that's likely for the best.

Pex Lives!

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Flex wrote:I think Eric Clapton should play with Gwar.
no chops
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:I usually hate that shit, but with Clapton and Winwood, that's likely the only thing that will keep me from digging my eardrums out with a pickle fork.
Wolterized.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I want you to shriek like a teenage girl in heat if he plays that crap song about his dead kid.
Which one is that?

Addendum: Oh, "Tears in Heaven." I think that might be too new. From what I understand of the tour, it really doesn't dip into material released after the 70s. I usually hate that shit, but with Clapton and Winwood, that's likely for the best.
That's a pity. I'd really like you to disrupt a poig-nant moment by shrieking inappropriately.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:That's a pity. I'd really like you to disrupt a poig-nant moment by shrieking inappropriately.
I like think of it as "going Oswalt."

Pex Lives!

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:That's a pity. I'd really like you to disrupt a poig-nant moment by shrieking inappropriately.
I like think of it as "going Oswolter."
clarified!
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Flex

Post by Flex »

rcs wrote:
Flex wrote:
clarified!
Awww... snap.

I really hope this leads to an rcs/Wolter dance-off.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
rcs wrote:
Flex wrote:
clarified!
Awww... snap.

I really hope this leads to an rcs/Wolter dance-off.
AHAHAHAHA!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I have a Clapton/Winwood live album from last year. It's pretty excellent. Definitely plays to Clapton's strengths. You don't have to sit through any bullshit Phil Collins productions, they didn't play Tears in Heaven, hell, they didn't even play Layla. It's gonna be a pretty damn cool show, because it draws from the high points of Clapton's catalogue and almost none of the bullshit.

Plus, you can't really get tickets to that tour at this point anyway. I thought about going to one of those shows in Oakland (not because I'm a Clapton nut but because I'm facing a boring, long, unemployed summer), and it was $70 for back-side seating, which means you don't get to see shit, and that was all that was left.

Anyway, I enjoyed the live album a good deal, and that's coming from a guy who really finds Clapton annoying and a component of the white guy blues bastardization that's poisoning the form.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Billy Joel wrote:I have a Clapton/Winwood live album from last year. It's pretty excellent. Definitely plays to Clapton's strengths. You don't have to sit through any bullshit Phil Collins productions, they didn't play Tears in Heaven, hell, they didn't even play Layla. It's gonna be a pretty damn cool show, because it draws from the high points of Clapton's catalogue and almost none of the bullshit.

Plus, you can't really get tickets to that tour at this point anyway. I thought about going to one of those shows in Oakland (not because I'm a Clapton nut but because I'm facing a boring, long, unemployed summer), and it was $70 for back-side seating, which means you don't get to see shit, and that was all that was left.

Anyway, I enjoyed the live album a good deal, and that's coming from a guy who really finds Clapton annoying and a component of the white guy blues bastardization that's poisoning the form.
I take heart from this analysis.

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

He's not gonna set his guitar on fire, but it's definitely gonna be more enjoyable than the mediocrity of every lame indie band you'll have the chance to see this summer. Given the choice between Clapton and Vampire Weekend or whatever the hell kids like, I'd pick Clapton.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Billy Joel wrote:He's not gonna set his guitar on fire, but it's definitely gonna be more enjoyable than the mediocrity of every lame indie band you'll have the chance to see this summer. Given the choice between Clapton and Vampire Weekend or whatever the hell kids like, I'd pick Clapton.
That's soooo last summer.